Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
waterproof
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softail deluxe vs. road king

i just sold my sporty. and since last year i was lookin to pick up a softail deluxe ('06 or later). but i reide almost every day for the 4 months that we have nice weather, so i need a functional bike. i started thinking about adding minimal bags to the deluxe, then it got me thinkin about a road king classic. can anyone stear me in either direction. im still a young guy so image is important. the major downside i seem to get about the road king is the riding position. please feel free to give me some ideas.
thanks

Old 03-02-2009, 07:08 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just about anything you get will be a considerable step up from the Sporty for you. Also, just about every bike will benefit from some customization to fit you so don't let that bother you. I would recommend that you test ride both or get a one day rental and spend half a day on one then half on the other if that's possible. It's a big investment jump so be sure to get what you are really looking for. Both bikes are great. I have a Deluxe but would have no problem with a Road King either.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

step up to the king...

Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjmac53
step up to the king...
RK is a great ride. it all depends on what you like though as they are both great bikes. Teh RK has external shocks which gives it a better ride than the soft tail but other than that, both nice bikes.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM
ridgerunner
Tourer

I think the Delux is a great looking bike......until you put bags on it. If you need bags get a bagger.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waterproof
the major downside i seem to get about the road king is the riding position.
I felt the same way. I rented a Road King, nice bike, just wasn't for me. Then I rented the Heritage and knew that it was the bike for me. Best bet is to find a dealer that provides rentals and rent them both. Put as many miles on them as you can for the rental time.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:00 PM
GEESE
Cruiser
Default Ahh decisions

Either bike is a great choice...I was down to one or the other, but since I was buying used...I came across a deal too good to pass up and haven't looked back since!

GEESE

Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you like the Deluxe, but want the practicality of bags, and are not sure of the very upright position of a Touring bike............

....the natural choice (as suggested above) is a Heritage. It is the bike most similar to the Deluxe but comes with bags, a sissy bar, and a windshield--all of which are removable, at which point it looks very much like a Deluxe.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you want something Wing like, get the RK. If you wanna ride something not as monstrous, get the Softail.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

I like both. The Deluxe fit me much better though. And I love the bags. Give both a test ride and get what you like.

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king