General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Bike Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 PM
xbigdoggx
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rider Bike Suggestions

So I am looking at buying a first bike.I am 5'9" 240 ish. I have been riding here and there since I was a kid but just little bikes 125 cc 200 cc and a couple 550's here and there. I am looking into buying a big bike in may and based on looks alone drawn twords either the night rod special or the Iron 883. Just wondering if 883 will be enough bike for my size. Also not sure if I will be okay with 600-700 lbs of bike anyway but any suggestions. Also I read somewhere that the vrsc's are hard to ride on twisty roads and not that comfortable for long rides since they have forward pegs that the reviewer said bent him like a clam. Anyone else have any experience with that. I am mainly planning on going on long highway/ canyon rides not to much around town stuff so I need something comfortable but something thats still mean not a touring bike.Prefer straight bars look. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fat boy or Softail classic---that's not a weight joke. Dyna's would work but you would look big on an 883. JMO and you probably will hear others.
Originally Posted by xbigdoggx
So I am looking at buying a first bike.I am 5'9" 240 ish. I have been riding here and there since I was a kid but just little bikes 125 cc 200 cc and a couple 550's here and there. I am looking into buying a big bike in may and based on looks alone drawn twords either the night rod special or the Iron 883. Just wondering if 883 will be enough bike for my size. Also not sure if I will be okay with 600-700 lbs of bike anyway but any suggestions. Also I read somewhere that the vrsc's are hard to ride on twisty roads and not that comfortable for long rides since they have forward pegs that the reviewer said bent him like a clam. Anyone else have any experience with that. I am mainly planning on going on long highway/ canyon rides not to much around town stuff so I need something comfortable but something thats still mean not a touring bike.Prefer straight bars look. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by oldairboater; 03-06-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:03 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. IMO the 883 would be too small for you. I'm 6ft 235 lbs - and ride a Fatboy. I had to move the floorboards, shifter lever and brake lever to make it fit better. I imagine you could ride one without doing anything to it.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:07 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Any 800 cc metric would be fine, so I don't see where a sporty would be a problem... or ? any other bike... it's YOUR nickle. I have NO idea why someone would say a V-rod wouldn't handle twisty roads... but like any opinion, I guess it's valid as the next. I don't know that they'd be comfortable for an Iron Butt, but you gotta figure on needing gas every 100 miles or so, which would give you ample time to stretch.

Personally, MY advise would be for you to
1) take the MSF BRC class, "here and there since you was a kid" doesn't sound like a lot of experience, the money would be well spent, you'd have fresh skills, and often an insurance discount

2) given your wide range of bikes, take the class, and then buy a metric, ride a while, then figure out what you want the bike for.... then select the bike that will do the job, you've selected.

Again, I doubt you'll follow , or even like MY opinion.... but you asked.

Pretty much ANY bike could do every task... folks bigger than you are touring the country from coast on little ol Ninja 250 cc bikes.
Buy what you want, buy what you can afford.

Go to dealership, sit on EVERY thing, used, new even metric.... the one that calls your name after you walk away, will be the one..... trust me, if it's the right bike, it WILL call your name

Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM
afnid
5th Gear

My riding experience was similar, and was a bit pretentious the first time I rode a Harley, but recently talked my way into a test drive on an 09 Road King and a Fat Boy without any issues.

I have an old Honda XR600 dirt bike that weighs 272 pounds dry (that I haven't ridden much), and a Harley feels almost less because of the lower center of gravity. My previous road experience was very limited and on light bikes, but a lot of dirt bike time. I just rented a King Classic and put 450 miles on it in a day of riding and never felt out of control or in danger to myself or others.

Other than the expected issues of riding defensively on the street there were really only two things I had to adjust to. 1) Stopping the bike with the additional weight and a switch to using the front brake more than accustomed and 2) Counter steering, although makes perfect sense, my natural instinct is to throw the bike around and body steer. I did a 6 mile stretch of tight twisties .. three times, and only had an issue of the bike moving towards the center line once or twice when I instinctively tried to muscle it.

Driving in traffic is no fun anyways, but when I buy one I will definitely spend more time on quiet back roads and work on improving some slow-ride skills in a parking lot. I have already viewed the "Riding Like a Pro Videos" which shows what the bike is capable of, and would probably take a MSF course at some point, but don't see it as a prerequisite for someone who knows how to ride.

In my very limited opinion I don't think the weight or power should be nearly as much of a concern unless lack the basic skills or you have no fear and like to drive on the edge of your ability or environment. I guess if someone was that unsafe, weight and power still isn't gonna make much difference!

Old 03-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I am looking at buying a first bike....... I need something comfortable but something thats still mean not a touring bike.Prefer straight bars look. Any help would be much appreciated.
two words ....... Fat Bob

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a Road King. Your size was made for a King. You'll love it. Rent one, and you'll see what I mean. Rent a Sporty, and you'll save $$ by NOT getting it....

Old 03-05-2009, 04:21 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're a big guy, get a big bike. Your body will thank you. Just go get the Ultra and live for the ride!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:04 PM
xbigdoggx
4th Gear

skootchnc-"Again, I doubt you'll follow , or even like MY opinion.... but you asked."
No I really appreciate the advice. I am signed up for april classes at the local dealer. I wanna make sure I get some experience since when I said here and there I meant very rarely. I mean I know the basics but I maybe have 20 hours of riding under my belt. I definitely plan on going over to the dealer and sitting on everything until I find the right one. Although I tend to be a instant gratification person so i doubt Ill be able to buy something to get used to before buying something nice. But I am hoping to get my licence and classes done then convince my dealer to let me rent a few bikes for a day each and then put the rental fee twords the bike I purchase.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM
mudsnark
Advanced

I have a Dyna and love it...after a year, however, I really wished I went for a bigger bike. Don't get me wrong, it works for me. Love the chrome. It has great power, too. If I had to do it over again, I dunno, might have selected a SG. My bike is paid for, so who am I to complain!!!

Quick Reply: New Rider Bike Suggestions