General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing air in tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Fergusonic
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Changing air in tires

I use a high concentration of Carbon Dioxide in my tires....my girlfriend blows them......................up.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:38 AM
geno3j
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know how much air from the US cost here in Japan. Ain't no rice rocket air in my tires. I use a neat tool we made out of Burger King straw and KFC spoon, we take turns blowing into the straw and it slowly fills the air int he tire but runs much better

Old 04-26-2006, 10:04 AM
MOking
Tourer

I was thinking I would fill my tires with salt water. If an aircraft carrier floats across the oceans, what happens with the much lighter weight of a road king?

The King will float like a dream!

Old 04-26-2006, 11:38 AM
vernh59
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We use nitrogen in our aircraft tires because the gas is much more stable with changes in temps and altitude. The next time I have my RK at 8000ft I will have to check the pressure and do a comparison.

Old 04-26-2006, 03:27 PM
thunderbirdblue2
Tourer

Laugh all you want but it is very apparanent that none of you have ever experienced nitrogen narcosis... Well I for one have expereienced it numerous times... I tried 100% nitrogen in my tires and the experience was multiplied 10 fold...

For those of you who do not know what nitrogen narcosis is it is also called rapture of the deep....

Nitrogen narcosis or inert gas narcosis is a reversible alteration in consciousness producing a state similar to alcohol intoxication. It is most noticed by SCUBA divers at depths beyond 30m. (Technically, it occurs at any depth, but in most cases doesn't become noticeable until deeper depths. A good analogy is one with alcohol... the effect of one martini per 10m).

The onset is hard to recognize, its severity is unpredictable, and it can kill, from its own toxic effect or due to the resulting illogical behaviour. However the cure for nitrogen narcosis is a simple one, as effects disappear upon ascending from lower altitudes.

Now that you have the facts... I think you will agree... Converting to nitrogen increases the possiblity of nitrogen narcosis and I'm sure we have all seen bikers with narcosis before...

Old 04-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, but that southern air is soooooooo much slower![>:]

Old 04-26-2006, 05:34 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: KBFXDLI

I already changed the winter air out of mine and put the summer air in. I'm all set for 8 months. Plus the guy only charges me $50.
Move to Phoenix where we use summer air year around. On second thought, don't move here, we have to damn many people as it is.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:13 PM
Howler
Road Captain

And here I thought nitrogen just made the tire rounder so your bike rolled better saveing dollars at the gas pump's.[sm=confused06.gif]
Wow the things you learn on the H-D forum[sm=smokin.gif]

Old 04-26-2006, 06:30 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i appreciate the levity here BUT nitrogen is the way to go. the molecules are larger and uniform compared to ambient air. this lessens leakage from the tire. nitrogen is dry so the inside of the tire doesn't deteriorate. your tire runs cooler thus lasts longer, heat wears a tire and your load capacity is increased. we (the army) uses nitrogen in shock struts and tires on all the helicopters. i asked a couple of local tire distributors about getting the nitrogen generators to fill tires and was told we sell tires we don't want to extend the life of our tires. the local Chrysler plant uses compressed notrogen for all their air operated machinery to cut down maintenance time. Yes, it's worth the expense.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:09 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

Mythbusters did a study on this,...they found no advantage>>>>>>>>>>m yth BUSTED....

Sounds like a bunch of trouble for nothing to me.

Quick Reply: Changing air in tires