General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat Wraps on Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 12:02 PM
madet
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used both with and without. Not much of a difference on the open road but the wraps worked well for me in a city envt.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slowpoke84
If I had to explain, you wouldn't... oh, fugetaboutit! But, seriously, I've heard both sides of the issue. Trapping the heat inside the pipes is good/bad for the engine/performance, blah, blah, blah. Personally, I think it comes down to cosmetics. On the right bike, they look bad ***, and that's all that matters.
Racers have been doing it for years and they for the most part, aren't interested in looks. I however, love the look of it and plan on doing the bagger. Heck if anyone wants me to do their bike, no problem. Maybe I'll trade my labor for a roll of wrap...nah, I'll do it for nothing...like I said I need the Kharma...LOL

Old 03-06-2009, 01:17 PM
wafu321
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowboy1
I'm a whole 15 minutes away from you...No problem...it may cost you a beer...I may have nothing to do Saturday if the wife goes to a barrel race so let me know...by the way I have a bunch of those stainless steel ties so you need wrap only...
Thanks for the offer and I hope I can take a rain check on it but I have 2 strikes against me right now. 1 is I'm working the weekend and 2 is I haven't got the wrap yet. As soon as I get organized I'll PM you. Thanks.......

Old 03-06-2009, 04:56 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wafu321
Thanks for the offer and I hope I can take a rain check on it but I have 2 strikes against me right now. 1 is I'm working the weekend and 2 is I haven't got the wrap yet. As soon as I get organized I'll PM you. Thanks.......
Just let me know when and we will get it done. I like doing it and making new friends is a plus. Heck Mama is going to a barrel race tomorrow so I am riding...spent the afternoon tuning up the horses and I'm beat but at least I earned some ride time tomorrow...see how warm it gets...maybe Alice's restaurant...

Old 03-06-2009, 07:47 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Geeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz,,,, Cowboy
It's been about 5 years since I've been to Alice's restaurant...
Good Spot to Hang out and watch the Bikes,,, have fun Dude..

Last edited by dennyo; 03-06-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2009, 10:49 PM
69siner
Intermediate

All I can say is thanks Cowboy. I wrapped mine about a year ago, I will agree, not much difference on the road, but TRUST ME works great for stop and go in town scootin'

Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 PM
fairplay
Road Master

after reading this, i found myself trying to talk my buddy into it today on his night train.
a couple questions:
1) what wrap do you use? I havent looked yet but i assume there is more selection than moco SE crap and a lot cheaper too?
2) you made mention more than once about paint. what are you painting?

Old 03-06-2009, 11:31 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fairplay
after reading this, i found myself trying to talk my buddy into it today on his night train.
a couple questions:
1) what wrap do you use? I havent looked yet but i assume there is more selection than moco SE crap and a lot cheaper too?
2) you made mention more than once about paint. what are you painting?
DEI makes the best wrap. It's about $40 for a 50' roll and another 5 for the new titamium infused wrap. If you paint it, get hi heat paint like you use for fireplaces and grills or buy the paint made by DEI. IMHO it's the same stuff. I posted instructions here int his thread and oh there is none made by Harley...it's a custom or hot rod thing not a Moco thing...if you have any questions, buzz me a private message...

Old 03-07-2009, 06:42 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default cowboy1 thanks for your time

cowboy1 thanks for your time in posting this how-to. Could you please tell me roughly if a 25' roll will do up to the megaphone Supertrapp muffler (after the collector stopped by the clamp) as I do not wish to do that. The purpose is only to hold heat inside of my pipes. The hotter the motor (combustion chamber) the more energy you receive form the fuel which produces more HP. I am taking on a new line from a company that manufactures this along with cable wrap called Techflex. Cleaned up my yellowing cables nicely, quality product. Here is a photo to estimate the wrap on my Supertrapp:

Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
FandA M
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've wrapped many sets of pipes and Cowboy1 insructions are pretty good.Instead of soaking in a bucket of water I usaully just mist it with a spray bottle.It makes less of a mess and still gets the wrap damp enough to work with.Also when wrapping, make sure you pull as tight as you can.The tighter it's wrapped the better.Painting is not neccesary but will help to prolong its life..............I never paint mine

I've found a 25'x2" piece will wrap a set(2 pipes) of 40" x 1 3/4" straight pipes.I always get 2 sets out of a 50'x2" roll

As far as HP, I just don't buy it.It sounds good in theory and I know its been used for a long time but I've never seen any noticeable added gains just by wrapping pipes.............but hey,what the hell.It does work well as a poor mans heat shield and if you're not into chrome,like me,it can look pretty cool too.

Attached Thumbnails Heat Wraps on Pipes-052508_13021.jpg  

Quick Reply: Heat Wraps on Pipes