General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbrushing questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:11 PM
David The Hutt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrushing questions

So I am curious. I was thinking of having some airbrushing done to the bike and have heard conflicting opinions about

1. do you have to clear coat over it?
2. Do you need to take the tank/fenders off and do a complete paint job or can it be done "on the fly" and still last and look good?
3. Airbrushing over the HD logo (the 08's are just a sticker that have been clear coated over) on the tank... does it come out well?

(I have stock vivid black paint on there now)

Also. Whats a "reasonable price for airbrush work? (i know that is very subjective and detail dependant)

Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Ridetard
Banned

1. yes
2. Take it off.
3. dunno. prep the piece first

Old 03-13-2009, 08:23 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had mine custom painted and got it back last night and I can tell you yes, you need to take off your tank and fenders, a good artist will put a clear coat over the artwork to protect it and just my own personal opinion if you're having custom work done I would have the artist that you hire do a new custom lettering of the Harley Davidson name.

Just my .02

Old 03-13-2009, 09:56 PM
09fatty4me
Intermediate

Here's my experience. I've painted a few bikes, goalie masks and stuff.

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
So I am curious. I was thinking of having some airbrushing done to the bike and have heard conflicting opinions about

Absolutely. Some shops/artists are better than others. If you get a nice paint job, don't skimp on the clear or the art won't look anywhere near as good.

2. Do you need to take the tank/fenders off and do a complete paint job or can it be done "on the fly" and still last and look good?
You need to take everything off. The painter will need to scuff or sand the entire piece for the artwork and the new clearcoat to properly adhere.

3. Airbrushing over the HD logo (the 08's are just a sticker that have been clear coated over) on the tank... does it come out well?
Any good painter will sand the tank down to remove the decal. I would never paint over a decal.

Also. Whats a "reasonable price for airbrush work? (i know that is very subjective and detail dependant)
A reasonable price will really depend on the artwork you want. More detail means more time and more money. Special paint effects usually add more. Also, with the clearcoat, there is usually a minimum of 3 coats. Each coat is wetsanded between coats to help bury any possible high spots in the paint and give you that glass look.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David The Hutt
...Also. Whats a "reasonable price for airbrush work? (i know that is very subjective and detail dependant)
I paid $800 for a pinup portrait of my wife on both sides of the tank. It will depend on the work but shop it around to the 3 best artists you find in your area. Look at their work on their websites first though.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:50 AM
BillyFB
Cruiser

I'm in the process of having a grim reaper painted in the rear half of my front fender.
I was priced $800.00 total.
500 for artwork
250 for reclear coat.
50 for supplies.
I'm hoping to get quite a little deatail but I'm not that far into it where they have showed my any pics yet. He said no painting until all ideas are in and everyone is on the same page as to what it will look like.
I've haven't took pics of my bike and added them here cause I was waiting until this was done. Hopeing for March -April

Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 AM
sandman2004
Cruiser

I had mine done I took the tins off and two coats of clear. NO HD bar and shield or any other HD advertising but it's your scoot and your choice

Last edited by sandman2004; 03-14-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the absolute correct answer to your questions:

Originally Posted by David The Hutt View Post

Absolutely. Some shops/artists are better than others. If you get a nice paint job, don't skimp on the clear or the art won't look anywhere near as good.

You need to take everything off. The painter will need to scuff or sand the entire piece for the artwork and the new clearcoat to properly adhere.

Any good painter will sand the tank down to remove the decal. I would never paint over a decal.

A reasonable price will really depend on the artwork you want. More detail means more time and more money. Special paint effects usually add more. Also, with the clearcoat, there is usually a minimum of 3 coats. Each coat is wetsanded between coats to help bury any possible high spots in the paint and give you that glass look.