General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective Gear or Firearm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 02:49 PM
pottsy
Road Master

If you carry, legally or not, I really don't give a rat's behind. Your choice.

Don't wear a helmet, legally or not, I don't care. Should be your choice.

Wanna wear your pistol on your head and strap your helmet to your waist, if your state allows it, knock yourself out.

Damn I sure get tired of people imposing their beliefs, which are typically just uneducated opinions, on me.

At the end of the day, what you do, ain't my problem, unless you try and make it my problem and then I'll head butt you with my helmet and bust a cap in ya. Just sayin'.

Old 03-03-2009 | 02:55 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I'm asking what kills more motorcyclist's, guns or crashing without protective gear on?
OK, flame away!
Ok, will somebody explain to me how riding gear and carrying are related? WTF?

Old 03-03-2009 | 03:03 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

You're right the odds of a crash getting you are about 1000x's greater than needing a pistol. Always prepare for the worst and hope or the best. It's on par with riding without insurance "cuz hey I havent had a crash in 10 yrs" I wont need it for a 5 minute ride today.

I wear good gear but not to the point of being a power ranger - FF most of the time, Fox Creek jacket, leather lined riding jeans and good boots/gloves.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable with and enjoy the ride is what it's all about. There's risk in everything in life so you make your own decisions.

Last edited by Arizona; 03-03-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2009 | 03:38 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

I didn't know that you could legally carry in a bank? Maybe you should take a CCW refresher course?
And, my question was, which will likely protect you more riding your bike?
Of course you didn't know. Maybe you should do a little more research. Unless there's a sign or someone asks me to leave, I can carry in a bank.

Old 03-03-2009 | 03:49 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

if yer scart stay the fug home,,!

Old 03-03-2009 | 04:49 PM
Noodles
Cruiser

I wear the gear when riding,wear the gun everywhere.

Old 03-03-2009 | 05:29 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I have no problem. I just don't understand how some folks say that you should always be prepared and then they get on their bike with nothing but jeans and a t-shirt.
You are much more likely to die in a crash on your bike than you are getting shot on your bike. I'm just sayin'.
Well if you looks at the stats, there were about 50,000 motorcycle accidents last year. There were 1,300,000 incidents involving assault, rape, theft, battery, etc.......

Old 03-03-2009 | 05:33 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I didn't know that you could legally carry in a bank? Maybe you should take a CCW refresher course?
And, my question was, which will likely protect you more riding your bike?
It's perfectly legal to carry in a bank in Arizona. Other states I don't know at this time, but if I were travelling to a different state, I'd take the time to learn the laws of the state(s) in question. The only places you can't carry are federal buildings, schools, and places that serve alcohol. Other places are pretty much open (there are some restrictions), unless they clearly post a sign saying no weapons.

Old 03-03-2009 | 05:47 PM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member

Apples and oranges

Old 03-03-2009 | 05:47 PM
frankjake
Road Master

In my 50 years of being on this earth I've never had the need to pull a gun on anyone. Most people who carry guns do so for many reasons. Some feel it will protect them. Some do it because they can. What I mean is, it's legal in some places, so why not take advantage of it. Some people carry a gun because they are looking for trouble. No matter what the reason, unless you are prepared to use it, it's worthless.

If someone wanted to kill you, they would. It wouldn't matter if you were carrying a gun or not. By the time anyone could get their gun out of their pocket, they'd be shot and dead. And that's the reality.

If somone pulled a gun on me, demanding my motorcycle, car, money, rolex watch or whatever, do you really think I'm going to shoot him with my gun and go to jail? I have insuracne for those things and it's not worth all the trouble I'd be in for shooting someone. And unfortunitly in our country, in most states, unless the other person in inside your house, you don't have a legal reason or cause to shoot someone, no matter if they are robbing your or not. Of course this varies from state to state, but no matter, to me it wouldn't be worth the time and money to defend myself. And for the record, I am NOT against guns at all. I am totally the opposite.

As far as protective gear.... you bring up a really good point. But I think every rider should have the CHOICE to wear or not wear what they want. Mainly talking about helmets here.

I wear a full face because in my state it's the law to wear a helmet. Smaller helmets don't keep the wind out of my eyes. Now when I ride in other states that don't have a helmet law, I will take it off and wear full goggles to keep wind out of my eyes. (I have eye problems).

One last note, I was wearing my full face with I had my recent accident and when my head hit the back of the car, I was so glad I was wearing it. It hit so hard it cracked the helmet. I would hate to think what would have happened if I didn't have a helme on at all. Sometimes all it takes is a personal experience to change a person's mind. I think I'll wear my helmet from now on.

Quick Reply: Protective Gear or Firearm?