General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Bike Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:21 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He did say they he was looking to do some road trips and for trips, the RK is nice as he can also do around town riding without having too big of a bike. Heis a big fellow and the sportie is not gonna be enough bike for him. I don't wanna **** off the sportie crowd but they are not good for big people and long trips and the 883 is weak at best. I like sporties as much as the next guy but NOT as a primary bike. Thats why you see more used sporties for sale and being traded in than any other Harley.

Note to the thread poster...go ride some bikes and get the one thats right for you but when test riding keep in mind this question..."what will I want to ride in a year, 2 years and for the long run?"

Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6' 3" 205 lbs. I bought the nightster as my first bike, I love the crossbones so I got the nightster when Harley has that ride free for a year promotion (it's still going on) So if by any chance I hate the nightster then I would trade up a year for the crossbones. I just am a novice and a crossbones off the bat would just be too much bike for me. But now That I have the nightster, I don't think I'll trade it in... I love it.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
BandtChsr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
I'm 5'8" and go about 255#
I bought my first Harely almost two years ago.
I got a Sportster 1200 Low...in Deep Cobalt Pearl....beautiful bike.
It fits me good, crowded bad if the wife jumps on.
But decided to trade up with the Ride Free deal.
Good luck on picking out your first Harley

Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM
xbigdoggx
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info. I am gonna go down and start sitting on some stuff the beginning of next week but I am tempted with trying out a Nightster or one of the other sportsters and then trading it in next year for something bigger if I dont love it. I also wanna take a ride on a VRSC and see how it feels.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:45 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BiggDogg
I'm 6' 3" 205 lbs. I bought the nightster as my first bike, I love the crossbones so I got the nightster when Harley has that ride free for a year promotion (it's still going on) So if by any chance I hate the nightster then I would trade up a year for the crossbones. I just am a novice and a crossbones off the bat would just be too much bike for me. But now That I have the nightster, I don't think I'll trade it in... I love it.
The cross bones tends to jamb the rider up towards the bars which is not good for a big guy...they have a seat relocation kit though...I'm just under 6' and it's a short bike for me...

Old 03-06-2009, 08:06 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member

Go for the bigger bike you are a big dude and you'll be happier long term!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:43 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy1
The cross bones tends to jamb the rider up towards the bars which is not good for a big guy...they have a seat relocation kit though...I'm just under 6' and it's a short bike for me...
It does? Nuts! I'll have to test it out sometime this year.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't listen to anyone! Go to your nearest Harley store,look, and sit on those that you like the look of. I am also your height and don't fit most of the baggers. If you have any riding experience at all, go right to a big bike. You will regret a sportster! I have a softail deluxe. Plenty of power, great looks, easy to ride ( lowest bike Harley produces with low center of gravity). Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 AM
P'colaHarley-17RGS
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Personallly I'd go with the Fatboy... but here's the deal

Have an idea of which bikes you're interested in and actually sit on (and test ride if possible) each one before you make your decision. It might not be a bad idea to sit on one of every model either? I initially was only looking at the Fatbob, Nightrain(sp), and Rocker and after sitting on each had decided on the Fatbob. Only before I could find the bike I wanted I happened across the Fatboy and sat on it and that was it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fatboy ,Heritage classic and a Road king are good for trips and around town. They ride a little big around town but hum on the highway. Full dressers are for the open road to me but bulky and hot in town. Dyna's are sporty but they get old on long trips. Sportster are quick, nimble and fun. V-rod's are in a group all their own. Quick and Euro looking to me. Being heavy you would look fat on a sportster. If that doesn't bother you than go for it. The important thing here is to shop for the bike you like--that fits you. --------Buy what you like and can afford. -----The above is my opinion and others will disagree but I own a Heritage classic and a Wideglide. They ride different and I prefer each one for certain rides. Everyone I know that owns a Road king wants nothing but a Road king. The Ultra crowd is the same way--once they get an Ultra they stay with that family line. The Sportster crowd are either die-hards or cheapees waiting to move up. I have friends that will ride nothing but sportsters and have rode sportsters forever. JMO again.

Quick Reply: New Rider Bike Suggestions