Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:34 AM
1Coastie
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the RK, the Deluxe is a girl bike...........................J/K Sorry I couldn't resist. Both are great bikes. I would first look at the type of riding you do, If you spend allot of time touring, then I would opt for the king, if you spend most of your time around town I would jump on the Deluxe or Heritage. Both of the smaller bikes make adequate touring bikes, for occasional cross country treks. I would say if you go on more than one long (1000 mile+) trip a year, you would be happier with the RK JMHO.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by travroc
I felt the same way. I rented a Road King, nice bike, just wasn't for me. Then I rented the Heritage and knew that it was the bike for me. Best bet is to find a dealer that provides rentals and rent them both. Put as many miles on them as you can for the rental time.
Yep, rent them, you will like one better than the other. Not even close to the same critters.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:00 AM
cowboy1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RK and recently got rid of my 03 softie and my chopper as well. The RK has significant motor work done, apes, all the chrome bullsh&t and a removable fairing. If I am gonna ride round town, etc I have a sweet ride but if Mama and I are going on a day ride or more, we clip on the old fairing and it rides like a Streetglide. To me it's the best of both worlds and although I miss riding that rigid power machine and my softie (pro-streeted) once in a while, I'm glad I only have one bike to upkeep for now.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM
08HSTC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ridden both styles. I own a Heritage, my buddy, a Road King. I really didn't notice that much difference in the ride but the handlebars, made all the difference in my comfort. As stated by some of the others on this thread, anything can be changed. I've only changed the seat on the Heritage so far, and that was for "Momma's" sake. Ride 'em both and figure out what suits you best. That's the only way to go!!

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
ranger56528
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Deluxe is nice,being how I have 2 baggers I bought a 06 Deluxe for solo riding and have no regrets.....You need to find what fits you and your needs.....

Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
rkcvince
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the RK. If you want somthing that doesn't look quite so old school, look at the RK Custom. HD quit making them in 07 though, so you'd have to get a used one. It's a much cleaner looking bike without all of the chrome. This isn't my bike, just a picture I found on the net.

Last edited by rkcvince; 03-03-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:52 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Comparing the two is like and apple to an orange. Having said that, they are the two that you like so it comes down to which would you like better. While I also like the looks of the Deluxe, a Road King would be more suited for your riding needs. The Road King is a much better Touring bike and it's designed for all day riding comfort, comes with locking saddlebags, air adjustable rear shocks and optional electronic cruise control. Do yourself a favor, buy the Road King and forget about the Deluxe. As far as looks and being young is concerned....I'm 39 and this is my second Ultra Classic (the first was a 2003). Does that tell you anything? Nothing...I repeat NOTHING beats a Touring bike for comfort and function.

Last edited by tda69; 03-04-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never ridden a Softail but they don't call it Road King for nothing.

You can always remove floorboards and put forward controls on a Road King. You'd have something only a few people would be riding.

Oh, and some people upgrade the Road King handlebars to Heritage handlebars. Personal preference.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 AM
AK47
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have driven both and I prefer the RK for long trips. Something about the road king that i absolutely love over any other HD for highway riding, mind you I have never tried out the electraglide or any other full fairing harleys yet.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:18 AM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which ride?

How much comfort does one need? I had an 03 softail standard that I added a wide solo/passenger seat to. My wife and I rode all over creation on it, no problems. I now own the Deluxe because in my opinion it's the best looking bike Harley produces. It offers the best of both worlds (style and comfort) for short or long hauls. Get the Deluxe. By the way, if your a short guy like me, it's a no brainer for sure.

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king