General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Bike Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 10:11 AM
madet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know a lot of people who have gotten an 883 as a "starter bike" only to regret it a year later after they feel they have outgrown it. That, coupled with your size, should steer you towards anything other than an 883.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy what you like. Bigger in most cases is better (especially for the kind of riding your talking about). Don’t listen to numbskulls on here telling you to buy a metric. If you want an HD, buy an HD.

I believe starter (small) bikes are a waste of money unless you've never ridden. their only good for learning the basics, and then after owning one for only a couple of months you will be tired of it, and wanting to trade it in for your dream bike.

A MSF course is a good idea. Test rides are also a good idea.

My first street bike was a Fatboy, and there was a little learning curve which required me to be a little "extra" careful, but I had no problems.

A guy your size will be much better off on a bigger bike. Buy what you think looks good, and most importantly what will be comfortable for your style of riding.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Coastie
Buy what you like. Bigger in most cases is better (especially for the kind of riding your talking about). Don’t listen to numbskulls on here telling you to buy a metric. If you want an HD, buy an HD.

I believe starter (small) bikes are a waste of money unless you've never ridden. their only good for learning the basics, and then after owning one for only a couple of months you will be tired of it, and wanting to trade it in for your dream bike.

A MSF course is a good idea. Test rides are also a good idea.

My first street bike was a Fatboy, and there was a little learning curve which required me to be a little "extra" careful, but I had no problems.

A guy your size will be much better off on a bigger bike. Buy what you think looks good, and most importantly what will be comfortable for your style of riding.
That's the same way I was thinking. All the people I know bought crappy starter bikes and got tired of them within months, which wastes money. So I chose to just buy the nightster as my first bike. I have my permit and I learned on my buddies Honda cruiser. it has 1100cc's so the power was similar to the nightster. I have ridden my nightster now about 5 or six times. still not that great at low speeds though, (mainly the start up motion) but in 3 weeks I will be doing the riders course so I expect to have perfected it by then... Then I will actually ride my nightster with confidence. LOL
But I Love the nightster and it's got some power to it as well.
Get what you love and I suggest taking the course....

Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Buy a Road Glide. You will then be a member of the secret society. The RG is the best of the best when it comes to the various HD models. Everyone who has one loves it, everyone who has a different model wishes they had one.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget the 883, too small and you'll want a bigger bike soon afterward.

Look into a Dyna or Softail unless you want some storage then think Road King.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Any 800 cc metric would be fine, so I don't see where a sporty would be a problem... or ? any other bike... it's YOUR nickle. I have NO idea why someone would say a V-rod wouldn't handle twisty roads... but like any opinion, I guess it's valid as the next. I don't know that they'd be comfortable for an Iron Butt, but you gotta figure on needing gas every 100 miles or so, which would give you ample time to stretch.

Personally, MY advise would be for you to
1) take the MSF BRC class, "here and there since you was a kid" doesn't sound like a lot of experience, the money would be well spent, you'd have fresh skills, and often an insurance discount

2) given your wide range of bikes, take the class, and then buy a metric, ride a while, then figure out what you want the bike for.... then select the bike that will do the job, you've selected.

Again, I doubt you'll follow , or even like MY opinion.... but you asked.

Pretty much ANY bike could do every task... folks bigger than you are touring the country from coast on little ol Ninja 250 cc bikes.
Buy what you want, buy what you can afford.

Go to dealership, sit on EVERY thing, used, new even metric.... the one that calls your name after you walk away, will be the one..... trust me, if it's the right bike, it WILL call your name
Took the words right out of my mouth. Buy a metric first, anything will do...Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki. They are all good platforms and perfect for somebody who has little experience riding. There's a wider range of bikes and engine sizes to choose from. Also from a cost standpoint you will spend a lot less than you would on a Harley. If you're going to make mistakes, it best to make them on something less expensive and one which you're won't become quite so attached to. Obviously taking the MSF course should be your #1 priority at this point.

Last edited by tda69; 03-09-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
mudsnark
Advanced

Originally Posted by zeus33
Buy a Road Glide. You will then be a member of the secret society. The RG is the best of the best when it comes to the various HD models. Everyone who has one loves it, everyone who has a different model wishes they had one.
So I am in the sealership yesterday and start talking...they want to give me 12K on my 2009 FXDC and if I fork over $7,700 I can get the RK out the door and includes all of their add-on stuff. That sure does seem high to me. I really do like my Dyna, but you can get beat up pretty good on long trips. I also plan to put in a 3000 mile trip this summer (subject to whether I trade up) Shouldn't the Road Glide be more in that price range? Any comments from anybody?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tda69
Took the words right out of my mouth. Buy a metric first, anything will do...Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki or Kawasaki. They are all good platforms and perfect for somebody who has little experience riding. There's a wider range of bikes and engine sizes to choose from. Also from a cost standpoint you will spend a lot less than you would on a Harley. If you're going to make mistakes, it best to make them on something less expensive and one which you're won't become quite so attached to. Obviously taking the MSF course should be your #1 priority at this point.
B.S. Don’t waste your money on a starter bike (metric) if you already know the basics. In fact for the type of riding your describing a sporty is too small unless your seriously hardcore! I started out on a Fatboy and I'm no superhero, I didn't have any problems.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
xbigdoggx
4th Gear

So I finally am getting around to getting it this week and I have it narrowed down to
1999 Dyna Super Glide 15000 Miles $6500
2000 Dyna Low Rider 22000 Miles $6200
or a few 1200 Sportsters in a range of ages and prices
Not sold on one style but more an under 7500 price range. I plan on doing a few long trips and tons of 100 mile and less canyon trips in the area. Any help would be appreciated. I plan to learn well on this bike and then next spring trade up to a Road King. Thanks for all the help.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbyrd
two words ....... Fat Bob
+1

Go to a Harley demo day at a local dealership. You can try every bike and make up your mind from there.

I demoed a Fat Bob and loved it. It was my #2 choice behind the Night Train.

Quick Reply: New Rider Bike Suggestions