General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to SERT or not to SERT (or SERF!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:13 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default to SERT or not to SERT (or SERF!)

Just got off the phone with my dealer's service manager. I had originally brought the bike in for stage one modification AND the installation of a SERT. When I picked up the bike, I noticed that there was no SERT on my bill. Service manager tells me that unless I plan on track racing, I don't need a SERT. He further tells me that the modifications I had done to the bike were all I needed for road riding. Finally, he told me that, after SERT modifications, my bike would no longer be street legal. He seemed to think that he was doing me a favor saying he was "saving [me] $450.00 plus labor for something [I] don't need."

Well now, I've read the tech threads in this forum for a while and thought I knew what I wanted. I know I'll never race this bike. It will always be a street bike. I just want the most performance out of my bike that I can get and the option to tweak things around every now and then just to keep things interesting.

Am I a dingus for wanting a SERT? Am I a dingus for listening to the service manager's tripe? Am I a dingus for even considering using these folks to service my bike in the future?

Well folks, lets have at it. The good, the bad, and the ugly!

Old 04-24-2006, 06:51 PM
lapisblue
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: to SERT or not to SERT

a

Old 04-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Loch
Tourer

I’m also considering a SERT. It seems there are not many tuners out there that are proficient with the SERT. If the rumors of it being on the pending obsolescence list are true then a few years down the road there will probably be no one that can tune one. I like the idea that it reprograms the ECM and is not one more thing that can fail. But with so many people running Power Commanders it seems that might be a better choice. Well maybe even just a DFO type of product might be all one needs.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:18 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll give ya the straight scoop on the SERT, no BS.

The sert is just a tool that gives you the adjustability capability that we 'used' to have on our cars and bikes (and many more features) before the days of computers and fuel injection. You can buy it discounted online for $369 at many places. If you have ever set a timing curve yourself on a Chevy V8 or a Shovel head, You'll like the sert. If you have ever jetted a Holly 3310 4 Barrel, Rochester quad, Carter AFB, Mikuni, Keihin CV or Amal concentric carb, You'll love the sert. Ever have to over compensate on the main jet for a needle with not enough taper just to eliminate an annoying lean surge at 3500 RPM's only to make WOT too rich? You'll love the sert. Answer yes to most or all of those questions and you may want to consider buying one.

Bottom line is all of those jets, air screws, timing weights, springs and needles are now adjusted through an electronic interface. Freakin' RACING your bike has nothing to do with it. Control of your own bikes tune does IF you or somebody you know has the knowlege to tune it in the first place which, by the way, is in clear black and white text in the manual that comes with the thing. This is not some voodoo. The principals remain, the tuning interface changes. Pretty simple and to the point, right?

You can adjust (optimize) a stock bike for better performance, economy and driveability the exact way you would tune a highly modded big bore bike or simple stage one bolt on's. Same principals appily but you still need the tools to do it and they 'aint comming with the bike any more.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dadofsix

Just got off the phone with my dealer's service manager. I had originally brought the bike in for stage one modification AND the installation of a SERT. When I picked up the bike, I noticed that there was no SERT on my bill. Service manager tells me that unless I plan on track racing, I don't need a SERT. He further tells me that the modifications I had done to the bike were all I needed for road riding. Finally, he told me that, after SERT modifications, my bike would no longer be street legal. He seemed to think that he was doing me a favor saying he was "saving [me] $450.00 plus labor for something [I] don't need."

Well now, I've read the tech threads in this forum for a while and thought I knew what I wanted. I know I'll never race this bike. It will always be a street bike. I just want the most performance out of my bike that I can get and the option to tweak things around every now and then just to keep things interesting.

Am I a dingus for wanting a SERT? Am I a dingus for listening to the service manager's tripe? Am I a dingus for even considering using these folks to service my bike in the future?

Well folks, lets have at it. The good, the bad, and the ugly!
Total BS. First of all you don't install the SERT and leave it on the bike. It is only the interface between the laptop computer and the ECM on your bike and is removed after installing a map and tweaking it or Dyno tuning it. It is also married to your bike after it's used the first time and can't be used on any other bike. You then take the SERT home with you and bring it to the dealer anytime something needs to be changed or to someone who knows how to use the SERT. You also get to look at it and say, I can't believe I paid $400 for that little black box a couple of cables and a CD.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SERT good...your service manager is a dutz

Old 04-24-2006, 11:39 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update. Now it seems that they didn't have a SERT available at the time. They didn't want to hold me up since they had had my bike parked in a corner for two weeks (in fairness to them, 5 days of that was waiting for my parts). Time to look for a new dealer for service? I don't want to burn any bridges here b/c there is only 1 other dealer w/in 150 miles of me. But d@mn, I wish they'd treat me like I am a semi-intelligent person instead of a local yokel![:@]

Old 04-24-2006, 11:43 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're only hope is to educate yourself and call 'em on it. I call 'em out every chance I get and have been doing that for years. It will eventually earn some respect.

Most of the dealers and indy shops are all the same. They got one hand in your wallet and one foot in bull$hit.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:10 AM
PipeDADDY
Road Captain

Why not consider a power commander. You can get them for 100 bucks less...you can re sell them. You can download hundreds of maps...or you can get hundreds more for free from your local dyno shop. The dyno 250 hooks straight into the USB port and makes the map as they tune. I am not real sure why SERT over PCIII. The guys that make the Dyno...make the PCIII.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:59 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: fl_799

I'll give ya the straight scoop on the SERT, no BS.

The sert is just a tool that gives you the adjustability capability that we 'used' to have on our cars and bikes (and many more features) before the days of computers and fuel injection. You can buy it discounted online for $369 at many places. If you have ever set a timing curve yourself on a Chevy V8 or a Shovel head, You'll like the sert. If you have ever jetted a Holly 3310 4 Barrel, Rochester quad, Carter AFB, Mikuni, Keihin CV or Amal concentric carb, You'll love the sert. Ever have to over compensate on the main jet for a needle with not enough taper just to eliminate an annoying lean surge at 3500 RPM's only to make WOT too rich? You'll love the sert. Answer yes to most or all of those questions and you may want to consider buying one.

Bottom line is all of those jets, air screws, timing weights, springs and needles are now adjusted through an electronic interface. Freakin' RACING your bike has nothing to do with it. Control of your own bikes tune does IF you or somebody you know has the knowlege to tune it in the first place which, by the way, is in clear black and white text in the manual that comes with the thing. This is not some voodoo. The principals remain, the tuning interface changes. Pretty simple and to the point, right?

You can adjust (optimize) a stock bike for better performance, economy and driveability the exact way you would tune a highly modded big bore bike or simple stage one bolt on's. Same principals appily but you still need the tools to do it and they 'aint comming with the bike any more.

This is NO B.S.......great advice....find an experienced wrench that can dyno your bike and get the SERT...you won't be sorry. Talk to other dealers and maybe some local indy shops who have been around. They will get you hooked up and it's worth the $$

Quick Reply: to SERT or not to SERT (or SERF!)