General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Quality control.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006 | 10:05 PM
NEW2HD
|
Cruiser
Default HD Quality control.....

When I started looking for a Sporty a couple of weeks ago, I called the local HD dealer and was talking with the salesman about the sporties. Took my name and phone number and said I will call you when I get some used ones. A week later I get this mysterious call from some unknown number on my cell. It was a nice lady saying that she was part of the dealerships something or other and that she was calling to make sure I was being taken care of, what model I was after, how did the sales person......yadda..... I call back on the following Saturday to talk to the sales guy again. Got some prices on stuff this and that...Two days ago....same call from my beloved "unknown" lady.....Says that she was aware that I called the dealership that past Saturday, and was I thinking any more about buying my Sporty. I told her that I decided to buy elsewhere. She was a little let down and asked why I didnt buy from them... I told her because a dealership is never going to sell me a 2003 Anniversary 1200 Custom with 2000 miles for 5700 dollars, and that I wanted to buy from a dealer, but didnt have the cash. But I told her that I would have the dealer service the bike for me as well as install the new pipes if I got them, and the price was right.

Do the dealers have Corporate Harley breathing down their neck? Or is this dealer particularly naughty and is on probation?

Old 04-27-2006 | 02:00 AM
SteelJ
Novice
Default RE: HD Quality control.....

I to have experienced a very high degree of dealer follow-up. I don't see it as a negative rather a sign that HD and their dealers understand that folks will tell a couple friends about a good experience but will tell everyone they meet about a bad experience. Harley is focused on "selling the lifestyle" and that is done by word of mouth. Lots of phone call surveys and dealer follow-ups are lots cheaper and more effective than advertising! We are in the middle of a bike boom and it won't last forever so HD has to make all the sales they can before the baby boomers die and gas gets rationed.

Old 04-27-2006 | 02:12 AM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

I would have to say my dealer is slacking something awfull, I have only heard from them once since I bought the bike.. Sort of suprising. Puchased on 12/31/05... No follow up calls from corporate or anyone else.

Old 04-27-2006 | 03:15 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealership is great with the follow ups. They even sent my wife a B- day card the other day. I expect I'll get one soon. The people at my dealer are great with me.

Old 04-27-2006 | 05:51 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

Never a call...ever. Not even when my bike arrived. I called them to check the status and they said "it just came in and we were about to call you". I think they were hoping someone offered more for my bob than what I was paying so they could screw me. SHould of known from the start.

Old 04-27-2006 | 07:27 AM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member

All I can say is that my dealer (Eric Wood Motorcycle in Christchurch, New Zealand) has given excellent service, both in the sales and service areas. I would view the follow up calls as positive, much better to receive calls than none at all.

Old 04-27-2006 | 09:55 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

ORIGINAL: Original Junior

Never a call...ever. Not even when my bike arrived. I called them to check the status and they said "it just came in and we were about to call you". I think they were hoping someone offered more for my bob than what I was paying so they could screw me. SHould of known from the start.
Same here. Its a dealership to dealership thing.

Old 04-27-2006 | 12:07 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I was recently sent a survey from an independent polling company that HD has hired to check on customer satisfaction.

I am thinking that HD is losing market share, their bike sales are down and they are starting to realize that a bunch of their dealers are treating people like $hit. I know that since these surveys have been circulating my dealership has been a lot more concerned about my satisfaction.

Regards,

Bill

Old 04-27-2006 | 07:04 PM
campdreamer47
Tourer

Bought my bike in 2004 rode out the door was forgotten before I got 50 miles down the road. Did go back for the first service....the owner was not even interested in talking to me. The machanic was great and did most of the explaining to me. Phoned to make an appoinment to have my fluids all changed after winter storage the second time. Was told to bring it in if I wanted too but they did not see the need. Decided to take it in because I wanted the old oil out of there after winter storage....drove the 6hrs to tthe dealer. Owner don't even notice me or greet me. Some new guy behind the counter finally asked me if he could help. Told me he would get the machanic to see if it was necessary to change my oil[:@] My wife was ready to punch someone and she made up her mind right then and there she was not going back to that dealer anymore. They never did change my oil...I took it elsewhere. Like I said, I don't feel that they care if I ever come back or not. I have also called them for advice...they treated me like I was stupid to ask such a guestion. I got the survey in the mail and made my point loud and clear about that dealer....if it does anygood or not who knows but I feel better. Didn't mean to[sm=rant.gif] there that's better.

Old 04-27-2006 | 08:28 PM
NEW2HD
|
Cruiser

Well this particular HD dealer has had complaints before, even from his own workers. I went in there two years ago when looking for a bike. They had a '91 Sportster 883 for $5500. I was a little short, so I passed. Asked the sales guy if he could do better, his reply was, the guy upstairs is a little bit of a hard ***. 2 weeks later I find a running 92 Sportster in the trader for next to nothing, needed freshening up......call the same dealer, asked if they could do it for me....the mechanic said he'd ask the owner.....few minutes go by and the guy says, the owner doesnt want to mess with anything that old, it's a waste of time. This from the same guy who has a 91 on his showroom floor. So needless to say, since there wasnt another local Harley Dealer, I bought a HONDA.

When I think about this, I really dont want to take my Sporty their to have it serviced or anything else. If the guys that much of an ***, I could take my bike there and because I didnt buy from them, they could tell me "dude you need an entire top end rebuild". Hmmm.......I didnt realize Harley dealers could get such out of hand. Makes me want to take it to a local indy mechanic, or ironhorse dealer/American biker and have them do the work....might be cheaper. I dont think much could be wrong with my sporty anyway....just give it a service and a pipe and jet kit and forget it.

Quick Reply: HD Quality control.....