General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ever had your Harley repossessed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cowboy1
I just feel that repo guys are bottom feeding scum bags and ranked down there with lawyers...to sum this up;

1. The finance company deserves the bike, car or whatever back in good operating condition if the people can't or won't pay.

2. Repo guys are scum that make their living off others misfortune.
Not trying to hijack this thread, but this is the second time I have seen this ignorant comment from cowboy1. I am an attorney, and I take great offense to these attacks. Now, I am sure there will be more to come for my posting this but I can take it. You can speak to any one of my clients, I most certainly do not make my living off of other people's misfortune (just ask the clients in the many pro bono cases my firm has handled over the last few years). I do, however, make a living assisting people through there misfortune. I worked very hard to get to where I am in life, shouldn't I get paid for the work I perform?

I see your profile says you are a construction manager cowboy. Let me give you a hypothetical. Say the same widow you mentioned that had her car repossessed, had a fire destroy her home and the insurance company denied her claim. She comes to me and I use my knowledge of the laws and the court system to force the insurance company to cover her claim. She uses the money and hires your construction company to rebuild her home. Under your logic, I should not get paid for my services because, after all, I would then be making a living off of her misfortune. Would you then not be entitled to get paid for rebuilding the home that was destroyed by the widow's misfortune?

I am not trying to say there are not bad lawyers out there, that would be a fool's argument. Likewise, you cannot argue that every builder is reputable and honest.

Sorry for the off topic reply

Old 03-04-2009, 05:46 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

No, never had a repo. My WG is the most expensive thing I ever bought to date and I plan on keeping it. If I get to a point that I can't afford it, and I'll know long before the repo man comes...I'll sell it and at least pay off the note.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:00 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tbyrd
Not trying to hijack this thread, but this is the second time I have seen this ignorant comment from cowboy1. I am an attorney, and I take great offense to these attacks. Now, I am sure there will be more to come for my posting this but I can take it. You can speak to any one of my clients, I most certainly do not make my living off of other people's misfortune (just ask the clients in the many pro bono cases my firm has handled over the last few years). I do, however, make a living assisting people through there misfortune. I worked very hard to get to where I am in life, shouldn't I get paid for the work I perform?

I see your profile says you are a construction manager cowboy. Let me give you a hypothetical. Say the same widow you mentioned that had her car repossessed, had a fire destroy her home and the insurance company denied her claim. She comes to me and I use my knowledge of the laws and the court system to force the insurance company to cover her claim. She uses the money and hires your construction company to rebuild her home. Under your logic, I should not get paid for my services because, after all, I would then be making a living off of her misfortune. Would you then not be entitled to get paid for rebuilding the home that was destroyed by the widow's misfortune?

I am not trying to say there are not bad lawyers out there, that would be a fool's argument. Likewise, you cannot argue that every builder is reputable and honest.

For 10 years I made a living as a Public Insurance Adjuster representing people who were denied payment or did get a proper offer from the insurance carrier. My job was to ensure that they were preperly imdemnified. After charging these folks 10% of their claim for all those years I developed a guilt complex and couldn't do it anymore. I used to justify my profession by telling myself that the carrier's adjusters were the crooked ones. Does this make it right? Not in my opinion. I resigned from the profession and sleep much better now. As for attorneys. In my opinion the main reason an attorney is needed is because of attorneys. You may be one of the good ones but like the AMA says patch wearing bikers represent 1% of bikers as a whole, good attorneys with ethics and proper acumen who treat people honestly represent 1% of the attorney population as a whole. Thats just my opinion and you can think whatever you need to in order to get through the night.

I made statements that IMO repo guys were scum. Maybe I made too much of a blanket statement. The ones I know and let me state again, I have never had something repo'd, are scum and are proud to do whatever they can to take a car. They sit around the local coffee shop here and brag about waiting for people to get out of their car and into their wheel chair and go into the store then take their car. The ones that act in such a manner are the ones that make me feel as I do about them.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

This thread reminded me of this...

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM
JTM402
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid cash for mine. simple accounting, don't take out more than you can put in.

"I ain't got a dime, but what I got is mine, I ain't rich, but Lord I'm free"

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer

Originally Posted by cowboy1
You may be one of the good ones but like the AMA says patch wearing bikers represent 1% of bikers as a whole, good attorneys with ethics and proper acumen who treat people honestly represent 1% of the attorney population as a whole. Thats just my opinion and you can think whatever you need to in order to get through the night.
Please don't take my comments as an attack, because they are not mean in that way, but I find it interesting that you adopt the AMA's argument about 1%ers and apply it to lawyers when you have "Support Your Local 81" written in your signature on these forums. While I do not subscribe to the theory that all 1%ers are criminal and give bikers a bad name, I would certainly assume a supporter such as yourself would see the folly in the argument.

Just my opinion, and again apologies for the off topic reply.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:26 PM
G$
Road Captain
Location: LexVegas, KY...home of fast wimmen & beautiful horses
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbyrd
Not trying to hijack this thread --- Really? Sure sounds like it ---- but this is the second time I have seen this ignorant comment from cowboy1. I am an attorney, and I take great offense to these attacks --- U sound like a defensive lil' twit ---. Now, I am sure there will be more to come for my posting this but I can take it ---U betcha, since u popped off Mister Lawyer ---. You can speak to any one of my clients, I most certainly do not make my living off of other people's misfortune (just ask the clients in the many pro bono cases my firm has handled over the last few years ---Ah, yes...the ol pro-bono plea....OK so now we'll use that same mentality and assume that the repo man would work for free, eh? Probably wouldn't even need the collateral now --- I do, however, make a living assisting people through "there" --- Enlighten us all and tell us the prestigious law "skool" u attended? ---misfortune. I worked very hard to get to where I am in life, shouldn't I get paid for the work I perform?

I am not trying to say there are not bad lawyers out there, that would be a fool's argument. Likewise, you cannot argue that every builder is reputable and honest ---Went from repo men, to lawyers, to builders...very weak argument counselor ---

.....I accept your apology for gettin all off-topic. Just as long as we have a clear understanding that the next time u wanna play antics with semantics....I'll continue to use your legal ego as a urinal **** cake.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
jason628
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings,

Well back on topic...Repos are definitely going up. I watched 381 repo'd Harleys run through the auction today...All were going dirt cheap. I have a feeling those used bike prices you're seeing at the dealers will be going down soon if they haven't already.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Tbyrd
Tourer

Originally Posted by G$
.....I accept your apology for gettin all off-topic. Just as long as we have a clear understanding that the next time u wanna play antics with semantics....I'll continue to use your legal ego as a urinal **** cake.
No ego here, and I deserve the beating over "there" vs. "their" normally one of my pet peeves but you caught me using the incorrect one. As for moving the argument to lawyers and builders, I was addressing the previous poster's profession.

Originally Posted by jason628
Greetings,

Well back on topic...Repos are definitely going up. I watched 381 repo'd Harleys run through the auction today...All were going dirt cheap. I have a feeling those used bike prices you're seeing at the dealers will be going down soon if they haven't already.
Where was the auction? Was it a dealer auction or open to the public? I have a friend looking for a good bike cheap.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior

They may get everything elese, but not Hoggetta! Cash talks... Repo Man walks

Quick Reply: ever had your Harley repossessed?