General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 01:32 PM
BillyV
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Harley?

IT"S ALL ABOUT THE RIDE!

-Billy

Old 12-13-2004, 12:54 PM
hdsoul
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: pilot1996

6.Fake orgasm contests at Sturgis.......[sm=goodidea.gif]

Really?
[sm=smiley32.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=smiley32.gif] Yep.really.And most of em don't even fake it!

Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

A buddy at work and I were talking about Sturgis yesterday. We plan to make the trip, but this year we will be otherwise engaged. [:@]

It sounds like a hoot.

Cheers,

Mac

Old 12-23-2004, 01:36 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

We still need a few of the new guys to answer the question. Why did you pick your current ride, and which bikes are in your history?

Old 12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Hey sincecrazy, I can print shirts, and would be proud to make you a couple of shirts blasting the wingnuts. E-mail me your company logo and I'll do it for you.

P.S. my neighbours father has a wing and he's having a beer with me a couple of months ago, and his wife comes over and asks if my bike is a wing. Stupid bitch, I almost punched her, insulting me like that.

Old 12-24-2004, 02:26 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

I've answered this so many times, I have what I call my "Canned Response #1" ready to copy & paste. Here 'tis:

I really don't care what make of bike anybody else rides. It's their choice, their money, their problem. I don't care if some steenkin' RUB Sidewalk Commando Drugstore Cowboy Nose Pickin' Wannabe can't tell the difference between a Harley and a YamaHonSuzKaw. They have the right to exhibit their ignorance any time they choose. Hey, it provides a bit of entertainment in a sometimes dull day!

I know HDs are generally more expensive to initially purchase. I rode 'em when they weren't considered all that reliable. When I started riding the "normal" choice was between HD, Brit twins, strange European bikes, or somewhat more reliable, but really cheesy lookin' Japanese bikes. I almost chose a Triumph for my first bike, but the owner wrecked it a week before I was going to buy it. In 1973 I looked at Honda 750s, Kawasaki 900s, and new Sportsters. I ended up buying a chopped year old Sporty for about the same price a new one cost, and about $700 - $1000 more than the others. Ten years later I sold it to a brother for what I paid for it. It was a good deal for both of us.

I had a 1978 FLH dresser with a 3 speed hand shift and foot clutch for almost 19 years. It never once stranded me, and had one top end job on it. It had 200,000 miles on it when I sold it, completely torn down and in boxes, ready for its second rebuild. I sold it for $900 less than it cost new. Again, it was a good deal for both parties.

I now have a 1987 FLST with over 100,000 miles on it. I bought it used and maybe a wee bit abused, but it has been a pretty good bike, needing nothing more than the normal maintenance. Of course, a couple times I didn't do that "normal" stuff, and the bike let me know about it. Nothing to do with the quality of the bike, just the dunderhead riding it!

Choosing an HD was a visceral thing. I'm a product of a motorcycle riding Dad, weaned on old Indian Scouts and Chiefs, taken to see a friend's collection of Panheads every chance we got. I'm also someone that simply has to mess with things to "improve" 'em. And of course, I came of age with Easy Rider. What chance did I have but to choose HD?

In the cruiser world of motorcycling, which is the largest segment of motorcycling, HD reigns supreme. They define what a cruiser is. They sell more than the other brands combined. The others are in the cruiser market to make money, and the only way to make money is to pay homage to HD, either in engine design, or sometimes only in the general look of the bike. That is indisputable. Look at the roots of the cruisers and they all stem from HD. And HD got its start in what we call cruisers by copying what individuals were doing to their bikes.

So much for why I like HD. I can throw in other stuff like parts availability, but for most people that cuts no ice 'cause they generally don't keep a bike long enough for it to matter. The other companies that build cruisers don't interest me, as a whole. I do like a few of the individual pieces that are used on them. They become fodder for my imagination, and sometimes these pieces fit into the design of whatever I'm working on. But, and this is just my opinion, though I'll admit it ain't exactly a humble one, every one of the foreign cruisers somehow misses "it". There is always something that pulls my eye off the totality of the bike, and makes me wonder why?

Truth be told, even the HDs miss "it". And that's why I have the bike I have, and why it looks like it does. And for me, that's all that matters.

Old 01-05-2005, 08:54 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

BigDaddyToy

Not sure if you are gonna visit this forum again but I thought your question was reasonable.

As I understand it the other brand bikes are mostly more hi tech and more reliable and cheaper to buy. So if you want max hi tech and max reliability all at an affordable price then HD would not be the first place to look.

On the other hand, if you want a bike with real looks, character, charm and personaility then you won't beat an HD. A ride on a Harley is a unique experience so it not only looks great but it feels great. It is a reliable bike with a fantastic v-twin and an original Harley look and sound. For me its about "quality" and not max technology and price. An HD is quality!

Old 01-05-2005, 09:18 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip I gotta say that you have a great answer to that question.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 AM
howartthou
Cruiser

Yeah...mine pales in comparison but I am racking up the posts [sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For me, it's because it just fees right, sits right, sounds right, rides right, and smells right!

Quick Reply: Why Harley?