General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective Gear or Firearm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:08 AM
mcrider1
|
Road Warrior
Default Protective Gear or Firearm?

After reading all the post's in the thread, "What weapon do you carry?" and all the answers of it's better to have it if you need it than not. Which is true if you need the gun in a bad situation.
What about helmets and protective gear, don't you guys feel that it's better to have a helmet and not need it than to not have a helmet when you need it?
Which do you think is more likely to protect you on your motorcycle, a gun or protective gear? Oh, and I'm not against guns, I love them. I just don't understand the folks that think they are going to need their gun on the bike before they will need protective gear. And why do some of you guys think that people who wear all the gear are scared of crashing and should just drive their car? Couldn't the same be said about carrying a gun, if your that scared, why not just stay home?
I'm not saying that you shouldn't carry, I think everyone should be able to make that decision themselves. I'm asking what kills more motorcyclist's, guns or crashing without protective gear on? Shouldn't we all be prepared?
OK, flame away!

The following users liked this post:
DuciDay (09-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2009 | 08:14 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

I generally wear a full face and a jacket with armor, especially for road trips. But I do like a lazy afternoon ride around the valley with no helmet from time to time.

No one's pulled a gun on me out there, yet, but there is a lot of gravel/loose dirt/rocks on these country roads, and in the mountains sudden rain/snowstorms come up all the time. Armor and a full face make sense. We have no helmet law in Montana, so this is a matter of rider's choice.

Maybe I should just try shooting at at the road gravel or the storm clouds instead

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:18 AM
Jambon1
Tourer

Originally Posted by mcrider1
And why do some of you guys think that people who wear all the gear are scared of crashing and should just drive their car? Couldn't the same be said about carrying a gun, if your that scared, why not just stay home?
Staying at home does not guarantee you will not need your gun. I've had trespassers on my property both in the city (Tampa, FL) and out in the country (Louisiana). I've had someone break into my house in Tampa on two occasions and break into my barn in Louisiana once that I know of.

By the way I carry and wear a helmet. What's the problem?

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:22 AM
sportster/dyna
Cruiser

Freedom of choice in the Land of the Free. That should be understood by all Americans, but I fear it is not. It is not understood in Canada.

DuciDay (09-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2009 | 08:29 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I've found that a really ugly snarl, a mad-dog drool and barking at problems will make them move back. Alas... that's just the way I appear anyway!

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:33 AM
mcrider1
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Jambon1
Staying at home does not guarantee you will not need your gun. I've had trespassers on my property both in the city (Tampa, FL) and out in the country (Louisiana). I've had someone break into my house in Tampa on two occasions and break into my barn in Louisiana once that I know of.

By the way I carry and wear a helmet. What's the problem?
I have no problem. I just don't understand how some folks say that you should always be prepared and then they get on their bike with nothing but jeans and a t-shirt.
You are much more likely to die in a crash on your bike than you are getting shot on your bike. I'm just sayin'.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:37 AM
psyco1
Road Master

Carry if you want, IMO you're probably more likely to get busted with a loaded weapon if you don't have a CCW than need it for protection and much more likely to just be able to out ride any threat on the road.

DuciDay (09-03-2024)
Old 03-03-2009 | 08:38 AM
alto
Cruiser

I carry. I'm not scared, I'm prepared. I also wear atgatt for the same reasons. Both work for me and I don't really care what works for others or what they think about my choices.
I don't anticipate trouble..never caused any..ever. Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is my intent to pursue and protect all three as much as I can.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:43 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

As always;

"Let Those That Ride Decide"

That's all I have to say, and it should cover all of today's Fashion, Firearms, or Helmets threads.....

BTW, we haven't had a 'Whats A Real Biker' thread in a few days, or maybe I just missed it.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:54 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by mcrider1
After reading all the post's in the thread, "What weapon do you carry?" and all the answers of it's better to have it if you need it than not. Which is true if you need the gun in a bad situation.
What about helmets and protective gear, don't you guys feel that it's better to have a helmet and not need it than to not have a helmet when you need it?
Which do you think is more likely to protect you on your motorcycle, a gun or protective gear? Oh, and I'm not against guns, I love them. I just don't understand the folks that think they are going to need their gun on the bike before they will need protective gear. And why do some of you guys think that people who wear all the gear are scared of crashing and should just drive their car? Couldn't the same be said about carrying a gun, if your that scared, why not just stay home?
I'm not saying that you shouldn't carry, I think everyone should be able to make that decision themselves. I'm asking what kills more motorcyclist's, guns or crashing without protective gear on? Shouldn't we all be prepared?
OK, flame away!
You needed to start a separate thread for this same crap? Wow.

Quick Reply: Protective Gear or Firearm?