General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Protective Gear or Firearm?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:56 AM
Jambon1
Tourer

Originally Posted by psyco1
Carry if you want, IMO you're probably more likely to get busted with a loaded weapon if you don't have a CCW than need it for protection and much more likely to just be able to out ride any threat on the road.
I don't advocate carrying a weapon illegally. I DO have CCW license and follow the laws of the states in which I travel. I also do not LOOK for trouble. If I can avoid it, I do. You can't "out ride" trouble if you are parked some where and not at your scooter. I carry no matter what I may be riding/driving. Again this is a personal choice and a right that I choose to exercise legally. If you choose not to carry then so be it. I don't hold it against you as you shouldn't hold it against anyone who legally exercises this right.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:56 AM
mcrider1
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Eyespy
You needed to start a separate thread for this same crap? Wow.
Your reading it?

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:00 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior

I can see this one going 'downhill' quickly.

I will not comment on the the 'carry' part of your thread...but will on the helmet thing. My reason...I feel the two issues have nothing to do with each other. While I understand your thoughts & explanation...we already have a thread about carrying..and it turned into a mess.

So - the state I live in has a helmet law..and I wear a NON-DOT approved lid. Yes, I run the risk of being ticketed for that...and understand the risks that are associated with wearing a helmet that does not provide protection.

I do have full-face helmets on the shelf from back in my 'sport bike' days...but they typically just sit there collecting dust now.

That said, I cannot give what I consider a valid reason for my choice. It's just the decision I make. Part is due to the fact that I don't think there should be helmet laws...and (being honest) part is because I really don't like the looks of the DOT approved offerings.

May sound kinda silly. But thats the way it is.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:12 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by mcrider1
Your reading it?
Yeah, I'm reading the other one that covers the same **** stirring comments too. Why split it up into 2 threads on the same crap like you did? What was the point of that?

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:18 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

What protective gear does a gun need? Do they make condoms or raincoats for them? About all I do is usually put some oil on my gun to protect if if I plan on riding in the rain.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:18 AM
mcrider1
|
Road Warrior

My question is not should you carry or not. My question is, which is more likely to protect you on your bike. A gun or a helmet?

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:25 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Originally Posted by mcrider1
My question is not should you carry or not. My question is, which is more likely to protect you on your bike. A gun or a helmet?
Ok, I feel I can answer this for you and settle the confusion. A helmet is more likely to protect you while on your bike, for example, from the elements, from kicked up pebbles, from bug hits on your noggin, and from impact should you bin it. A gun is more likely to provide for an effective weapon against a would be assailant once you get off the bike, or are going back to it, or getting out of your car, or walking through the neighborhood, or the mall, or in the bank. Use the right tool for the right job. Helmets and concealed sidearms serve two different purposes, as if that weren't self evident.

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:35 AM
mcrider1
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Eyespy
Ok, I feel I can answer this for you and settle the confusion. A helmet is more likely to protect you while on your bike, for example, from the elements, from kicked up pebbles, from bug hits on your noggin, and from impact should you bin it. A gun is more likely to provide for an effective weapon against a would be assailant once you get off the bike, or are going back to it, or getting out of your car, or walking through the neighborhood, or the mall, or in the bank. Use the right tool for the right job. Helmets and concealed sidearms serve two different purposes, as if that weren't self evident.
I didn't know that you could legally carry in a bank? Maybe you should take a CCW refresher course?
And, my question was, which will likely protect you more riding your bike?

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:36 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

MC,

You already know the answer. Why ask the question?

Old 03-03-2009 | 09:40 AM
mcrider1
|
Road Warrior

You're right XXX, I do know the answer.

Quick Reply: Protective Gear or Firearm?