General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective Gear or Firearm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:48 PM
donr101395
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by pottsy
If you carry, legally or not, I really don't give a rat's behind. Your choice.

Don't wear a helmet, legally or not, I don't care. Should be your choice.

Wanna wear your pistol on your head and strap your helmet to your waist, if your state allows it, knock yourself out.

Damn I sure get tired of people imposing their beliefs, which are typically just uneducated opinions, on me.

That about sums it up for me.

BTW: I've needed my CCW one time in 21 years and never needed my helmet in 26 years but I still ride with both.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:28 PM
TXK9
Intermediate

Good Point. I always felt, "to each his own". I do understand what your saying, but some people buy bikes to feel more "macho" and "manly". The gun thing just fits into that stero type. I see so many people trying so hard to fit into the "biker" life style and wear the right clothes. Im guilty of it to, on some level. The only real deal biker I know is a Assistant Principal I know who drives a old BMW everyday I have known him. This guy drives that thing everywhere. This guys does not approach people and talk about bikes, he just rides one... everwhere. But on the other hand, whatever makes you happy.. do it. Life is short and like I said in the begining, "to each his own".

Old 03-04-2009 | 01:11 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

My preparation is self determined. It is open for discussion but it is ultimately my choice and no one else really matters. I carry when I want. I wear what I want. Too many people on here let their egos get in the way of their limited intelligence by thinking that their position or opinions carry weight when it comes to my actions as a citizen or rider. Simple translation---I hear you but sometimes I just ain't feeling it. General answer and not directed at you personally.
Originally Posted by mcrider1
After reading all the post's in the thread, "What weapon do you carry?" and all the answers of it's better to have it if you need it than not. Which is true if you need the gun in a bad situation.
What about helmets and protective gear, don't you guys feel that it's better to have a helmet and not need it than to not have a helmet when you need it?
Which do you think is more likely to protect you on your motorcycle, a gun or protective gear? Oh, and I'm not against guns, I love them. I just don't understand the folks that think they are going to need their gun on the bike before they will need protective gear. And why do some of you guys think that people who wear all the gear are scared of crashing and should just drive their car? Couldn't the same be said about carrying a gun, if your that scared, why not just stay home?
I'm not saying that you shouldn't carry, I think everyone should be able to make that decision themselves. I'm asking what kills more motorcyclist's, guns or crashing without protective gear on? Shouldn't we all be prepared?
OK, flame away!

Last edited by oldairboater; 03-04-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2009 | 06:23 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

Gonna be in the 70s here today. Shut up and ride!

Old 03-04-2009 | 07:12 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
Gonna be in the 70s here today. Shut up and ride!
Hear, hear!

(well, it's 26° here now, but it'll hit 45° this afternoon. I'm riding anyway )

Old 03-04-2009 | 07:30 AM
BobStreetBob
Outstanding HDF Member

Seems like every time I see mcrider's name in a thread he's pushing the safety issues...
Personal weapons protection and riding safety protection are two totally different things. Apples and oranges. He just keeps harping on the same crap on every thread.
Read my avatar mcrider.... You do what's right for you. We're grown men and women..we can dress ourselves..and we can arm ourselves. Have fun in your plastic bubble.

Old 03-04-2009 | 07:49 AM
pottsy
Road Master

Originally Posted by BobStreetBob
Seems like every time I see mcrider's name in a thread he's pushing the safety issues...
Personal weapons protection and riding safety protection are two totally different things. Apples and oranges. He just keeps harping on the same crap on every thread.
Read my avatar mcrider.... You do what's right for you. We're grown men and women..we can dress ourselves..and we can arm ourselves. Have fun in your plastic bubble.
More like apples and bricks. The 2 aren't even remotely related.