Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring a pet dog on the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 09:44 PM
katmby
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try beastriders. there are carriers to strap onto the passenger seat. Of course doggles always when they are in the wind to protect their eyes.
http://beastriders.com/

Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
If you are not man enough to pick up your dog, that's your problem right there
you haven't met my dog.........even if you could pick him up he'd tear your arm off before you got the chance

Old 03-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Spudster
This has been discussed before! Leave your dog(s) at home w/house sitter or in a kennel....not on your motorcycle
There! We now have a ruling so we no longer have to think about it.

Thanks for clearing it up for us.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Greyboat
Tourer

Rode with a guy from LA to DC a few years back, had his dog with him in a sidecar. Great guy and great dog. I thought it was cool to have the dog along.
As for the wind noise, I think that is a valid concern but what about all those dogs that ride in a truck hanging there heads out the windows? You would think if it bothered them, they would pull their head back in the damn truck.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:17 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that even though dogs hear better than us, they would also have an increased tolerence for loud noises wouldnt they?

Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Here you go:

Kin in the Wind
by Ironhorse Writer

A greybeard biker
A white-muzzled mutt
A side car scoot
Named, "Three legged Putt"

Bedroll, dog bowl
Jerky to share
A squint, a pant
Off to anywhere

Two old dogs
Kin in the wind
One beyond tricks
The other beyond sin
Howlin' at the moon
Pickin' off fleas
Chasin' life
Faces in the breeze

Nature calls
All too abrupt
Its gear kicked down
Hind leg up

Off the highway
An old dirt road
Biker and dog
In kickback mode

"We're burnin' daylight"
Said with a grin
Off to anywhere
Once again

Two old dogs
Kin in the wind
The bond of Freedom
Burns within
Chasin' life
Is all they need
A heritage born
Of an American Breed

Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

haha, hey lots of feedback, and it's all good. So on the topic of whether or not it's manly to bring him, don't worry, I think my friends would just beat me up if I showed up for a ride with a white fur ball mutt. This is for my wife. You know the saying happy wife, err happy me. no that's not it, well forget it. Anyway, she'd like to bring him, it would save paying for someone to take care or him, and he's a bit of a character and he's pretty cool to have around. By the way, he's all manly, got all his jewels and parts, lifts his leg to pee, checks out the chicks, he's ok.

So I was thinking of one of those soft bags, sort of a rectangular shaped duffel bag type thing. With a mesh zipper end for air. Tie it behind the passenger on the luggage rack. I wasn't thinking his head would be out in the wind, so the goggles wouldn't be necessary and there wouldn't be any direct wind on his ears. But he would be more or less straight above the exhaust pipes. Would they be too loud for him? How sensitive is a dogs hearing? I don't want to deafen the poor mutt. I could insulate the bag that would help, but one end would still be open for air circulation, I wouldn't want to sufficate him or cook him either. The wife definately wouldn't be impressed.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I use and here's what rides in it. Not worried about the noise, its fully enclosed and sits on the luggage rack on the tour pack so the tour pak is also inbetween the pooch and the pipes.
http://www.tbags.com/detail.aspx?ID=57&SelectedCat=3

But of course we pamper him, this is what he wears when he goes scuba diving!

I would show you a pic of him in his parachute, when he is skydiving but since I'm scared to go with him, I haven't took a pic of that yet.

Last edited by Deepsouth251; 03-06-2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:52 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
haha, hey lots of feedback, and it's all good. So on the topic of whether or not it's manly to bring him, don't worry, I think my friends would just beat me up if I showed up for a ride with a white fur ball mutt. This is for my wife. You know the saying happy wife, err happy me. no that's not it, well forget it. Anyway, she'd like to bring him, it would save paying for someone to take care or him, and he's a bit of a character and he's pretty cool to have around. By the way, he's all manly, got all his jewels and parts, lifts his leg to pee, checks out the chicks, he's ok.

So I was thinking of one of those soft bags, sort of a rectangular shaped duffel bag type thing. With a mesh zipper end for air. Tie it behind the passenger on the luggage rack. I wasn't thinking his head would be out in the wind, so the goggles wouldn't be necessary and there wouldn't be any direct wind on his ears. But he would be more or less straight above the exhaust pipes. Would they be too loud for him? How sensitive is a dogs hearing? I don't want to deafen the poor mutt. I could insulate the bag that would help, but one end would still be open for air circulation, I wouldn't want to sufficate him or cook him either. The wife definately wouldn't be impressed.
I don't know how the exhaust noise would affect his hearing. I do know that I have had a couple of bird dogs that went deaf in their later years. I don't know whether it was from shotguns blasting over their heads or not because I also had several that never went deaf.
I bet your dog will love the ride!

Old 03-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Concrete Cowboy 2009
Cruiser

Quote: But of course we pamper him, this is what he wears when he goes scuba diving!

That, my friend, is the funniest thing I've seen today!

To the author: If you want to take your dog along, take it. Especially if it pleases the Mrs. I understand about pleasing the Mrs. and scooters.... sometimes they don't go together. When you get the chance -- ****** it!

Quick Reply: Bring a pet dog on the bike?