Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring a pet dog on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 08:03 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 9lb Poodle and I really don't ride a H-D to impress anyone and the dog rides on my chest in a baby type carrier and she wears doggles to keep stuff from her eyes. According to some here you must have the right dog, the right bike, I don't care if others like or approve of me or my dog. I am happy and I don't give a chit what others think.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ozarksoutlaw
Our miniature rat terrier is going with us this summer only I'm going to make something to haul him in, the T-bag carrier looks good but it's $180.00. Shouldn't be too hard to do, he's only about 5 lbs.
By the way, he may be small but he's a BADAZZ!!
There's a guy on eBay that sells T-Bags...new in box for very good prices. His username is tcgco2. I purchased 2 Route 66 + Saddle Rolls for $450 (half retail). Very happy with them. I put a guy on this forum onto them and he picked up the pet carrier for $60. He runs "buy-it-now", 3 or 5 day auctions. If something doesn't sell, he generally re-lists it at a lower price. Stock always changes so keep looking.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:50 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Seriously, check out Mutt Muffs. Dogs hearing is something like 10X our and the pipes would be miserable.

And, yes, Chicks do love it. I think it's cool for a guy to carry a dog on his bike, or car, or whatever. Little fur ball, "manly" dog, it's all good. A "manly" man with a "girly" dog, in some ways, is cooler in my eyes. Means he is secure enough not to worry about appearances. I might approach a guy if he's on a bike. I will definitely approach a guy on a bike with a dog (as long as he's not with a chick)

Originally Posted by zeus33
haha, hey lots of feedback, and it's all good. So on the topic of whether or not it's manly to bring him, don't worry, I think my friends would just beat me up if I showed up for a ride with a white fur ball mutt. This is for my wife. You know the saying happy wife, err happy me. no that's not it, well forget it. Anyway, she'd like to bring him, it would save paying for someone to take care or him, and he's a bit of a character and he's pretty cool to have around. By the way, he's all manly, got all his jewels and parts, lifts his leg to pee, checks out the chicks, he's ok.

So I was thinking of one of those soft bags, sort of a rectangular shaped duffel bag type thing. With a mesh zipper end for air. Tie it behind the passenger on the luggage rack. I wasn't thinking his head would be out in the wind, so the goggles wouldn't be necessary and there wouldn't be any direct wind on his ears. But he would be more or less straight above the exhaust pipes. Would they be too loud for him? How sensitive is a dogs hearing? I don't want to deafen the poor mutt. I could insulate the bag that would help, but one end would still be open for air circulation, I wouldn't want to sufficate him or cook him either. The wife definately wouldn't be impressed.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 AM
BikerBabeMullins
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinkermc
I have a 9lb Poodle and I really don't ride a H-D to impress anyone and the dog rides on my chest in a baby type carrier and she wears doggles to keep stuff from her eyes. According to some here you must have the right dog, the right bike, I don't care if others like or approve of me or my dog. I am happy and I don't give a chit what others think.

i seen a guy carryin his dog like this too. wasnt a poodle tho...not sure what it was. we've got a 30lb beagle (my baby) and ive been tryin to figure out a way to bring him on rides. the husband wont let me tho. will be gettin a miniature daschund soon. ill definetly find a way to carry him with us. he'll be small enough i can hold him on the passenger seat with me.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM
IamZardoz
Tourer

Why the hell anybody wants to drag a dog along with them on a motorcycle is beyond me. Ask the dog if he/she thinks its ok. If they say yes, take them along.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Originally Posted by zeus33
haha, hey lots of feedback, and it's all good. So on the topic of whether or not it's manly to bring him, don't worry, I think my friends would just beat me up if I showed up for a ride with a white fur ball mutt. This is for my wife. You know the saying happy wife, err happy me. no that's not it, well forget it. Anyway, she'd like to bring him, it would save paying for someone to take care or him, and he's a bit of a character and he's pretty cool to have around. By the way, he's all manly, got all his jewels and parts, lifts his leg to pee, checks out the chicks, he's ok.

So I was thinking of one of those soft bags, sort of a rectangular shaped duffel bag type thing. With a mesh zipper end for air. Tie it behind the passenger on the luggage rack. I wasn't thinking his head would be out in the wind, so the goggles wouldn't be necessary and there wouldn't be any direct wind on his ears. But he would be more or less straight above the exhaust pipes. Would they be too loud for him? How sensitive is a dogs hearing? I don't want to deafen the poor mutt. I could insulate the bag that would help, but one end would still be open for air circulation, I wouldn't want to sufficate him or cook him either. The wife definately wouldn't be impressed.
Looks like you didn't read ALL your replies!! Here's the best thing for the pooch's ears.

Mutt Muffs
http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/cata...27/2311479.htm

Old 03-06-2009, 09:37 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned

Originally Posted by IamZardoz
Why the hell anybody wants to drag a dog along with them on a motorcycle is beyond me. Ask the dog if he/she thinks its ok. If they say yes, take them along.
Dogs may not be able to talk, but they can communicate. When you get back from a ride and the next morning your bike is pissed on...I don't think the wife did it....that should be communication enough that SOMEONE wanted to go along!!

Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadman77
I like dogs and motorcycles. They dont go together. No reason for it.

JMHO
MikeM
+1. Kind of like taking your infant to the golf course. They just don't match up well.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Not the same, backnasaddle and deadman77. If we have to explain, you won't understand. We are dog lovers.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:56 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Big Dogs in side cars are awesome. and no it's not a play with words (due to my name)

Quick Reply: Bring a pet dog on the bike?