Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 PM
waterproof
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by billb7984
I had a 04 roadking,now a 07 softail deluxe,the roadking you sit on it ,the deluxe you sit down in it!!!!!!!!!!
yeah, that seems to be the concensus and for me the #1 con when making my decision

Old 03-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Softtail Deluxe
Road Captain

I like the seat height of the Deluxe . Seems to keep me in a comfortable position . That's a plus for me . I like the looks of the RK allot . Both bikes remind me of the old FL's from around 65 or so . I haven't ridden a RK , but I will sometime I guess . Even if I liked the RK better than my Deluxe . I would never get rid of her for another .

Attached Thumbnails softail deluxe vs. road king-my_bike_greatseal.jpg  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by fairplay
from everything i gathered from the moco, i thought they marketed the deluxe toward the female rider. awesome looking scoot but just thought it was more of a gals scoot.
Yeah, and I'm a Gal. Ain't I purty? LoL

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Dickf5187
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted this on a previous thread.

I have an 08 Road King Classic and an 07 Softail Deluxe so I can give you my personal side by side comparison.

The ride quality over bumps etcis surprisingly close. Slight edge to the FLHRC.

Slow speed handling goes to the FLHRC... the FLSTN tends to "flop" the front end. May be due to front end geometry differences. Although, in general the FLSTN feels more nimble probably because of weight and the feel of riding in the bike as opposed to on it.

Two up riding hands down the FLHRC. The seat configuration and size of the FLSTN seat isn't as passenger friendly. The FLHRC is like a sofa.

Overall riding position goes to the FLSTN. Except that I'm 6' and 195lb and I'm too close to the bars in stock form. Of course I'm to far away from the FLHRC bars in stock form.

Biggest complaint for each bike is the handlebars are too far away from the rider on the FLHRC and the back of the seat on the FLSTN is too fat and presses against my butt causing butt burn in about 50 miles. HD is supposed to have reach bars soon for the 08 and I've installed a Corbin on the FLSTN.

Styling is a toss up. Both bikes are the Pearl White/ Black scheme and I thing they are both very retro. Personal choice here.

Vibration advantage to the FLSTN with the balanced engine. At idle the FLHRC shakes enough to blur my vision!

If you want to take any long trips I think the FLHRC with the larger dimensions and storage is a better choice. Short trips either bike will do.

I find that if I'm going to take a ride much longer than 150 miles I usually ride the FLHRC. Short trips either will do but the FLSTN is fun to ride.

Hope this helps and either way you go you will have a blast. The "grin factor" is very high for both of these bikes.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyPT
Just about anything you get will be a considerable step up from the Sporty for you. Also, just about every bike will benefit from some customization to fit you so don't let that bother you. I would recommend that you test ride both or get a one day rental and spend half a day on one then half on the other if that's possible. It's a big investment jump so be sure to get what you are really looking for. Both bikes are great. I have a Deluxe but would have no problem with a Road King either.
Perfect advise. Rent em both, and ride em back to back. Then you'll know which one is right for you! Personally the rigid mounted motor, with the counterbalancers doesn't work for me (Softail Family). And I've had em both. If you're riding every day, and really putting some miles on it, get into the touring family. There's a ton of choices, and the suspension is much better for the everyday rider. It's also much better for your passenger(s) if that's an issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:04 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You're in a good position, you basically have a clean slate. You can buy any bike you want. Why limit your choices to the deluxe and the RK?? You should really consider the complete line and pick the best all round bike that suits your needs. It's what I did and I bought the Road Glide. It's a very nice machine and in my opinon is the only Harley to own. Loads of nice features and accessories, a very functional and efficient fairing, plus the Road Glide is the best looking model of the entire Harley line. There is my 2 centavos. carry on...

Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Ladies bike my azz. Lots of women ride Sporties but I wouldn't call it a gals bike.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:39 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted a Road King and ended up seduced by the lines of the Fat Boy, now it looks like a... Fat King or a Road Boy... If I had to get a first new bike again, IŽd get a Road King classic and load it with thou$and$ of aftermarket parts. The ride is more confortable in a tourer, specially for guys over 200 lbs.

Mimo.

Last edited by mimo; 03-11-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:40 PM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Horse
Ladies bike my azz. Lots of women ride Sporties but I wouldn't call it a gals bike.
Why not? LOL

Old 03-11-2009, 05:40 PM
dredy2g
Tourer

Here is a couple of pics of a bagless RK I think the look is hot but that just my .02

Attached Thumbnails softail deluxe vs. road king-bagless-rk.jpg   softail deluxe vs. road king-bagless-rk2.jpg  

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king