General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 12:38 AM
Driften
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st bike was a Honda CB-1 back in 1992, found I did not like a crotch rocket style of bike.... then last Oct I got interested again and wanted a cruiser and started with a Yamaha XV-250 as a learner bike. Now have my Deluxe and its like it was built just for me! Nothing else I have set on fits me. So the answer for me in "Why Harley" is "It Fits my body and soul"

Old 09-13-2009, 02:55 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Scout
We are all obviously Harley guy's, but why?

What did you ride in the past, and why the change to H.D.

FYI, I've had a couple of wings, a shadow, CB 750, rode a Venture and had ton's of dirt bikes, and still own a DT250 (yamaha). My Ultra was a gift from the wife, after a ride at Mt. Rushmore, where the Harley guy's were just way more fun than the Wing nut's. I just couldn't be associated with the wingers anymore. Came over to H.D. after that, and realized that I wasted many good riding years on rice.
I think you answered the question - why buy a motorcycle and hang around with the kind of geeks that ride most of them, when you can be part of the Harley subculture. You can't get that with a Honda copy, a BMW or a metrosexual sport bike.

Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 AM
Trex
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's like wearing a really nice hand made Horse Hide leather jacket thats broke in and comfortable or goin for the cheesy plastic jacket that sorta looks like the really good one just because it's cheaper.Over the years I've ridden a lot of jap bikes offered up by aquantances or relatives to try out and felt very uncomfotable on them,like walking down the street in a clown suit sorta way.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:02 AM
psyco1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted something to ride when I didn't want to really ride.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:36 AM
kykurnal
Tourer

A couple of weeks ago I went riding with a group - two of which rode Yammy rockets (a father/son team). The son told us he would never, ever consider a cruiser and especially a Harley. He bet me that when he turned fifty, he would still be riding a speedster. That was a bet the rest of the group wanted in on - and not all are Harley riders. Life is a great educator - but you have to pay attention.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 AM
Brightonrider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 750 Honda, 1100 Honda Shadow, and an 1300 Yamaha Tourer.
All great bikes! My Hondas were all built in Ohio. I now own a 2010 RoadGlide.
Really like it. I'll never ever say anything bad about my metrics. Rode them all together about 80,000 miles. NEVER had to have any work done on them other than normal maintainance...the same could not be said for my HD freinds...they were having their bikes worked on all the time. Most people buy metrics with the attitude that they will never need any major work done on them...just ride and enjoy. Not so with the HD...high maintanance bike! All three added together cost less than my RoadGlide. In fact my Yamaha was the best touring bike I have ever had...just as good on the road as my new Harley. Always wanted to try a Harley...happy with the bike so far. But don't bash my metrics...this HD is going to have to really perform to be better than my metrics. I hope in 4 years I can say this HD was the best bike I have ever owned...but as of now I need a little convincing. And don't bash the 'Geeks' who ride them...most good people...and serious riders. Just finished a 600 mile ride through Missouri. Three of the riders had Goldwings. After trying to stay with them for two days you get a whole new attitude toward ' rice burners '. And I will never be a ' Harley Guy '...I'm a motorcycle guy!
RonC

Last edited by Brightonrider; 09-13-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 AM
dcobra23
Tourer

Well ever since I bought my 1st Harley my past riding buddies never call me anymore or even answer my calls. They ride Roadstars?

I love my Harley and the new life I found. I hooked with a new bunch and life is better than ever.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

For me growing up on a farm in the 50/60's and loving the sound of 2 cylinder John Deere tractors working,then hearing a Harley especially going up long hills,was what changed my life forever.Bought my first Harley in 62,have built and owned many since then.Also own and restore 2 cylinder John Deere tractors.Life is good!

Old 09-13-2009, 08:48 AM
The Reverend D
Tourer

BigDaddyToy,

This is a great question! I've ridden my Superglide for three years now and have loved every damned minute of it, but I owned several bikes in the past that were not HD and loved them too.

There's no question that the HD is an expensive bike to maintain. This is the first new bike I've owned and so I've had every service done. Each service is in the region of $300-$500 dollars, and they are at 1000/2500/5000/7500 etc. miles. I racked up that mileage pretty fast so, in addition to my monthly payments to HD Financial, it's been an expensive proposition.

Mostly I fantasize about being able to customize the bike, but the thought of being able to spend any cash on this bike above the monthly payment is fantasy right now for my wife and I. Frustrating.

NOW, having said all that, mechanically, the bike has been sound. After three years of riding (24,000 miles, which isn't much compared to some of the guys on this board...) and the bike needs some small stuff, like new grips, etc.

Other than that, I'm still on the same battery as when I bought it, there've been no mechanical issues except one "recall-type" issue that the dealer took care of and it's been a joy to ride and own.

The SG is a really superb machine. Virtually overlooked by HD but I'm 6'3" and I've ridden that thing around the country, and up and down the east coast as well as local rides and I can tell you that it's great for all of it. I can cruise for long distances (Denver, CO. - Sacramento, CA. two days) and I can have a great time throwing it around curvy country roads.

My buddy Butch is hitting almost 70,000 miles on his SG and it's going great.

Mechanically I'd not put them in the same class as a lot of jap bikes in terms of reliability and so on, because they do need attention (my old cb 750 sat through 12 years of 4 seasons with no cover at my buddies house until I rescued it and it started up first time with new gas and fluids and gave me 35,000 miles without hassle...).

BUT having said that, I think that my HD is an incredible bike and I'm willing to give it the small extra amount of attention it needs for the absolute joy of riding it. There really is something undefinable about these bikes. They really are different.

Also, I'm finally learning to work on it myself and it's pretty damn cool. I'm trying to get myself a garage built so I can have a workshop too.

Check out my website if you want to see pics of the bike on my two-wheeled tour for CF back in 2006. It was pretty cool!

Old 09-13-2009, 09:15 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

It's what I'm riding at the moment, and I like dressing like a gay pirate.

Quick Reply: Why Harley?