General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:18 AM
1hvymtlmvr
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default deluxe

I had an 08 deluxe and traded for an09 RK.I really liked the deluxe.The main drawback was the bags,but for some $i could have made it like i wanted.I decided to invest in a RK and am glad I did..it rides much better and is way better for 2 up and the power seems to be more responsive.I rode the deluxe to work every day and had to strap a bag to the sissy bar just to carry my lunch.got the RK loaded so its not a prob any more.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:11 AM
05Hog
Road Captain

Don't sweat the bags. I have an 05 Deluxe. The factory bags are too small. I took some stainless stock and made 2 brackets so the Heritage bags bolted up to my Deluxe without drilling any holes. They look good on the Deluxe plus they are big.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:22 AM
DaltonHD
Cruiser

Go with the RK..When I was shopping for my first 'real one' those in the know all said 'get a fat one.' I ended up with the RC and love it. Pop the shield off and it is an awsome bar-hopper and with the shield on it is a cruiser or tourer..It is called the 'King' for a reason..Ape that sucker and you have an evil lookin ride that covers all the classes.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

Which do you prefer, the 50's or the 60's? Finding a clean low-miler would tip me either way between those two bikes.....and the garage-queens are out there just waiting for your checkbook. Both cool bikes

Old 03-03-2009, 08:06 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are lucky enough to currently have both bikes, '05 Deluxe and '06 RKC. As already said, a bike is an extremely personal thing, it has to make you happy or it really doesn't matter. Definitely ride both and not just for 1/2 hour. Put some miles on both bikes. Then you have to decide what type of riding you want to do, long distance, 2-up, etc... For long 2-up rides, the RKC is definitely my choice. The RKC is a heavier bike, IMHO more suited and more comfortable for long rides, especially 2-up. The Deluxe is a lighter, easy bike to just go out and ride around on. These two bikes have two very different feels. Both are great bikes, but ultimately, the bike has to fit what you want to do!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by onionfmr
We are lucky enough to currently have both bikes, '05 Deluxe and '06 RKC. As already said, a bike is an extremely personal thing, it has to make you happy or it really doesn't matter. Definitely ride both and not just for 1/2 hour. Put some miles on both bikes. Then you have to decide what type of riding you want to do, long distance, 2-up, etc... For long 2-up rides, the RKC is definitely my choice. The RKC is a heavier bike, IMHO more suited and more comfortable for long rides, especially 2-up. The Deluxe is a lighter, easy bike to just go out and ride around on. These two bikes have two very different feels. Both are great bikes, but ultimately, the bike has to fit what you want to do!
What he said. ^

Old 03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ALL good points and opinions.
Mine? For LONG runs, give me the DeLuxe. For 'round town, give me the DeLuxe.
HUH???
Yep.
6'6", 38" inseam, RK is like riding inside a sardine can with landing gear this long. Knees are in the handlebars. Softtails are way easier to kick the pedals out where it fits. BUT I believe I'd be headed for a Heritage for MY purposes.

IF you be one of these, rent and ride the RK, "WE" don't have the same issues, then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvgLkuEtkA

Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 AM
Buck Naked
Cruiser

I've had an '07 Fatboy, which I traded for an '09 RKC with absolutely NO regrets. I think the person who said this said it best: You hear about people who go from a softail to a king all the time--you never hear about anyone going from a king to a softail...

Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 AM
doghair
Road Warrior

Oh the Deluxe, definitely.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:20 AM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You buy a softail for looks. You buy the RK or a bagger for touing and functionality. You buy a dyna (or a sportster) for performance. Ask youself what you want from your bike. They can all be made to be a little of what they are not (you can tour on a dyna for instance) but in the end they are what they are and you need to decide what you want.

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king