General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softail deluxe vs. road king

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having been a Road King owner, I can say that it is an all around bike and I miss my road king, but if you are wanting it for image the Heritage is the way to go, you can remove the bags and windshield to make it look like a Deluxe and still have the bags for traveling, just my 2 cents

Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Would definitely consider Heritage in the choice as well ... Want the Comfort and best ride get the Road King ... Am sure not all will agree with this .. Just my opinion...

Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

The trend I've noted here on this forum is that there are a lot of Softail owners who eventually traded to a Touring bike...including the Road King. Conversely, I've not heard of very many who went the other way. There's surely nothing wrong with either of your two choices...you'll have to test ride both. Personally, I really wanted a Fatboy until the Deluxe's were introduced. Friends talked me into testing a Road King Classic...and that is what I finally bought.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 PM
SD_Nick
Cruiser

I was in the same position. Wanted the RK function but the look and feel of a deluxe. I found my bike in Arizona.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:44 PM
waterproof
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks to all the responses so far. two of my good freinds have deluxes, so i have had some time on a deluxe and i love the ride. i haven't had any time on a road king, but there is a dealer close who rents bikes so taking out a road king for the day seems like my next move.
in terms of looks, i like the deluxe better, namely the lower slung seat and the cleaner look. but i do dig the bagger look. i like the leather bags and the hard bags as well, the one issue i would have is i think road kings dont look good from the back, especially because of the space between the fender and the bags. i have seen some custom work on baggers, with deeper bags and the longfishtail exhausts, i defeinately like that but are we talking $$$ for that kind of work?

Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 PM
E.Richardson
Tourer

Having never ridden the Road King I am not the most impartial person to speak to. I love my Deluxe and I guess I view it a little different because I do travel but I've never needed bags.

I know people are territorial about their bikes, makes etc. and I'm the same way, LOVE my Deluxe.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:33 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

just remember....
it's easier to pick up "fat chicks" on a RK

Old 03-02-2009, 11:20 PM
testifer
Road Master

1st off i would never ask anyone what bike they think i should buy. it depends on what your looking for. to me it sounds more like looks then function. personally i think the road king is the nicest looking bike. i also think think its the best 2 for 1 bikes that hd sells. it can be made to look like a bad ***, and it doesnt look bad as a bagger. what more can u ask for....i didnt even mention the ride blows away the deluxe. and for 2 up...the rk will give u more comfort. but then again, this is comming from a 2 road king owner.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 AM
05 HD Deluxe
Tourer

Both bikes are great bikes. It is all what YOU like and feel comfortable on. I had a deluxe and liked it allot but wanted a little more comfort. I came across a RK custom with many of the upgrades I wanted to do to my deluxe and more. Cost me little to upgrade and I absolutely love the king. Sitting down in the softail is nice but a lowered bagger with a nice seat is even nicer IMO

Old 03-03-2009, 01:08 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

strip down a king classic and you got one heck of a bar hoper
with a cruse controle

Quick Reply: softail deluxe vs. road king