Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by chordstrummer
Liking my Deluxe with the bags on, too. They haven't been off the bike since I got them.
Hot lookin' bike - bags too! Are they roomy?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:53 PM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

From someone who had an 06 Deluxe, get the road king.

The deluxe is beautiful, but not the best for riding a lot in my opinion. I needed something bigger.

Went with the Street Glide in the end after going to the dealership with my mind set on an RKC. Just feel better, but I do miss the nostalgic look.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:07 AM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sleeko Deluxe
Hot lookin' bike - bags too! Are they roomy?
Thanks. They're not that big, really. I can stuff my leather jacket, big gloves, and a ball cap in one.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:06 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

About the same here. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:49 PM
09B29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tda69
Comparing the two is like and apple to an orange. Having said that, they are the two that you like so it comes down to which would you like better. While I also like the looks of the Deluxe, a Road King would be more suited for your riding needs. The Road King is a much better Touring bike and it's designed for all day riding comfort, comes with locking saddlebags, air adjustable rear shocks and optional electronic cruise control. Do yourself a favor, buy the Road King and forget about the Deluxe. As far as looks and being young is concerned....I'm 39 and this is my second Ultra Classic (the first was a 2003). Does that tell you anything? Nothing...I repeat NOTHING beats a Touring bike for comfort and function.
I couldnt agree more

Old 08-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Rhode King
Intermediate
Default Lowering mods...

Originally Posted by monstead
When you rent, just be aware you are renting a stock bike. It's unlikely you'll end up keeping your bike that way. If I'd rented first, I'd have ended up with a Deluxe or Heritage for sure because stock, they just fit me better than the RK. For that reason, if I ever do a Fly and Ride, I plan on renting a Heritage.

When I bought my bike, I was fresh out of Rider's Edge and didn't trust myself enough to test ride anything. All I had to go on was what the bike felt like in the showroom and what kind of riding I thought I was going to do. Once it came down to buying, I figured I'd want to do some touring and stepped up the the RKC and took it on faith I could get it to 'fit' me like I wanted. With new bars, after-market seat and lowering kit, it fits me like a dream. I love it & have no regrets!

That being said, had I ended up with the Heritage or Deluxe or Fatboy or whatever, I'm sure I would have fallen in love as well. Perhaps, though, I would have traded up to a Touring bike after a couple of years. I have no intention on trading out of my King anytime soon! Whatever you get, I'm sure you're going to be as passionate about it as each of us is about our current ride.
Question for you...I've had my 09 RKC for about a month and definitely want to lower it. What did you put on for bars and seat? What lowering kit did you use? Are you having any problems with scraping the floorboards? Thanks!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 AM
cogener8
Road Captain
Default One more Thing

In 07 I was facing the same exact choice. The deluxe seemed to feel real sweet just sitting on it compared to the King. At that time there were a lot of people on the forum saying that a taller rider ( six foot plus )soon feels cramped on long rides. For that reason only I went with the king.It does sit higher and I have friends that have sat on my bike and end up balancing on their toes. Not the best thing with that heavy a bike. I would take the hight thing into consideration. By the way I love the ride the RKC gives and it's the best handling bike I've ever rode (I have'nt rode that many bikes).

Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buck Naked
I've had an '07 Fatboy, which I traded for an '09 RKC with absolutely NO regrets. I think the person who said this said it best: You hear about people who go from a softail to a king all the time--you never hear about anyone going from a king to a softail...
Ill start by saying "I did!"
To the OP,
I started out on a 1200 custom sportster, so Ive been were you are now.
I traded for an electraglide classic, people kept telling me that for my size and riding 2 up I needed a touring bike.
Now the glide is basicly a roadking with a fairing.
Like you I didnt like the seating position and tried a different seat, didnt work.
I lowered my bike because I couldnt get my feet on the ground firmly.
The ride wasnt all that great to me, I felt every bump on the front end and at the end of even a short ride was exausted, but it was better then then sportster, ill admit that.
I put 7000 + miles on the electraglide in 5 months of riding when I had the chance, owned it for a year.
I just traded the electraglide for a heritage softail classic and couldnt be any more happy.
To me, and im gonna get flamed, the ride is better on the heritage.
Smoother ride, I dont feel the bumps I did on the glide.
Lower center of gravity, you are sitting in the bike as opposed to on it.
I weigh in at around 300 lbs. and with the wife and me on it I have had no problems with the susspension at all, and I havent turned up the shocks either.
We have rode on some roads that we used to ride the glide on that would just about break your back, and when we get to these bad places we braced for impact, so to speak, imagine mine and her surprize when it was a very minor feeling bump.
If you want the bags I say check out the heritage softail, like has been said you can remove the bags and the sissy bar and the windshied and you have a deluxe basicly, except the hadlebars are higher.
To the guys that will bash me over the heritage rides better then the touring bikes, thats my evaluation on it, you may feel different.
As was said before try the different bikes, you say you have some time on the deluxe so the heritage will be basicly the same, you need to try a roadking and see how it feels, and put some miles on it when you do, this is a lot of money we are talking about, ive already told you how I know!
Good luck in your decision, just make it an informed one!

I should have read further into this thread as I see someone said the op bought a deluxe.
Good luck to him on his new ride, though I see he wasnt the one that said he had purchased a bike on this thread.
Everybody ride safe! fireman9513

Last edited by fireman9513; 08-23-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Need to add something