General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suicide/Jockie shift

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 AM
toddzilla
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Suicide/Jockie shift

BS away pococj... i was looking at the old brake lever crossover... lot's of options!!! in an earlier post of yours i read about a left hand throttle set up that keeps the hand shifter on the right... that e'd screw with thier heads!!! could not find the product on the links given .. left hand manual advance grip setup... can you expand? never seen a rocker clutch.. sounds kinda like double clutching a truck.... press down... shift... press down again.

thanks for the info.

tr

Old 04-28-2006, 06:30 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

I like to ride hard through the twisties. I've ground most of my right rear floorboard off. Many times I am shifting up or down while taking on the curves and the last thing I want to be doing is pulling my hand off the bars to make that shift while leaned over and practicing my countersteering.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:47 AM
gary99z28
Intermediate

I thought about it also. I would like to try one out before I change mine over but that is NOT going to happen.I would like the clutch that stays disengaged when foot is let off. I think they call it a mousetrap. It would deffinitly add fun to riding.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: gary99z28

I thought about it also. I would like to try one out before I change mine over but that is NOT going to happen.I would like the clutch that stays disengaged when foot is let off. I think they call it a mousetrap. It would deffinitly add fun to riding.
A mousetrap is a device that mounts on the left frame downtube and creates a mechanical advantage through the use of a lever to reduce the effort needed to use the hand clutch. The clutch cable goes from the lever to the mousetrap, and a rod goes from the mousetrap to the clutch arm.

The clutch pedal that stays where you put it is called a rocker clutch. It has a friction disc and a diaphragm-type spring to tension it. A rocker clutch was the stock type of foot clutch. The original suicide clutch happened when the friction disc and/or spring broke so that the clutch pedal acted like the one in a car.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:33 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SeaHag

I like to ride hard through the twisties. I've ground most of my right rear floorboard off. Many times I am shifting up or down while taking on the curves and the last thing I want to be doing is pulling my hand off the bars to make that shift while leaned over and practicing my countersteering.
Hag, you need to go watch a classic road race with the ol' WLDD and other 45 Flatties and their foot clutches and tank slappin' hand shifts boogieing around a road course. Ya only need one hand to countersteer!

Old 04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

If'n you look close there's a rocker clutch on my ol' 78 Shovel.

The left hand stuff I was talking about can be had from Exile, if'n you want a modern version. They use it as a clutch twist grip. Or you can get an original type from V-Twin as a repop. It's available through J&P's classic catalog. It was originally used as the spark advance in the days before automatic advances. There are about 3 pieces to the whole thing, and it's made for use with a solid wire, like the choke wire on an old lawn mower.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:38 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a lousy pic of the first foot clutch & hand shift I set up on my Sloptail. The clutch is a rocker. It was from V-Twin, and was a piece of crap.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KBES BAGGER

How many guy's here ride one? I am thinking of converting the King over. I have the tool's and knowledge to make all of the part's myself so finding a kit is not an issue. Is there any here that ride one as a daily commuter? How do you like it? Thank's for your input.

KB
Getting back to the original post! If you decide to make one up, make sure you get the leverage set correctly. You want the foot lever about 6 to 7 inches in length, and the cable lever about 1-1/2 inches in length.

Old 04-29-2006, 02:03 AM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

Getting back to the original post!
Thank you, However your pic's have helped with the styling.

ORIGINAL: pococj
Getting back to the original post! If you decide to make one up, make sure you get the leverage set correctly. You want the foot lever about 6 to 7 inches in length, and the cable lever about 1-1/2 inches in length.

As far as the lever's go that is sort of what I had in mind. I have my own litle style thought up for a rocker type clutch. Not quite a rocker but it will stay down when I want it to. I think I am gonna make up my shift lever and put it on with my foot shift, just to get used to shifting with my had for a couple of day's. For those wondering, I will shift clutchless, once I get rolling it is no big thing.

The only concern that I still have is that I ride more than one bike on a regular basis, I can not convert the other ride to suicide though because it is my wife's.( I still ride it though) I am wondering how screwed up I will be when I get on her bike, the again when I get back on my bike?

KB

Old 04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Usually the worst that happens when swapping back and forth is you downshift the foot shift bike while thinking you are pushing in on the clutch.