General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 08:22 PM
WhiteEagle
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why Harley?

hi joe...i rode a Kawasaki ZX7R for awhile befor coming over to Harley...don't get me wrong i miss the fun and thrills of the Crotch Rocket but my wife wanted me to buy a Harley so she could go on rides with me so hense....here i am....lol.....

Old 02-20-2005, 12:36 PM
scatterbrain
Cruiser

Whiteeagle, still got the Kawi? You should be able to have both, I figure. Riding's a buffet and I'd like to chow down with the best of what's on the table. So I plan to make my garage "Hog with a side of Pasta" LOL!
Ride and let ride,
Bill

Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM
ebaswell
Advanced

I took the MSF Basic Riders course two summers ago because I planned to buy a motorcycle. I wanted a Harley so bad I couldn't see straight, but I honestly didn't think I'd be able to afford one. I didn't want a Sportster, and even the Dynas were creeping out of my price range. I had my heart set on a Harley (here's why, from an earlier post)
ORIGINAL: ebaswell

Awesome. The Heritage Softail is the bike that really opened my eyes to Harley Davidson. Motorcycles were just another vehicle on the road until a friend of mine bought a brand new FLSTC back in 1990. I was like a 10 year old boy who just snuck his first look at his dad's Playboy stash..."Wow, I gotta have one of those!"
I came very close to settling for a Honda VTX last summer. I had been into the Honda dealer half a dozen times, sitting on the bike, talking to the salesman...but I just couldn't pull the trigger. I knew everytime a big Harley rode by, I'd get ***** envy, and I'd be pissed at myself for not waiting.

I finally bought my RK in December, and it was worth every second of the wait. I have several friends with metrics, and we all ride and have fun. I wave to everyone on two wheels, I'm not a Harley snob by any stretch. But for me personally, I just wasn't going to be happy unless it was a Harley-Davidson.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:40 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My husband and I bought a Shadow last May. We are now hopeing to bring home our DWG by this weekend.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:13 PM
RWPDALLAS
Novice

I love people that ride bikes for years..then suddenly get a Harley and think other bikes don't exist or use a derrogatory term to describe their old brand. I have owned several HD's and several other bikes thru the years. I love and respect the HD brand and 'what The Motor Company has done for the motorcycle industry for over 100 years. NO other other brand compares to the fit and finish, or the variety of styles and options that HD offers. Can't wait to get my next bike....Springer Classic!

But, put blinders on the rider...and there are many bikes out there that would make it impossible to know what brand you are on. So to say all other bikes don't compare just does not make any sense to me. Now, if you are talking about the overall ownership experience...HOG, the brand loyalty and 'brotherhood" that comes with riding a Harley...then that makes a difference.

I will put my knowledge of motorcycles and of HD up against most people. But sorry, whether I am on my Harley or my VTX, when I am riding thru the country, wind in my hair, sun in my face, hearing the rumble of the pipes......the brand of the bike adds nothing to the true actual riding experience. Give me a break and quit drinking the Kool Aid.

If you know the history, you know that Motorcycles and Bikers has always been about freedom and riding. To me, that means people should ride what they want and to hell with what anyone else thinks!

But if you have always wanted a Harley or think it would be cool to have one...I don't think any other bike will ever scratch that itch.

Live Free / Ride Free

Ride Safe--Rick

2000 FLSTC
2002 VTX1800

Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 AM
investorsc
Road Master

I think it starts by taking pride in the riding itself. (I type as my knees hurt from Motocross all those years ago).... Then you start to take pride in your ride (Whatever the make). Then you realize that you don't want to do this alone and you want the very best......... For most- that progression is Harley. Love it and never look back.

BRUCE

Old 02-24-2005, 02:48 PM
JTC3495
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been riding dirt bikes for about 15 years, but in 2000 I decided to get a street bike.I looked at a lot of bike from buell to triumph to hondas.After a bunch of searching I picked a 1200c sporty.I kept that bike for about a year.Then I thought I needed to go faster and bought a triumph speed triple.It was afun bike but no Harley.I then bought a dual sport honda 650 & ktm 650.Sold those and bought my first big Harley a 89 FLHS.It was a great bike.I kept that for about a year.I went about 6 months with no Harley and I was frustrated the whole time.Finally this month I decided for sanity's sake to get another Harley.The way I fell when Iam riding the Harley is incomperable.It is my best way of getting rid of stress.I found my 99 Heritage Springer Softail a couple weeks ago and I cant get it off my mind.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Last weekend I went winter camping at my brothers cottage, (we went to burn it down, as it was a derilict purchase) and it was -17 degrees at night. Anyways, we went on a Honda 350 quad, and it started in the morning! I couldn't believe it.

Point of the story, my HD is in the garage, and I am having problems with my respect for Honda products.

Please, someone, send me a soundbite of an HD.

(It's almost spring! f-n groundhog)

Old 03-10-2005, 04:04 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and I am having problems with my respect for Honda products.
Not a problem of respect as long as it's prioritized right.

Old 03-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Pirate
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

Last weekend I went winter camping at my brothers cottage, (we went to burn it down, as it was a derilict purchase) and it was -17 degrees at night. Anyways, we went on a Honda 350 quad, and it started in the morning! I couldn't believe it.

Point of the story, my HD is in the garage, and I am having problems with my respect for Honda products.

Please, someone, send me a soundbite of an HD.

(It's almost spring! f-n groundhog)

Click HEAR

Quick Reply: Why Harley?