General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weather is great and I'm envious.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
TruckinTim05
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weather is great and can't ride with broken neck

I'm not sure I'll be able to ride this year, and I see a lot of bikes out in this beautiful weather, making me jealous. I bought my first bike (883C) last summer, and put 8,000 miles on it before I was in a crash on Christmas eve. I didn't wreck the Harley, I rolled my pick up. I didn't have on a seat belt and got ejected, breaking my neck on the way out. I laid in the grass on the side of the road unable to move. Got an ambulance ride to Parkland hospital where I would stay for the next month.

I had a spinal cord injury at C5, and no doc. would tell me that I would even walk again. They bolted a halo into my head to keep my neck immobile. I guess someone was looking after me because I started to move my toes and regain some feeling. I'm incredibly lucky to not be dead, but even more that I started walking again after 2 weeks of laying in bed. The doctors and physical therapists at that hospital were amazing. People don't normally "recover" from spinal cord injuries, but I'm getting much better. I don't need any extra support from walkers or anything now, and if you didn't know you almost couldn't tell from my gait that there was anything wrong with me. My balance is still a little F'd up, and my strength isn't great, but I improve everyday.

While in the hospital I didn't have any strength or dexterity in my hands at all. I registered less that 1lb grip, and couldn't crush a styrofoam cup, or rip paper in two if I tried. When I got home I tried to squeeze the clutch on the bike with no result. Now I can pull it like its nothing again. I can swing my leg over the seat and even get the bike upright off the jiffy stand. However I still think it will be a long while before I will ever be comfortable enough to get it on the road.

Tomorrow I get the Halo taken off me, thank God! You wanna talk about uncomfortable chit! I will also be able to start going to the gym again. I spend a lot of time on this forum reading Yall's stories, and viewing your bikes and mods. Totally jealous. Doc's said it would be at least a year before I could go back to work as a mechanic (chevrolet dealer), so I don't have the money to drop on mods while I'm not doing anything. I just look at my sporty there in the garage not moving. I start her up every now and then to keep things lubed up, and rev the motor like a child.

Thanks for all the stories. You make me have a goal to reach for, instead of feeling sorry for myself and not doing anything.

Last edited by TruckinTim05; 03-10-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 PM
madmikee
Tourer

I can relate. Broke the heel bones in both feet on August 20th when the ladder fell and I went straight down 12 feet.
37 days in the hospital and then 3 months with both legs in casts.
I'm in south Texas and have the weather to ride, but still don't have enought strength in the legs/feet to do more than 50 miles.
They say time heals all wounds.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to hear about your injuries, but glad you're on the mend. Good luck with your recovery.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:56 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

YOUZA, Tim. Talk about a 'full plate'. GLAD to hear you are recupeing successfully.
My BIL suffered almost the very same accident, same results. That was in the late 70's. He went on to continue farming and milking cows, til that was no longer profitable. Then he went back to school. Now he is one of South Dakotas premier (sp) taxidermists.
So, hang in there. Sounds like you are ON TOP of the PT drills, and sneaking in a few trips to the grudge. Good on ya, Tim.
Psst, be sure to let us know, when you 'turn the key' to listen.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow is all i can say. What an incredible story and I"m so happy to hear you've beaten the odds. Keep it up and hope you can ride soon enough. Stay here and we'll keep you company in the mean time!

Old 03-11-2009, 03:55 AM
aces_and_eights
Advanced

Hey Tim...sorry you're missin' out out on the riding time, but it sounds like you're making some great progress. Be patient...do your work...and I'm sure you'll be back. When it gets tough...try to remember...we're all rootin' for ya! Best of luck!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:27 AM
TruckinTim05
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Arizona
Wow is all i can say. What an incredible story and I"m so happy to hear you've beaten the odds. Keep it up and hope you can ride soon enough. Stay here and we'll keep you company in the mean time!
I'm gonna stay positive that I'll be in the saddle in no time. Meanwhile I'll read about the rides y'all take and live vicariously through that. I'm 26 and have have not even made it through a full riding season yet, but I miss being out badly. I put 8,000mi. on the bike in the few months I did get to ride.