General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
Because that lead and acid don't come from the same place your drinking water does. When you throw a battery in the land fill, which isn't too far from your house, that lead and acid makes its way back into your drinking water.

But hey if your of that opinion, why dont you just dump your motor oil in your local lake or the ocean, I mean it came from the ground, it must be ok just to pour it right back on top huh?

Considering the processes that drinking water goes thru, yep. I agree that people need to be careful about pollution and such. But too many tree huggers are making big deals about little things. I wonder how this world survived the past 6 or 7 thousand years?

Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Look up East Penn Deka as they make the HD stock battery and you will save yourself $35 getting the Deka. and it will fit right into your battery box. Esat Penn makes all the HD batteries. I just got one last week for $79.

The walmart & intersate batteries are both made by Yuasa and you might have a difficult time with the cheap terminals on the Yuasa brands.

For a tender go on Amazon.com and find the Deltran MC battery tender. It is the HD one without the HD sticker and sells for $29 verus $50. It has the pigtail

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 03-12-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

East Penn does make the HD batteries but that doesn't mean they are the same internally. I would still make them replace my battery if my bike was that new.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Yonaton
Not Smart Enough To Be A Member of HDF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Why do people spaz out so much about putting something into the ground that came out of the ground to begin with?
Because none of the 'battery' is the same as what was taken from the environment. Lots of changes made and done to ores and such to make them usable. Those same changes (chemical as much as physical) can wreak havoc when not disposed of correctly.

When the government (local, state, federal, take your pick) has to do water checks all the time, it's *because* not enough people "spaz out" about the idiots who don't dispose of crap correctly. When you have to use a damned water purifier to make sure you can actually drink the water coming from your tap, that's *exactly* the reason people should "spaz out".

Old 03-22-2009, 12:53 PM
whiskeyrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 149 Posts

I to am looking for a new battery. My 03 heritage has the original battery, no battery tender. When I asked my dealer he said that harley batteries were sealed, but I asked about gel cell and agm he said that they were not either. A few here have posted that they were, I have no problem with getting a hd battery just would like to what I am getting.WR.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:01 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HD batter issue.
Bike was purchased AUG 2007. A few weeks ago I went to start the bike after riding 2 days prior, and wouldnt start. Put it on battery tender (HD) and after all day went green, started. Left it on tender for another day.

Week later, rode on Sunday all day was fine. Then on tender till Thurs, go to start aroun 10 a.m., starts up, then shut if off while some came over to talk to me, and boom, wouldnt start again. Just fast clicking. Checked terminals, fine. Tender again all day. Went green, around 6 p.m. starts and drive to bike shop for bike night. Stop to get gas, turn off. Go to start, and it starts, just not fast like it use to. Bike shop checks it out, the bike seems fine, is charging while on, but slow a little starting. After bike night, go to a few places, start, stop, little slow starting but works. SAT ride about 200 miles, stopped a few times, and slow starting, so now im getting worried.

Today, doesnt start after 2 days on charger that is green. Checked connections. take meter. Battery is at 12.3/4 volts. Should be around 12.5 and higher but still ok. Kept meter on it, hit the starter, drops to 4 volts. Bad sign, battery not handling the load.

Take battery out, bring the battery shop (industrial) my brother works at, do a load test there and battery is discharged. Voltage is there, but put any load on it, and it drops voltage. Usually bad battery, or the tender is not really charging it. Gonna leave overnight to see if it comes back, but has me worried for peace of mind, just gonna get new battery for now while that test is ran.

less than two year old bike (doesnt mean battery was on tender or when it was charged up initially), but still, that is ridiculous. Was on tender for both winter months.

DEKA makes the HD battery, my brothers boss has been in the business a long time, been to the DEKA shop and watched them put the casing on the actually DEKA battery. They are very strict with the battery casings as I would assume, but company states there is a strict policy about employees trying to get just the casing and the regular battery.

Part number for HD compatible battery is: ETX30L-BS (DEKA)and YTX20L-BS

Old 06-08-2009, 12:13 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

My bike is a 2000 Fatboy and I didn't have to replace the Harley battery until 2007. Probably could have lasted another year, but I decided not to push it.

Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard anywhere from a year to 10 years, its just odd. Guess I got a bad one, but we will see by the end of the day or tomorrow morning. If it is the battery, then i will bitch to HD with my 7 year warranty that doesnt cover battery under 2 years.

If the battery comes back, then its the HD battery tender that is not bringing it back up and will have my brothers company test it and adjust it.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,255 Likes on 4,783 Posts

My 05 still has the original and sits for months at a time. Have a tender hooked up to it when I'm gone and haven't had a problem yet. When I get home and while I'm home it starts right up every time........Now that I've said that it will probably puke next time I get by the house.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,255 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Considering the processes that drinking water goes thru, yep. I agree that people need to be careful about pollution and such. But too many tree huggers are making big deals about little things. I wonder how this world survived the past 6 or 7 thousand years?
Better watch out.....They'll be sendin Algore out ta git ya!

Quick Reply: Best battery?