General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We-ride-Free Promotion

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I took advantage as well. I figured if I did NOT do it now, for the new couple years the used Sporty market may be soft with all the traded in Sporties on the market.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

This is a classic, "If I knew THEN...what I know NOW" moment.... <evil grin>
I'da bought a Sportster, just to watch them puke while giving me MSRP for a 2 year old bike, with over 40,000 on the clock......
But with MY luck, there would be mileage limits or such

Old 03-04-2009, 07:06 AM
pottsy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skootchnc
This is a classic, "If I knew THEN...what I know NOW" moment.... <evil grin>
I'da bought a Sportster, just to watch them puke while giving me MSRP for a 2 year old bike, with over 40,000 on the clock......
But with MY luck, there would be mileage limits or such
My dealer told me, they have some fine print of 4000 miles per year, before they MIGHT ding you a bit. He said they took an '08 in with 24000 miles, and only dinged the guy $500.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:30 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I almost went for this deal.

My '08 XL1200C has 13K on it. MSRP for it is $10,385. At first the dealer tried to tell me that they would only give MSRP for a base vivid black 883. As if any fool couldn't read the HD website....

Eventually, after some arm-twisting and bluff-calling, they were going to give me full MSRP towards a Low Rider. I have always liked the FXDL: it looks classic, like a slightly larger Sportster Well, I rode it. It was not as quick, and the handling was not quite as sharp. And since I never ride two-up anyway....(wife rides her own)

So I walked. No regret. The dealer didn't exactly want the deal anyway (they even complained about the HD promotion.)

I put the ~$5K that the difference would have been into a new KLR. Couldn't be happier.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:04 PM
slackwolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pottsy
My dealer told me, they have some fine print of 4000 miles per year, before they MIGHT ding you a bit. He said they took an '08 in with 24000 miles, and only dinged the guy $500.
I had around 17k on my 07 XL1200C when I traded in on an 09 FLHTCU, and they took it no problem. The only issue we had was they were trying to give me msrp on a vivid black model XL1200C which was a few hundred less than the pacific blue pearl model that I had. They eventually agreed to give me the actual MSRP of my model and all was well. I searched the entire gulf coast and up into north alabama and mississippi and about the best deal I came across was at mississippi coast harley in biloxi. They were nice and got the bike I wanted for msrp out door with no freight/prep/doc fees which was better than any other dealer.... sadly enough... then I just paid sales tax when I registered the bike, which I didn't have to pay tax on the trade in allowance which saved another 700 or so.

so $9955 for a bike that was well ridden, plus about $700 off my sales tax on new bike, it worked out better than the $7k some dealers were gonna give me for the bike.... Funny enough I was actually going to trade in the bike even before this promotion after a few long days of riding the sporty around christmas, then dec 26th, the first day of promotion I was sitting at a harley dealer talking to a salesman and they mentioned about msrp trade-in.....

Old 03-04-2009, 02:45 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

It's also important to keep in mind that the dealer isn't having to eat anything. HD is giving them back the difference between what the normal trade-in would be, and the MSRP. So the dealer just ends up with a lot of good used Sportsters.
I'm not sure if they get all of it back. Do you know this for sure? That could be the plan but I don't know for sure. Maybe they get a set dollar amount from corporate for each sportster with more if they sell so many.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:49 PM
pottsy
Road Master

Originally Posted by AZ Rider
I'm not sure if they get all of it back. Do you know this for sure? That could be the plan but I don't know for sure. Maybe they get a set dollar amount from corporate for each sportster with more if they sell so many.
The owner of my local dealership told me that. He said, they get reimbursed by the moco, the difference between what they can list it for sale at, and what they have to give on it in trade. So, if they give you 10K, and they can only list it for say 8500, the moco is supposed to give them 1500 to make up the difference.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

I'm looking at the terms and conditions of the deal and I don't see anything specific about mileage. But the dealer has descretion regarding the condition of the bike so maybe that's why someone could get a bit less for high mileage. I know dealer participation is voluntary, so they don't have to honor this program. But they'll lose buisness to other dealerships so I suppose everyone's on board.

*TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Purchasers of new MY 2008 or 2009 Sportsters 883 or 1200:

The consumer ("purchaser") must purchase a new previously untitled MY 2008 or 2009 Sportster 883 or 1200, excluding XR1200, ("qualifying new motorcycle") between December 26, 2008 and March 31, 2009 ("offer period").

The purchaser who purchases a qualifying new motorcycle during the offer period has the option to trade in the qualifying new motorcycle at its original MSRP value towards the purchase of a Harley Big Twin motorcycle. Only one claim per VIN is eligible & participant must be the original owner of that vehicle.

The trade-in must occur no later than one year after the date of purchase of the qualifying new motorcycle as reflected in the official purchase contract.

The purchaser must have the original bill of sale and titled in the original owner's name as valid proof of purchase of the qualifying new motorcycle at time of trade-in to qualify for this offer.

The MSRP value used for trade-in will be the factory-delivered MSRP (including factory installed options) of the qualifying new motorcycle excluding parts and accessories, taxes, freight, titles, licenses, set-up/prep charges, Extended Service Plan, GAP coverage and any dealer add-ons, and regardless of the amount actually paid.

The trade-in can only be used for Harley Big Twin motorcycles, which includes all Touring, Softail, Dyna, VRSC models. Excludes XR1200 & Police Models.

The purchaser is responsible for the difference between the trade-in value of the qualifying new motorcycle and the purchase price of the Harley Big Twin.

Trade-in must be a stock vehicle in good condition and good working order. Tires, suspension, engine, and transmission must all be within factory specifications and are subject to inspection by the participating H-D dealer. Vehicle exterior cannot reflect neglect or abuse. The participating H-D dealer will make the sole determination regarding whether the trade-in is in good working condition and good working order.

The purchaser is responsible for all costs of operating and maintaining the qualifying new motorcycle prior to trade-in.

This offer may not be combined with any other promotions, offers or discounts.
This offer is not transferable except to the original owner's spouse or to the original owner's legally recognized domestic partner, provided such person lives in the same household and has the same permanent address as the original owner.

The dealer may require documentation to substantiate this relationship before extending the offer to the spouse or domestic partner. This offer is not redeemable in cash.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
AZ Rider
Road Warrior

The owner of my local dealership told me that. He said, they get reimbursed by the moco, the difference between what they can list it for sale at, and what they have to give on it in trade. So, if they give you 10K, and they can only list it for say 8500, the moco is supposed to give them 1500 to make up the difference.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:55 PM
pottsy
Road Master

On the mileage issue. Again, came from the dealer, I didn't see any documentation of it. He said, that in general, on any trade in the allow about 4000 miles per year of ownership. After that they MIGHT deduct some depending on the condition of the bike.

Quick Reply: We-ride-Free Promotion