Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
rlh7677
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default best bike

If you are of small to medium build and may have a passenger of same, buy the Heritage. If you are of large or tall build and have a passenger most of the time buy the King. Can't go wrong with either one except if you have too heavy of a load for the Heritage, Good Luck, Great decision to have to make !

Old 03-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Rockindaddy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position recently. Sold my Dyna and was torn between the Road King and the Heritage Softail. I liked the riding position and looks of the Heritage better, but heard that the RK was a smoother ride. Since I almost always ride 2 up, smooth was important. I rented both for 1/2 day each. Took the RK out first and really liked it. Just had to get used to the riding position a little, but a very smooth ride. Then took the Heritage out and didn't get more than a mile away before I knew I wanted the Road King. (Still road the Heritage for the 1/2 day!) I'm so glad I did this before buying. Ended up buying a Road King and mama loves it! (So do I!) Just rent them and see what you like.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:10 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockindaddy
I was in the same position recently. Sold my Dyna and was torn between the Road King and the Heritage Softail. I liked the riding position and looks of the Heritage better, but heard that the RK was a smoother ride. Since I almost always ride 2 up, smooth was important. I rented both for 1/2 day each. Took the RK out first and really liked it. Just had to get used to the riding position a little, but a very smooth ride. Then took the Heritage out and didn't get more than a mile away before I knew I wanted the Road King. (Still road the Heritage for the 1/2 day!) I'm so glad I did this before buying. Ended up buying a Road King and mama loves it! (So do I!) Just rent them and see what you like.
Congrats on both, your bike and that stunnin' looking gal of yours...

Mimo.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:19 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

I have a 2008 Street Bob and considering trading it in for a Deluxe-which in my eyes, is one of the best looking new bikes. What I'm getting from some of these dudes is that if you are overly concerned with looking macho, don't buy a Deluxe. If you don't need to overly assert your masculinity because of insecurities, you should be ok.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiskers
The trend I've noted here on this forum is that there are a lot of Softail owners who eventually traded to a Touring bike...including the Road King. Conversely, I've not heard of very many who went the other way. There's surely nothing wrong with either of your two choices...you'll have to test ride both. Personally, I really wanted a Fatboy until the Deluxe's were introduced. Friends talked me into testing a Road King Classic...and that is what I finally bought.
I have gone both ways. I went from a Low Rider to an Ultra to a Softail Custom to a Road King Custom.

To the OP. Since you are thinking of buying used you should consider a Road King Custom. Sits lower but rides like a tourer with a feel closer to a softail than the other tourers. My adult son has a Softail Deluxe and he put over 35k miles on it the first year. He loves it and rides it locally or touring. I did the same on my Softail Custom and continue the same on my FLHRS. They are all good.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:34 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Road King-I like the rubber mounted motor and bags. I you ride a lot try to get one with ABS.

I ride I-5 from Anaheim to Los Angeles and in traffic is perfect. If you don;t like the position change the bars and shave the seat.

Best of luck.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:47 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This one is easy.....

Sporty - girl's bike

Deluxe - chick's bike

Road King - Man's machine

j/k You guys must not realize the OP bought a Deluxe last mont????

Old 04-21-2009, 07:10 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
This one is easy.....

Sporty - girl's bike

Deluxe - chick's bike

Road King - Man's machine

j/k You guys must not realize the OP bought a Deluxe last mont????
Nooo, I did not know that. Suckered into posting on an irrelevant thread again. I shoulda gone riding.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:49 PM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I originaly went out to purchase a Deluxe, since i only needed a bike for around town, short rides and such. but came home with a FLHT. just could'nt justify a $4000 difference. considering cruise,Abs,Fairing,bags and crashbars all as standard.The other thing that kept going through my mind is the heat thrown fom the oil tank on my last heritage. with my bike lowered front and back with a reach seat i feel like i am in the bike more on the flht than the softail. but i am second guessing myself that maybe should have gone with a roadking instead considering i really dont need a fairing.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
78fxs78
Banned

Softails are comfortable for solo rider, not so much for two up long distance. Road king is better for touring, all depends on the type of riding you'll do in general.

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king