General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:58 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My last Odyssey lasted over 8 years. That's waht I'll use when my HD craps out.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc925lmj.htm

Old 03-11-2009, 10:03 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That wally battery only had 240 cca....also HD will replace your battery..your covered.when I first got my bike mine went dead 6mo into ownership...check it out,have them pay for it..they will.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just go to a local auto parts store. I got a sealed motorcycle battery for $60. As long as you don't have a ton of electronics like on a RG or EG you don't need an expensive battery.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mastery
The Harley ones are fine. Just get a battery tender. My '08 had a dead battery as well a few weeks ago. Everybody told me to get a tender. It extends the life of the battery for years, and uses very little electricity.

Make sure the ground strap on the frame is very tight so it gits a good ground.
I too like the HD sealed battery.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AR-15 DEUCE
That wally battery only had 240 cca....also HD will replace your battery..your covered.when I first got my bike mine went dead 6mo into ownership...check it out,have them pay for it..they will.
even after we played punt-a-mole around the shop? lol. We'll have to see.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM
guzzishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Battery debate

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
I'm looking to replace the dead battery in my superglide - what's the best brand/type out there to get in terms of longevity? I don't mind paying a premium for one that's decent.
Reading the other posts, it's possible you got a lemon. The battery in my wife's 1990 Sportster 883 failed after only two years. I've heard others who got 6 - 7 years out of a Harley battery.

When mine is ready to be replaced, I'll go with the Odyssey extreme AGM (advanced glass mat) battery, which is the same technology as the Harley battery. You can get one with a metal jacket that fits your Superglide. They are vibration-resistant and I've had good luck with the one in my BMW R1150R. Here's the website if you're interested --> http://www.odysseybatteries.com/file...S-001_0108.pdf

UPDATE (April '14): The Odyssey battery failed after less than two years! I replaced it with the H-D stock battery and will not buy another Odyssey battery.

Last edited by guzzishop; 04-16-2014 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Update
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a brand new HD battery that was bad - about drove me nuts. It had a loose terminal and would short (or lose contact) internally "sometimes." I'd be riding down the road and the whole bike would just quit. Nothing. I'd mess around a bit and it would light right back up.

Two flatbed rollback rides later I figured it out. At first I didn't know if it was the ignition switch, or a wiring problem, or... Frustrating.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly always figured that batteries are consumables - they're used up and replaced, not something you have a warranty on, except for the thing just falling apart in your hands. I've always just swapped in a new one when they die and never thought about it.

I think I may look into the odyssey, if I can find one near. otherwise, I'll go for a cheapo.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:45 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slowenwobbly
Odyssey battery. Best You can get.

Have a life span of 6 to 8 years!

Check 'em out at odysseybatteries.com

Someone had posted earlier that they don't make an Optima battery for a bike and that is correct. However, the do have the Odyssey Military grade dry cell and for bikes, this is the Optima. Who needs a tender when you have an Odyssey. Let it go dead, do it as often as you like and when you want to ride charge it the night before cause you ain't killing that battery. I've got 2 of them now and love them. My neighbor has a Gold Wing with enough lights to make it look like ET and he tows a trailer with lights too. He had put an original replacement in and that lasted a year before he went to a gel which lasted about 2 years before it went south. He now has the Odyssey dry cell and won't go back.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Why do people spaz out so much about putting something into the ground that came out of the ground to begin with?
Because that lead and acid don't come from the same place your drinking water does. When you throw a battery in the land fill, which isn't too far from your house, that lead and acid makes its way back into your drinking water.

But hey if your of that opinion, why dont you just dump your motor oil in your local lake or the ocean, I mean it came from the ground, it must be ok just to pour it right back on top huh?

Quick Reply: Best battery?