General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EC Ultra and 6X10 Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toyrider
Probably because its 23 degrees outside in this area...my guess..to darn cold to ride.
But, it's an Ultra? Don't those things come standard with a weather proof bubble?

(Can you sense the jealousy in my post?)

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Put a 4x4 or other suitable wood directly under the ball hitch, to level the trailer at the same height as your hitch on your vehicle, with a scale underneath. That will give you a fairly accurate tongue weight. Make sure that does not exceed the tongue weight of your hitch, but, as mentioned above, it does need to have weight forward or your trailer will sway.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
TJB50
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryFXST
But, it's an Ultra? Don't those things come standard with a weather proof bubble?

(Can you sense the jealousy in my post?)
I know, I know. My health isn't what I would like it to be and if I could figure out how to get 2 dogs a wife and a bunch of the wife's stuff in the bike I would do it.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM
TerryFXST
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TJB50
I know, I know. My health isn't what I would like it to be and if I could figure out how to get 2 dogs a wife and a bunch of the wife's stuff in the bike I would do it.
It's a beautiful bike, man. My wife drools over them everytime we get near one and I really appreciate the art of it. You ride it when you can and trailer it when you have to. It's all good!

Old 03-12-2009, 09:48 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you don't have sufficient tongue weight the trailer will begin to sway. It could start, and then increase, and finally roll the trailer. Plan on that if it's tail heavy.

If I could straddle the tongue, and manage to lift it, but it was pretty darned heavy, I'd be happy.

Assuming you have a good factory built trailer, your bike isn't heavy enough to overload the tongue. Some of the weight of that bike (and the trailer) has to be behind the wheels/axle, counter balancing some of the weight.

I'm betting you're good to go.

$.02

Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

On a single axle you need 60% of the weight in front of the axle. Also, 10% of the total weight on the tongue at the ball hitch.

On your bike the center of mass is about half way between the axle as an estimate. Center that in the trailer over the axle then move about two foot forward. That should be good.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:40 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tie down to pull forward and backwards. Six straps forward and two back per bike but I am over cautious when I have to trailer. I do not trust just my wheel chock to stop the bike from going forward in a panic stop. JMO

Old 03-13-2009, 05:53 AM
slack20
Tourer

where is a website that i can look at some sway bars i have 7-14 trailer single axle just hauled 2 bikes to daytona and this baby swayed all over the place
thanks jeff in ohio

Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 AM
tugdrivinj
Cruiser

Originally Posted by slack20
where is a website that i can look at some sway bars i have 7-14 trailer single axle just hauled 2 bikes to daytona and this baby swayed all over the place
thanks jeff in ohio
check your air press and bike placement. i've towed 2 bikes from fla. to ny. to or.
over mountains and in good and bad weather with no sway problems and i'm only towing with a jeep liberty

Old 03-13-2009, 06:32 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My anti sway bar was bought at a RV dealer. I had to get the mounts for it but they had that also. It is just a disc pad with a lever screw adjustment for firmness that puts friction to a sliding metal bar through a bracket. I always use it when towing the bikes in case of bad side wind or me evading something suddenly. It reduces the whip effect.

Quick Reply: EC Ultra and 6X10 Trailer