General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

polished aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006 | 02:33 PM
84sugar
|
Advanced
Default polished aluminum

Just dropped three bills having billet aluminum primaries,rocker covers, tranny cover etc. polished. Looks as good as chrome and I would like to keep it that way. However the polisher said its pretty futile and to plan on having it done about every three years or right before you sell it. Whats the best way to keep it looking as sharp as possible for as long as possible? Thanks!

Old 04-25-2006 | 03:19 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Default RE: polished aluminum

I've never dealt with billet, but on my old 85 FXR after the clear laquer wore off the aluminum bits, I used Nev-R-Dull. The stuff worked great.

Old 04-25-2006 | 03:21 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I use never dull but I like the Harley Metal Polish better. Get a dremel tool with a buffing wheel or a buffing wheel for your drill. Or try a powerball on your drill.

Old 04-25-2006 | 03:22 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree... nev-r-dull is great, and so is Mothers Mag Polish. However.... I suspect you will soon understand the polishers reference to "futile".....

That stuff looks really good when it's polished up like that.

Old 04-25-2006 | 03:45 PM
Kirubup
Intermediate

Flitz Metal Polish will keep it nice. Polish it out every two weeks. With aluminum you have to stay on top of it.

I speak from experience. I owned a yacht maintenance company, servicing mega- yachts (we polished miles of metal) and have experimented with all of the metal polishes on the market. Flitz is the best.

Old 04-25-2006 | 04:24 PM
carsoni
Tourer

Try some MAAS metal polish, this stuff is awesome, on chrome too

Old 04-25-2006 | 04:32 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member

I know these threads can turn into "which is the best oil, etc."

But all I can say is you owe it to yourself to try the FLITZ metal polish. I've used neverdull, Mothers, etc. Nothing has worked as well as FLITZ for polishing my bikes.

Old 04-25-2006 | 05:37 PM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

I use either Flitz or Mother's. Best rag to use is a cotton baby diaper (good luck finding any these days), second best is old white T-shirts. Like said before, keep up on it. As soon as you notice spots or dulling, hit it by hand & polish. Be really careful if you plan on using a Dremel or any other power buffing. It's too easy to slip and hit the metal screw on you nice parts, leaving a scar.

Old 04-25-2006 | 05:50 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master

Three years? Polished alum will loose it's chrome like shine in 3 months. Did he put zoop seal on it? Zoop is supposed to last for 3 years, never tried it though. An alternate for you would be to have it powder coated with super gloss clear, then you will never have to mess with it.

Old 04-25-2006 | 06:10 PM
84sugar
|
Advanced

No zoop seal applied that I'm aware of. But thanks for all the great info. Looks like Flitz twice a month!!

Quick Reply: polished aluminum