General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to SERT or not to SERT (or SERF!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 03:38 PM
dadofsix
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: to SERT or not to SERT (or SERF!)

O.K. We have a new wrinkle.

Talked for almost 30 minutes on the phone with a service tech at the other dealership. He seems to be a decent fellow -- my "BS detector" never went off. His take on the situation is that, unless I am planning on major modifications to the bike (like taking it up to 105), the other dealer is right -- I don't need a SERT. He says the reason I am getting the popping and backfiring on decell is that the maps they use on Stage One are for Screaming Eagle pipes. He says all a tech can do is guess when doing a Stage One with other pipes (I am paraphrasing now, not quoting).

He suggests, rather than using a SERT, that I go with a SERF (screaming eagle race fueler) for about $150.00 less. Then I can dyno the bike and get it tuned the way I want it.

So now, a SERF? Does he actually know his stuff or is my BS detector on the fritz?

Old 04-25-2006, 07:41 PM
Oleman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: to SERT or not to SERT (or SERF!)

I debated on SERT as well as Fueler. I only have pipes and air filter changes so far. After reading a bunch and talking to several people I am going with SERT this Friday. Price only a couple hindred dollars difference. Then when I make other changes which I will end up doing I do not have to spend more cash to make another change to get bike right.