General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ever had your Harley repossessed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 03:59 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cowboy1
No it's not like blaming a cop for arresting a junkie. The junkie is a criminal in the eyes of the law and repo men will take an old lady's car because she missed a payment due to her being a widow. Sh*t the repo guy in my town will pick up a freakin car then drive up to Starbucks and hang around with it on the hook...
So that makes them scum....who are you? Mother Teresa? Sheesh...

Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Paflyfisher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you can get a government bail-out. It's not your fault you bought something you can't pay for, it's the evil banks fault for loaning you the money.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:16 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
So if you sold something to someone and they don't pay you make the payments for them....dude ALL these people took a loan and signed a contract with an agreement to pay with the bike as collateral. PERIOD!
So if you do work for someone and they don't pay you let them slide?

I doubt it.
I have done work for people in the past and do let them slide a bit if they have issues. Actually I am waiting for payment on a job now that is 6 weeks late but the guy has ligit issues and will pay me. I'm not saying that people should not give up vehicles they can't or won't pay for. I just feel that repo guys are bottom feeding scum bags and ranked down there with lawyers...to sum this up;

1. The finance company deserves the bike, car or whatever back in good operating condition if the people can't or won't pay.

2. Repo guys are scum that make their living off others misfortune.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:19 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that makes them scum....who are you? Mother Teresa? Sheesh...
Yup scum. No doubt in my mind. Anyone who makes their living off others misfortune is scum. As for me, at least I don't live in Cleavland...LOL...STBY

Old 03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Yup scum. No doubt in my mind. Anyone who makes their living off others misfortune is scum. As for me, at least I don't live in Cleavland...LOL...STBY
I heard that...sucks being here but I gotta stay to take care of my folks who are in their 80's and won't leave. But people who get behind on payments can usually contact the bank or finance company and work out an interest payment setup versus default. As for repo guys...I know one and he is just an average Joe doing his job. Lots of idiots go out and buy new Escalades with no intention of paying for them...so there is 2 sides to every story.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is nothign against you as a person but the repo guys I know around here all need to be shot! Anyone who capitolizes on others misfortunes needs a pipe to the head...and no I'm not a guy who hates repo men just because they took something of mine because it hasn't happened to me.

I just feel that people can make a living without preying on others...fire repair contractors, repo men, insurance adjusters, lawyers, "collision centers", contractors who follow storms...oh and any politician...

By the way, Eagle Federal is offering folks 2 months no payments to help you catch up...thats a sign that Harley is willing to help people in these tough times...
I'm sorry I just don't see it that way. Repo guys or girls have a job not much different than any other normal Joe.

Someone (a lender) has taken a risk and lent someone (a borrower) money to purchase an item. They (the lender and the borrower) enter into a contract. The borrower can't pay (for what ever reason), therefore hasn't been able to keep his end of the bargain. He doesn't own what he hasn't paid for.

You have to remember, the property that was purchased doesn't belong to the borrower .... at least not until he pays for it. If he can't pay, the property then simply goes back to it's rightful owner. The person who put out the money for it ... the lender.

No one has 'victimized' the anyone! No one has 'preyed' on anyone. Good grief! FAR FROM IT! They simply return property to the rightful owner...the guy who has put up the money. This is the only means the lender has to recoup the money he has given out. Most often the property is sold for less than what the lender lent out. He is the getting the crapy end of the stick ...NOT the borrower. He's off free and clear!

Last edited by bikergirl40; 03-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:09 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

just an average Joe doing his job. Lots of idiots go out and buy new Escalades with no intention of paying for them...so there is 2 sides to every story.
yep, my sister worked at a boat place, guy ordered a boat built and showed a certified check.

sis called bank and they said "wow, that's weird, you are the 5th dealership we have verified this check for, can't he make up his mind?"

Old 03-04-2009, 05:13 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by 04ctd
yep, my sister worked at a boat place, guy ordered a boat built and showed a certified check.

sis called bank and they said "wow, that's weird, you are the 5th dealership we have verified this check for, can't he make up his mind?"

Yep, and for the poor unlucky dealer who takes that check..the repo guy is the only legal way to re-coup some of your losses.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:17 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree to a certain point. They become scum for me when they show up in the middle of the night or hook up without checking to see if kids are in the vehicle. That has happened in the city near where I live several times. I believe that not paying for your property is wrong and the property does not belong to you but to the finance company.
They should be able to get their property. Sneaking around someone's house after dark could and should get your *** shot.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM
albertasaurus
Road Master
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't know why the repo guys/gals are getting dumped on here. As Bikergirl pointed out, they're just doing their job like you and me. To the best of my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the repo company is contracted by the lender. So, if you're going to dump on someone for being a bad guy, dump on the lender for allowing someone to live beyond their means.

Quick Reply: ever had your Harley repossessed?