General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running stale red lights soon to be legal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 AM
sandman2004
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it's legal here but I do it now. Providing the man isn't nearby.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s a necessary law. IMO It protects us from unnecessary tickets. I always stop and wait an unreasonable amount of time before I proceed through with caution.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:30 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

seems they have the technology to catch red light runners on camera.
I was stationed in Calif back in the late 70s and lived in Santa Ana. Coming home late at night, hardly to no traffic and one of the traffic lights wouldn't give me the green. I sat there for a while and noticed a SA LEO sitting in his cruiser a half block down. He was looking at me and gave me the palm down kind of wiggle the hand which I interpreted as go ahead. No traffic had passed on the cross street for a couple of light cycles, so I went through the red light. I wasn't fully across the intersection when the LEO put his lights on and came after me. Gave me a ticket for going through the red. I fought the ticket and won with a statement from the city maint chief who varified that the light wouldn't trigger for a motorcycle.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

I've been running red lights for years. Discretion and a quick head check is all that's needed, not some law.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:18 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

It's legal in Ar.Most of the lights are timed anyway,I have been waiting for a few years to run one legaly,but not had the chance yet.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The technology it there to do it, the new intersections (left turn arrows) around here I don't have a problem with. It's the older ones that need to be replaced which isn't cheap.

I've read on several sites that the jiffy stand trick works. I haven't tried it myself.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

In any of the 50 states when the red will not change and you proceed with due care and receive a ticket, you have the one and only defense for knowingly breaking the law. It is the defense of impossibility. I was impossible for you to stay there so you may proceed.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:29 PM
killer scott
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure it is legal here... to the guy that said he wouldn't run it... What will you do? set up a tent and live there for a while? It would take a pretty douchie cop to ticket you for it anyway.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:11 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by killer scott
Pretty sure it is legal here... to the guy that said he wouldn't run it... What will you do? set up a tent and live there for a while? It would take a pretty douchie cop to ticket you for it anyway.
I agree. If the light malfunctions and it is malfunctioning if it won't change, then I suppose we are supposed to take a vacation waiting for it to do want it won't do. Break the light when it is safe and if you do get a ticket ask the Judge if he wants to pay for your vacation.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:52 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I have to be at work at 2:30 am, two mornings every week. There are two traffic lights that will not trip for a motorcycle. A long time ago I quit trying and now I just make a "legal" right turn on red and then a "legal" U-Turn to continue on my way. Done it in front of a cop twice now and no problems. In fact, the last one smiled and gave me a thumbs up as I went by.

Quick Reply: running stale red lights soon to be legal