Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ladies- how do you control helmet hair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife use to spend 10 min in the mirror fixing and fluffing, I bought her a visor and now she jumps off and puts the hat on, no more fluffing.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

My ex had hair almost to her waist.

She used one of these...

She loved it.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife doesn't worry about it when we wear helmets. When we're not, she just puts a rubber around the back of her hair.

Old 03-09-2009, 03:39 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to DoRag thing, and they look awful. I carry a brush and just let it fly most times. If I'm really concerned I have one of those leather wraps that I put it in but they seem to just slide off my hair more often than not. Is there a trick to keeping them in place?

Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Biker Oma
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Helmet hair is the price to pay for playing in the wind. I shake out my Tilley and pop it on when I shed the helmet. When riding I have a problem with any loose hair that whips my face, in my eyes and checks so I tryed the DoRag thing, but soon gave that up. What a pain.

What DOES work: I swiped my Buff Headgear from my cross county ski stuff and it works like a charm. They can be worn in mutiple ways depending if you are wearing it for hot or cold; just trying to keep the hair up and away, or for warming your neck. They come in tons of colours and prints, and cost about $20

Old 03-09-2009, 05:16 PM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Lost1
Girlfriend wanted me to ask- how do other women riders control helmet hair? Bandanna? Do-rag? Something? Anything? No solution?

Thanks!
Who cares....let it be!

The important thing for me is to make sure it is retained as much against the wind as possible, because the comb out is a nightmare!

I sometimes see women on bikes with nothing holding their hair down and I always think they must be brand new riders because when you go to comb that out, your going to loose half your hair!!

I put mine in a ponytail, put a light stretch face mask/cover over my hair and my face, put a do rag on, then the helmet. The hair doesn't get any wind so when I take everything off, it just combs out nice.

I cut my hair short a couple years ago. Won't ever do that again. Long hair for bikes is the way to go for me, much easier to care for.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyeball Kid
My ex had hair almost to her waist.

She used one of these...

She loved it.
I can see how these might work well if they don't slide off and if the weight or downward pull doesn't give you a headache. Thing is, I haven't noticed that they really stay in place all that great and I don't want the headache of having to make adjustments to the thing throughout the day because it slid down or isn't straight anymore.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:06 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've tried these thingies too...Problem is all the short hairs come out and fly around in my face...and driving hwy speed THAT hurts!..not to mention ... THAT it also drives me nuts..Still have to wear a bandana to stop that from happening.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by schumacher
My wife doesn't worry about it when we wear helmets. When we're not, she just puts a rubber around the back of her hair.

A rubber?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

GG, I tried one of the short ones and didn't much care for it. My hair isn't long enough or thick enough for it to be of real value. You look like you have thick hair, so it would probably be fine. They come with an elastic pony holder and a hook on the leather to attach it with. That keeps it from sliding. In your case, I think it'd work. But, sounds like you have figured out what works for you, so probably not worth re-inventing the wheel.

To be honest, the best "solution" I've found for helmet hair is to avoid mirrors! Once I get a glimpse of how bad I look, I become self-conscious about it. Out of sight, out of mind! Needless to say, riding is not a good fit for "primpers"!

Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl
I can see how these might work well if they don't slide off and if the weight or downward pull doesn't give you a headache. Thing is, I haven't noticed that they really stay in place all that great and I don't want the headache of having to make adjustments to the thing throughout the day because it slid down or isn't straight anymore.

Quick Reply: Ladies- how do you control helmet hair?