General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:58 AM
WBNiner
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Harley?

I ride a Harley simply because I love the VROD. I did not buy a HD for the name, the tradition or the image. With that said I love all of those things! I still love riding my Triumph at times, but the VROD has become my favorite bike. It has the power of my sport bike and can handle like a dream. It also has the relaxed seating position and ofcourse that wonderful name, image and tradition. The VROD also is such a distinctive bike. There is no other motorcycle like it. It has all the technology of the Japanese bikes, with the history of HD. I always admired HDs, but the old style cruiser image was just not for me, but when the VROD came out that is when I said "I want a Harley!" This is my first visit to the forum and thought I would just jump right in.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome WBNiner, it's good to have you with us.

Old 11-19-2004, 12:43 PM
teamroper40
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why Harley? Good question. I've rode several jap bikes, I've had about every brand dirt bike. All were wore out when I got them. My first street bike was a 160 Honda when I was 15. It's been so long I don't even remember what year the bike was. I've had several street bikes since. I've always wanted a Harley. I refused to buy one for while because a few of the guys here at work that road the Harleys were bums and Jerks but thinking back they would still be bums and jerks no matter if they rode or not. They would always make fun of the rice burners (even though they couldn't keep up with my V45 in the quarter. But I've long outgrown thinking like that. I've finally have gotten to a stage in my life where my wife and I have time to travel a little and live out our life long dream. So I finally bought the bike I have always dreamed of owning. It's not because it's whats cool right now. It's not because it the fastest bike on the market. It's sure not because it the smoothest bagger there is. It's because it's what I like and because it's what I've always wanted. Don't know why, It's just because.
That's why I ride a Harley. And I'm loving it. Life is good!

Old 11-23-2004, 01:18 PM
BlackBetty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the easy answer would be, my old man is all about the Harleys. But that is not the case. First I bought a Honda Nighthawk. Nice bike, but not really what I was looking for. When it started acting up I had the oportunity to ride my friends Honda Shadow 600. Very nice bike, no zip! I looked around, found a Suzuki Intruder 800. Took it for a test drive. Bought it! Man, I loved that bike. Comfortable (after some minor ad ons), very zippy, still had more to give at 90! But in the end it was just an 800. So I bought a 2004 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (this bike is currently for sale!) This bike was just ok, not real zippy, little bit more top heavy than the 800. Could be a great bike with some mods(seat, forward controls, etc..). I started look at mods, then thought "why?". So I started looking at the Harleys, found some that were ok. End of the model year stuff(in San Diego thats not much). Longer story short I ended up in Youngstown, Ohio Harley. They had a very nice Heritage on the floor for a good price! I bought it! Rode it to PA, then to San Diego, CA!
I can only say one thing....
MAN I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!
She's got 7300 miles on her and gets riden every day. And every day I say to myself...
MAN I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!

Old 11-23-2004, 01:24 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

BlackBetty,

How were things in Youngstown when you were there? Haven't been there in like 4 years and that was only for a weekend. Did you take the North route or the South route to SD? How was the trip?

Old 11-23-2004, 05:44 PM
BlackBetty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the North route. 80 to 76 into Denver, 70 out of Denver to 15 into San Diego. Could have done it in 4 days, but I stopped to ride Zion National Park, so it totaled 5. It was a great trip all in all. It was usually cold and rainy in the mid states, but I only got soaked 1 time. That was in Utah, during a sudden thunderstorm. Lasted for about a mile. Once I rode out of it, it only took half hour to dry out completely.
I think next year I'm only going to have time to ride up to Denver and back. Bummer!

Ride on......

Old 11-24-2004, 01:13 AM
Lovetoride
Grand HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: 12Stones

Back to the original question at hand: it's never been anything other than Harley for me. The fascination with Harleys started when I was 12 and a biker club would come every year to my next door neighbor's house (she was like 85 or 90 at the time) and would spend the weekend with her and completely clean her house while spending time with her and taking her for rides on her bike. They'd see me on the porch and invite me over to sit on their bikes and would just shoot the breeze with me. They'd been doing that trip to the old lady's house for like 10 years and for the two years I lived next to her before she died I'd wait until they came so I could be part of the gang after that. They all had Harleys and that's all I ever wanted.
Great story Ricky...

Ryan

Old 11-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Ironhead
Stellar HDF Member

Ryan, I have to agree with you. Ricky's story is one of those that warm your heart.

Same as when you hear the sound of a Harley.

I've yet to hear someone say, "I love the sound of that Suzuki" [X(]

Old 11-24-2004, 10:38 AM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Ironhead

I've yet to hear someone say, "I love the sound of that Suzuki" [X(]
Ironhead, do you think you ever will?

Old 11-24-2004, 10:44 AM
BClem
Banned