General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I just paranoid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009 | 03:03 PM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member

I like solo riding now days,no one wanting to do this or that,there was a time when I rode in big groups on benifet runs and Zoo runs,MDA runs but as more less exsperiaced riders started to ride in these groups and accedents started adding up I have decided solo was the way ta go,I stil go to the big runs but only to donate my 20-25.00.I will talk with the guys and let them ride off then do my own thing then go to the finishing point/area and mingle....The only thing I do in a group ride are PGR missions now...

To each there own.....

Old 03-11-2009 | 03:06 PM
robbieaz62
Cruiser

I got tired of being a loner and joined a HOG chapter. Since it's usually the same core group that shows up for the rides it's pretty safe. I would imagine it's the same for most chapters. Show up for one of your local chapter's rides one time just to see if you like group riding. You can ride without being a member, just sign in as a guest and sign a waiver. You can always leave the group any time if you want to.

Old 03-11-2009 | 03:30 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior

Nope not paranoid.

I am 42. have also riden since my first mini-bike, 30 odd years ago. I have never riden with a group, attended a rally or run. The most I have ridden with is 1 other biker.
I ride for me, not to be a part of anything.

Maybe its selfish, but I do not enjoy large gatheres or groups.

Old 03-11-2009 | 03:59 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I've only done one toy run with about 200 bikes. I did the same thing as gump and let everybody get going especially this one lady who said "this is my first time on the road", do you want me to go ahead and pull out. Oh hell yes! I ride with one or two friends sometimes, but mostly solo.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:08 PM
Scared2ride
|
Stage II

Wow, the response was more than I could have hoped for. Thanks!

It does give me the answer to my questions though. I guess I am not alone in that feeling of being safer, alone, where I can scan my landing spots and search for the best way out in an emergency. It's bad enough having to constantly second guess mom in the minivan with 10 kids screaming over her shoulder AND worry about which rider in the group is gonna start bouncing off the other riders.

I think a lot of it goes back to a ride I was at the end of - a couple years ago. My gal and I (she's been back there many years), were meeting some friends at a benefit. We arrived early to beat the crowd and get a good table.

Half hour later, the other riders started to roll in and there was some heated talk about a couple bikes that went down on the way (no one seriously injured). The people who arrived were bad mouthing others in the ride for not following the rules and then a bit later, it escallated into a yelling match because others where saying the rules WERE followed but some of the riders didn't understand the rules.
I immediately felt sorry for whoever was the cause of this accident, regardless if they followed the rules or not. It probably wouldn't have happened if the two riders that went down were solo.

I think it was then that I decided, rules? Arguments? Fights? No thanks.

Typically, we see all our friends, we party with them at the various functions... the only difference is, we ride up alone and meet them there. Then cut out early or after them to solo home. Sometimes leaving a half hour before or after to avoid the cluster**** of the ride.

You know, I hate being rude when asked to tag along, so I just say, "not sure when she will be ready, we'll catch up" (blame it on her)

However, I see the same response from all of you. It's all about your/my own personal safety, so I don't feel paranoid at all. I can see it's a normal fear of riding with others.

Thanks for all the replies!

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:12 PM
abate1
Cruiser

3-4 good friends, try to get a new one every few years (rotate war stories)LOL. Large groups are a pain just to many to deal with.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:15 PM
frankjake
Road Master

Me and a long time buddy ride together more than I do solo. We both also ride with other small groups.

We have a group, mostly members of our local HOG chapter that ride together on average of once every month. There are 9 of us with 7 bikes and I think there are a few more who want to join our little group. (total hog membership is about 100 people).

The 9 of us rode over 3,000 together last year and no problems at all. We usually elect a road captain but that doesn't mean he/she is the boss, just the front bike. And we do follow that person but if anyone has a suggestion, we all take it into consideration. I guess we are all lucky that we get along so well AND we do other things outside of riding such as getting together for BBQ's.

If you are not sure about riding in a group, first off, find a group you might want to ride with. TELL THEM up front that you are new to group riding. If they are decent people, they will accomodate you. You might want to hang out toward the back of the other riders.

On your first stop, let the other riders know how you feel. Are they going too fast or slow for your taste? Is anone "crowding" you? Communication is the best policy, that way everyone understands everyone else.

After the ride, if they ask you to go on another, then you did good. If they don't ask you, you might want to find another group. he he he

seriously, group riding is different but not in a bad way. It's a little give and take on everyone's part. If you are NOT willing to do that, then I suggest continue to ride solo.

Have fun.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:18 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

I like riding with one or two others, won't do more than 5 or 6. I hate being part of a large group or pack. If it's a charity ride I will ride ahead of the pack or lag behind.
Went on a ride last year and my wife and I pulled out and were running 'bout 62 MPH (7 over). A pack (about 30) came up on us quick and tail gated us for a few miles. We slowed down and waved them past. Almost as soon as the last bike got around us they slowed down to 53 MPH. We slowed down to put some space between us and the pack then rode at their pace (about 3 seconds behind the last bike). That pack looked like an accordian. Slowing to 45 or less on curves and hills they'd get bunched up (saw a few close calls). Then as they sped up the group would spread out. After a few miles I was allowing them a good 6 seconds space.
At the first stop one of them scolded me because I wasn't riding tight to the formation of the group. In his words we had started out leading too fast then were lagging too far behind. He looked stunned when I told him that we were not part of his group and not interested in haveing them as part of our group.
I think everyone agrees that the more you ride in groups the more comfortable you get with it. Also helps if most of the people in the group have ridden together.
A bunch of strangers riding pack style doesn't work especially when several newbies are involved.
I appreciate the brotherhood mentality but whenever I have a stranger latch on behind me I will pull over and wave them past.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:20 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I have been ran over by friends, twice. It ain't fun. Both times the guy didn't see the brake light and plowed me over. I've still got scars up my back from his tire, and that was 35 years ago. Be safe, and know who you are riding with.

Old 03-11-2009 | 04:22 PM
slick10
Road Master

Unless it's PGR missions, it's me and the ole lady. We both got tired of the whining and bitching that group rides can be. We trust each other and know what each other's moves are. Call it old age too, we are both 58!

Quick Reply: Am I just paranoid?