General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me settle an argument about cold weather riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FUJILICIOUS
Up here, it's the road conditions that stop a rider from gettin out (plus the 20ft of snow in front of the garage). If the roads were free of snow and ice ruts, I'm sure there would be a few hardcore riders out. Looking out my window now, I'm estimating sometime at the end of April before my 1st ride of the season. For those of you that get to ride year round, good on ya!!
That is kind of what I was alluding to when I talked about riding more in cold weather here than up north. I am from Iowa and also lived in Illinois. When it would get cold, here would come the snow and ice, the bike would get winterized and put away. If we did have nicer days during the winter, the roads were still all full of salt and crap. Down here, the bike is never put away, there are rides and activities all the time, so if it is in the 20's or 30's, you saddle up and ride. Not bragging, just stating fact.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 AM
frankiefire702
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would rather ride slower and take the side roads.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM
H20DOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluzmn59
That is kind of what I was alluding to when I talked about riding more in cold weather here than up north. I am from Iowa and also lived in Illinois. When it would get cold, here would come the snow and ice, the bike would get winterized and put away. If we did have nicer days during the winter, the roads were still all full of salt and crap. Down here, the bike is never put away, there are rides and activities all the time, so if it is in the 20's or 30's, you saddle up and ride. Not bragging, just stating fact.

This is what I am talking about. Most of us in the Northern sections would not mind (well too much) riding in the cold. It is the dangerous riding conditions, Ice, sand, Salt. The weather is supposed to be 40+ here this weekend not too bad a temperature for riding, but I would doubt that there will be any body riding because we just had a snow storm and the roads are hazardous.

Also, no one even mentioned that your reactions are much slower if you are shivering from the cold. Therefore if you are going to ride, keep your self warm, you need your wits about you.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:39 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's one thing to ride in the cold and then riding on ice is stupid. And salt can be washed off and a little snow riding is fun till it turns icy outside.