General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 10:42 AM
princeaz
Cruiser
Location: Payson, AZ within 400 miles of the best the west has to offer for riders
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The info you are looking for is at FMVSS-108. Check the regs for tail lamp-stop lamp.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Big D Harley
Cruiser

If you are a HOG member, on the owners site is a section where you can see motorcycle laws in all the states. You can see if there is a reference in the law to taillight modulators.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Shark46
Cruiser

I know in California they have a limit of 5 flashes before solid, in Nevada there is no regulation. The module on ebay has a green wire loop that if left connected gives 3-5 flashes and if cut gives 10-12 flashes before solid.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
One more question before I order that on eBay: What affect would it have on a bike with cruise control, which mine has.

I am then going to buy the tail light conversion kit at HD today when I bring my bike in for the 1000 service.
Can't see where it would have any effect at all. It's only wired into the brakelight circuit. Don't know if you've checked out any other systems but there are non HD units that have the running/brake,turn signal conversion and the flashing brakelights in the same unit.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Slowpoke84
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My personal opinion on those devices, I don't care for 'em. I think it's a good habit to tap your breaks on your own to let traffic behind you know you're stopping. I can keep an eye on 'em in my mirror and tap accordingly. If I have some module do it for me, I'm not in control. Plus, it's good for your breaks. Just my $0.02.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:24 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Can't see where it would have any effect at all. It's only wired into the brakelight circuit. Don't know if you've checked out any other systems but there are non HD units that have the running/brake,turn signal conversion and the flashing brakelights in the same unit.

Too late... I just picked up my biek at HD for the 1000 mile service. When I was there I asked, the asst. service manager thought for amonet and said "it might". He then mentioned the concersion kit. I said Iwas planing on buy it and installing it this weekend. He offered to do it for me at no additional labor so I agreed.

Now to find out if I can truely add the flash module. I rode in my first group Sunday and few had it and the were VERY noticeable.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:01 PM
cocoaroadking
2nd Gear
Default BrightAssLights

My wife purchased a new LED taillight manufactured by BrightAssLights. They claim their brake light is the brightest out there. I have to say I believe them. There is three brightness setting which are changed easily by touching the supplied magnet to the top right corner of the taillight. It has 23 different flash modes which is nice if your riding in parades, toy runs, etc. Some of the modes are the same used by the police bikes. BrightAssLights make several different LED lights for all types of emergency vehicles. My friend was behind me the other morning and said he thought I was right in front of him. He realized later that i was a mile or two ahead of him. He was amazed that he could see my brake light that far.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
deepspace
Banned

Originally Posted by Trock
Someone said they carried a copy of the DOT law for brake lights that have a flash sequence in case they get stopped. I had a Sheriff question mine today and I can't find the law. I knew him so it wasn't a problem. Does anyone have a link. Thanks
DOT doesn't pass laws, congress does. Or in the case of state law, the legislatures. Refer to "Schoolhouse Rock - How a Bill becomes a Law"

Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cocoaroadking
My wife purchased a new LED taillight manufactured by BrightAssLights. They claim their brake light is the brightest out there. I have to say I believe them. There is three brightness setting which are changed easily by touching the supplied magnet to the top right corner of the taillight. It has 23 different flash modes which is nice if your riding in parades, toy runs, etc. Some of the modes are the same used by the police bikes. BrightAssLights make several different LED lights for all types of emergency vehicles. My friend was behind me the other morning and said he thought I was right in front of him. He realized later that i was a mile or two ahead of him. He was amazed that he could see my brake light that far.
How many LED's in the one you got? Was it an easy install?

Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 09:56 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
I think it's a case where the law hasn't caught up to technology. Unless there's a push by the AMA, Abate or others to directly permit the use of flashing brakelights or someone successfully fights a ticket and thereby establishes new case law most of us are probably at the mercy of overzealous traffic cops with not enough to do.

Wife and I haven't been questioned about ours yet.

If we get a ticket I will fight it and argue that:

1. It's no different than manually tapping our brakes to warn other drivers of an imminent stop or hazard.

2. The same rationale that permits the use of flashing 4 ways should be applied to the use of flashing brakelights. "To warn of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching".

That's a great way to handle it. As long as...... your particular State doesn't specifically mention the use of such a devise as being illegal. If it does, then all the argument in the world won't help.

Quick Reply: Flashing brake lights