General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wraps on Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Physics time, guys!

The good part of this:
Wrapping the pipes is insulating them. Insulation is going to keep the heat in, allowing less to radiate over the pipe surface. Keeping the heat in means the exhaust gases stay at a higher temperature. Under the same conditions otherwise, hotter gases travel at higher velocity. That means the exhaust gases exit the combustion chamber more quickly, and engine efficiency is increased, making more power.

The mediocre part of this:
A stock engine will see very little power increase, and it won't be noticed seat-of-the-pants.

The bad part of this:
The pipes will suffer from carbon migration, As explained to me, this is caused by the higher temperatures of the steel, especially on relatively thin bike exhaust pipes. The carbon in the steel, which gives steel its hardness/strength, leaves the molecular structure, being driven off by the heat. The steel is now not as strong, and especially at welds, the lessened strength can result in cracks.

I like the looks on the right bike. Wrapping gets me a couple extra years out of a set of old rusted & pitted pipes, too.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:10 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHarley
cowboy1 thanks for your time in posting this how-to. Could you please tell me roughly if a 25' roll will do up to the megaphone Supertrapp muffler (after the collector stopped by the clamp) as I do not wish to do that. The purpose is only to hold heat inside of my pipes. The hotter the motor (combustion chamber) the more energy you receive form the fuel which produces more HP. I am taking on a new line from a company that manufactures this along with cable wrap called Techflex. Cleaned up my yellowing cables nicely, quality product. Here is a photo to estimate the wrap on my Supertrapp:
I remember doing a set of ST's a few years back for a buddy and the 25' was fine for the 1st pipe but we came up a foot short on the 2nd pipe which sucked. I always get the 50' as it costs much less than buying two 25's. The ST we did, which I still have in my shop as we ended up making custom pipes came out nice and I will go check but from what I remember the collector has it's own heat shield which is cool as you have the option of covering the collector. Keep in mind by the way IMHO it's best to wrap each pipe, stop at the collector and then use a short strip or the strip from the 2nd pipe wrapped to cover the stopping point of the 1st pipe wrapped.
Cool looking bike by the way.

Post Script: I just realized that I keep saying my shop in these posts. Please keep in mind I don't own a shop. I'm just a guy with a garage where I build bikes and cars and am a typical motor head.

Last edited by cowboy1; 03-07-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Cowboy1 Thank You for taking the time out of your life to help me. It is Sunday morning and I now have one less project (only one roll of 25') to do so WTF might as well go riding. I live in Fort Lauderdale, it is daylight savings time and lost an hour. Screw it, I'm out of here!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Cowboy1 Thank You for taking the time out of your life to help me. It is Sunday morning and I now have one less project (only one roll of 25') to do so WTF might as well go riding. I live in Fort Lauderdale, it is daylight savings time and lost an hour. Screw it, I'm out of here!
Have a great ride and remember the pipes are gonna stink and smoke for a while but it's no biggie...man I miss being in your are for spring break when I was youngin...hey post some pics of the pipes...

Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

pococj has it exactly correct on both the good and bad.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM
athasl
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up heat wrap

mostly for that look.the heat wrap make the gases inside the pipes hotter since the heat can not disperced through the pipes as fast.this hotter inturnal gas heat causes the exhaust tobe expelled faster.it doe not really give any advantage to the engine and does not make it run hotter. i have never used it but would use black , first wet the wrap ,use gloves to put it on and then run the engine after to remove the water. then spray paint with flat black high heat paint to keep the color.