General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts
Default RE: Why Harley?

ORIGINAL: Ironhead

Just the sound of a Harley makes me wanna'
The dancing head still makes me laugh.

Old 02-12-2005, 09:46 PM
Pirate
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nubiker...

I would not call it a mid life crisis, but more of a mid life discovery!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:49 PM
jfamoly
Intermediate

My nieghbor thinks his honda 750 spirit is better than the sporty I am getting next month. I'll be shure to let him know that harley is number one over my left sholder as I'm passing him. As for the original question I think that Harleys are in my blood, my grandmother(rip) rode an old chopped police edition she called beuford and my grandfather stills owns a shop in MS. One of my first memories was helping my uncle rebuild his shovel head. His shop smelled of sardines, gas, and pot smoke. I remember when he kicked it over for the first time they made me go inside and watch from the window because of the noise and me being about six. I stood there watching and when he finnialy got it kicked over the windows ratttled it is still the coolest thing that i have ever seen I have been hooked ever since and after numerious jap. bikes I am finally at a point in my life that I can afford what I want in less than a month it will be reality and another generation is born. The best thing is the look that I see in my daughter's eyes when I am messing with the bike I can tell it is in her blood too. sometimes life is grand.

Old 02-13-2005, 01:46 PM
mikesfxsti
Cruiser

When your on a Harley, you know your on a real bike, solid, well made, with a personality. I don't get that from the Japanese cruisers. They lack that personality and in my opinion seem pretty cheaply made, no craftsmanship, just a bunch of plastic put together. I see the Japanese cruisers with aftermarket exhaust and all. They sound like crap, just loud and very annoying. It's basically "polishing a turd".

Old 02-13-2005, 03:37 PM
jfamoly
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: mikesfxsti

It's basically "polishing a turd".
What do you recomend to get that high turd shine?[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 02-13-2005, 05:19 PM
rdking
Tourer

I remember when I was in junior high school I dreamed of having a Sportster just like my cousin's. They just looked and sounded soooooo cool. My cousin was a pro flat track racer, a Harley rider and my hero. He was close friends with and rode with Dave DeSpain (sp.?) of Speedchannel fame. Anyway, as muscle cars and quick Japanese bikes came into the picture I began to "worship" the speed gods and ended up with several crotch rockets. But as youth and the quest for speed and power waned, the desire for that ultra-cool look and sound came a callin' along with that youthful memory of my cousin's "Sporty". So, what goes around comes around. Ironic that a Harley would be the last bike in my life rather than the first...as I first dreamed.[8D]

Old 02-13-2005, 06:04 PM
CobraKid
Road Captain

I rode a Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 for the last two years and loved every minute of it after being idle for about 25 years. Rode with the Harley guys all the time and never got blasted for having a rice burner. BUT I was never satisfied!!!! Got my 05 Heritage last October and I can truthfully tell you that there is no comparison between the two, the Harley is by far the superior machine in my life.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1243/87D649217B1D49E49B426BE5F9D5BEBD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2005, 07:05 PM
DLeppik
Advanced

Bikes

Kawasaki MK III 500 (whew I survived)
Triumph Trident 750
750 Honda
1975 Goldwing
1978 Goldwing
1981 Goldwing
1985 Goldwing
1990 Goldwing
1998 Valkyrie Tourer
1999 Goldwing
2000 Valkyrie Interstate
2003 Ultra Classic

Harley was not ready for me in the 80's and early 90's as I road about 20,000 and in some years 30,000 miles per year.

I was getting bored and just like the looks of the Harley and the sound. Harley got to the point where I could trust it mechanically and wa la.... Aint no looking back now with 35,000 miles on the Ultra. Hey the Goldwing is a great smooth machine and you can put a zillion trouble free miles on them but the sound of he Harley kept calling. Six into six pipes on a Valkyire does sound pretty cool too but not quite right.

Doug

Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 AM
Pirate
Road Master

Went to the Great American Cycle show at the North Atlanta Trade Center today... Why Harley? Funny how many jap bikes were there that look an aweful lot like a harley. So for me, I want the real deal!

Old 02-14-2005, 07:45 AM
investorsc
Road Master

My answer is US...... My wife and I have enjoyed many hobbies, with cycling at the top. There are few cohesive groups and none like Harley Owners. We had a BMW at one point- wow- that was not the group for me- they are eclectic. Harley is a group where it doesn't matter who you are or what Harley you ride, you are all just equal- no labels and no bull! I remember all too many years visiting a biker bar in WI while I had a crewcut in the Navy. This HUGE dude came in the rest room, and I was a little intimidated being a smooth faced. short hair guy in a biker bar (One of my Chiefs was having a party). The guy proceeded to THANK ME for helping protect our country...I have never forgotten that!

If you really want to appreciate your bike- do the factory tour nearest you. Damn cool time spent!

[sm=rant.gif]

Rant Over,
BRUCE

Quick Reply: Why Harley?