Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have and love my King but have ridden most Harleys and with the exception of the sportie, I would ride any of them on a 300 mile trip. I recently rode my 1st Road Glide and although it feels like you ride on top of it, it's an great ride. I think it just needs some apes and a lowering kit to be the perfect ride.

Last edited by cowboy1; 03-08-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2009, 12:42 PM
SaintBernardus
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If image is important, I'm surprised that you're looking at either one. Around here, lots of women ride the deluxe. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it is typecast as a girl's bike by some. The road king is nice, just not something I'd recommend for a young buck concerned about image.

Why aren't you looking at the fat bob, fat boy, or night train?

Old 03-08-2009, 02:02 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When you rent, just be aware you are renting a stock bike. It's unlikely you'll end up keeping your bike that way. If I'd rented first, I'd have ended up with a Deluxe or Heritage for sure because stock, they just fit me better than the RK. For that reason, if I ever do a Fly and Ride, I plan on renting a Heritage.

When I bought my bike, I was fresh out of Rider's Edge and didn't trust myself enough to test ride anything. All I had to go on was what the bike felt like in the showroom and what kind of riding I thought I was going to do. Once it came down to buying, I figured I'd want to do some touring and stepped up the the RKC and took it on faith I could get it to 'fit' me like I wanted. With new bars, after-market seat and lowering kit, it fits me like a dream. I love it & have no regrets!

That being said, had I ended up with the Heritage or Deluxe or Fatboy or whatever, I'm sure I would have fallen in love as well. Perhaps, though, I would have traded up to a Touring bike after a couple of years. I have no intention on trading out of my King anytime soon! Whatever you get, I'm sure you're going to be as passionate about it as each of us is about our current ride.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
bigjames19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned a couple of sporties, a wide glide a fatboy and 2 roadkings, and I LOVE all of them! Sold all during the past 4 years and kept my latest an 07 king. The roadking is the best of all IMO because it rides great and handles awesome. I put on apes lowered the rear with 11 1/2" shocks and once you remove the shield its a badazz bar hopper!

Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a Road King and liked it. I bought it because it was highly recomended by others and my wife prefered it. I ended up getting rid of it and now own a Dyna. I love the front en on the RK but I wanted to run without bags and it didn't look right. I didn't tour enough to keep it. You definately have a tough decision to make, good luck.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:01 AM
arthur
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Had a Deluxe. Most beautiful bike I have ever seen. Loved the look. After the first week I realized I wish I had gotten the road king. I like to ride.... a lot. Trips weekends whatever. The Deluxe was not cuttin it, especially two-up. Scrapped the foot boards all the time, solo or with the wife. Never would have thought a touring model would have handled better.

Didn't like the feeling of the Road King either and ended up with a street glide, for several reasons including the fairing for longer trips. If that is not your thing or just don't like it then I recommend the Road King classic with lower profile shocks. Will sit you more 'in' the bike and rid you of that 'riding a telephone pole' feeling some have reported.

Still will have the nostalgic look. Good idea to demo or even rent first. Wish I had, but was over seas and sealed my first deal via email so the bike would be ready when I got back to the States.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:44 AM
waterproof
6th Gear

Originally Posted by SaintBernardus
If image is important, I'm surprised that you're looking at either one. Around here, lots of women ride the deluxe. Nothing wrong with that of course, but it is typecast as a girl's bike by some. The road king is nice, just not something I'd recommend for a young buck concerned about image.

Why aren't you looking at the fat bob, fat boy, or night train?

like white walls and big fenders and all that old school stuff

Old 03-10-2009, 12:51 AM
waterproof
6th Gear

thanks to all u guys for the input. i figure with either i'll have a solid bike, guess it comes down to the breakdown of everyday riding/barhopping and the longer rides. then again anything beats riding 3,000 miles on a sporty (yeah jersey to sand diego in 4 days).

Old 03-10-2009, 01:00 AM
fairplay
Road Master

from everything i gathered from the moco, i thought they marketed the deluxe toward the female rider. awesome looking scoot but just thought it was more of a gals scoot.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:23 PM
billb7984
Advanced

I had a 04 roadking,now a 07 softail deluxe,the roadking you sit on it ,the deluxe you sit down in it!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king