General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:09 PM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's up to the State to decide what is legal ... you have to check with your MO DMV to see if they are legal in your State .

Old 06-28-2009, 04:57 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it's a case where the law hasn't caught up to technology. Unless there's a push by the AMA, Abate or others to directly permit the use of flashing brakelights or someone successfully fights a ticket and thereby establishes new case law most of us are probably at the mercy of overzealous traffic cops with not enough to do.

Wife and I haven't been questioned about ours yet.

If we get a ticket I will fight it and argue that:

1. It's no different than manually tapping our brakes to warn other drivers of an imminent stop or hazard.

2. The same rationale that permits the use of flashing 4 ways should be applied to the use of flashing brakelights. "To warn of the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring the exercise of unusual care in approaching".

Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Johnnyiroc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got two of those super bright electro pod flashing l.e.d lights. I have never been bothered by the cops. But they are directional, you have to mount them directly at the eye level of someone behind you to some extent. I do not think they are as good as the others with 100+ lights, but effective and nearly blinding at night.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
grimreaper169
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Florida all the motercycle cop bikes brake lights flash as long as they are applyed.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Trock
I have the Radiance Hardcore light with 136 LED's but I can't tell you which light is brightest.
Radiantz makes some of the best LED's out there.

As far as the flashing modulator is concerned - it's up to each state to decide. I know in VA, the state inspectors have a seperate code written just for motorcycles. The standard 'cage' code specifically states no flashing modulators may be used, but... That same comment isn't in the motorcycle code. So... It doesn't say it's allowed, but more importantly - it doesn't say it's illegal either.

Personally, I have the back-off module and like it a lot. I've had other bikes tell me it's very noticeable, and that's what I was aiming for. If I had to do it again, I'd go for the strobe affect. A buddy of mine has one and the strobe is really eye catching.

http://customdynamics.com/kisan_trai...celeration.htm

Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 PM
digz`
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brightasslights are brighter if you turn them up , they have 3 brightness settings

Old 06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Wher ecan you order the flashing brake light adaptor? I saw it on displa at Treasure Coast HD in Stuart, FL. But I had not bought a bike yet at the time. Now I can not find them to order them.

Also, can the be used with the brake light adaptor that swaps out the amber running lights for red, and transfors into running, turn signal, and brrake?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2009, 06:10 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla
Wher ecan you order the flashing brake light adaptor? I saw it on displa at Treasure Coast HD in Stuart, FL. But I had not bought a bike yet at the time. Now I can not find them to order them.

Also, can the be used with the brake light adaptor that swaps out the amber running lights for red, and transfors into running, turn signal, and brrake?

Thanks
We use this model on both our bikes and it works fine with the HD run/turn/brake module.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REARA...1%7C240%3A1309

I wired them into the module harness south of the module itself so that in the event I have an issue at inspection time, I can just pull the module out.

Edit: Just remembered why I installed it south of the module. Had it north at first and it gives a different lighting effect. All 3 lights flash which I thought could be confusing if you have the turn signal on. When installed south only the brake light flashes which I prefer.

Another member (TK353?) told me about the Rearalert and he preferred the former lighting effect. There was a thread on the subject but I couldn't find it.

Last edited by jimmers1817; 06-29-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:12 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
We use this model on both our bikes and it works fine with the HD run/turn/brake module.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REARA...1%7C240%3A1309

I wired them into the module harness south of the module itself so that in the event I have an issue at inspection time, I can just pull the module out.

Edit: Just remembered why I installed it south of the module. Had it north at first and it gives a different lighting effect. All 3 lights flash which I thought could be confusing if you have the turn signal on. When installed south only the brake light flashes which I prefer.

Another member (TK353?) told me about the Rearalert and he preferred the former lighting effect. There was a thread on the subject but I couldn't find it.

Thanks !!!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:23 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

One more question before I order that on eBay: What affect would it have on a bike with cruise control, which mine has.

I am then going to buy the tail light conversion kit at HD today when I bring my bike in for the 1000 service.

Quick Reply: Flashing brake lights