General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Florida license plate law...email the rep who initiated the law

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 02:51 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey BlueT, you'd be amazed at all the VERY BAD DRIVERS that flock to the NC mtns every spring from FL. I don't think they have ever seen a road that turns. I sure would hate to be the one that has to keep brakes on their cars too.
Bad drivers are everywhere, look out and be safe.
Oh yeah, and who cares if you have to leave your plate horizontal?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:55 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

The way I had it explained to me....is that most cops don't care if your plate is vertical or horizontal.....BUT, they will use the law as a tool to pull you over if they think you may have other 'issues'. Just like your license plate light onyour car....if you ar e driving fine, then no problem if your light is burned out. If you happen to swerve one too many times, the LEO can stop you because you light is out, then attempt to tell if you are under the influence. If you ride with a vertical plate is just one more reason to be pulled over.....only to find that you have no insurance to ride without a helmet, and gee...your headlight is not aimed properly, did you know your front tire is worn.....etc.
People more affected by the law will be the crotch-rocket riders that have their plates tucked up under their inner fender.

chuck

Old 02-28-2009, 03:18 PM
BlueT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mccrider- your right, we do have VERY BAD DRIVERS in Fl too. Many of them are older people have glocoma and really should not be driving. Although, I can understand it really is a freedom restrictor especially because public transportation is practially non existant here.

I know of poeple that do not have insurance on their bikes. From the link below: "Florida, including motorcycles. Thus the voluntary purchase of motor vehicle liability insurance by an owner, operator or owner/ operator is highly recommended." Seems like a volintary option? I would not go without insurance personally, but there are probably many that don't have it.

Here in Florida, it's even unlawful to modify the exhaust pipe beyond the manufacture noise level.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/l...t.asp?state=FL

From the link above, the law says you can ride side by side in the same lane on a motor cycle, but the safety course you "must" take to even get your license specifically tells you to never ever ride side by side in the same lane with another bike because there will be no room if you need to make a quick reaction ----- But - I see bikes ride side by side in the same lane all the time though.

Anyway, nothing in the link above about tag orientation

Old 02-28-2009, 03:46 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, if it is because of the scanning issue (horizontal plate) why isn't there a fine for people that feel a need to mount their plate inside the rear tinted window? It may seem like a small battle, but as we allow uneducated people to nibble away at our rights with ridiculous laws (3d time with plate vertical = jail, fine, & 10 years without a license). This still is America isn't it? I know that certain parts of Miami are questionable, but where are the similar laws for the cagers? What about similar fines for illegal lane changes for the scores of Mario Andretti's that drive in Miami? What about the fines for cagers that don't want to wait in the left turn lane and instead drive in the right lane and make a left turn in front of all the people waiting to turn? What about the cagers that illegally block intersections because they don't want to wait for the next light?

Did I just say all that out loud? I am sure people will be offended, but I feel we should fight for every encroachment on our rights without justified reasoning and fairness. We don't need stupid people making stupid laws just because they can. And it isn't just here in Florida...

Old 02-28-2009, 04:01 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, I just stated simple fact regarding privacy as mentioned above. Responding to a "know it all" is pointless.
You're getting old cHarley and that's fine. I just happen to ask more questions when things that are mentioned don't seem to follow any reasonable logic and if something that is unknown can be better understood I'm all for it as opposed to accepting it at face value. Now if that makes someone a know it all, then I am interested in what they know as opposed to what they may think.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:26 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Slap them down now or eventually here's your future . . .

Old 02-28-2009, 08:47 PM
BMdeckie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Grind
All I have to ask is, what's so horrible about leaving the plate horizontal, as it was intended? What's so great about mounting the plate vertical?
Cause thats the way the bike was made?!?!? Granted I could change it out, but I would rather put that money on the hand tooled seat.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
I'm glad I will never have to worry about either one of these "laws". but what is the wrong with a verticle mounted license plate? Is it that hard to read when non-horizontal?
Of course it is... they may drop their cell phone when they **** their head to read the plate...

Charlie D.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:36 AM
cobrabob
Road Captain

You know what the real problem was. The State thought they were going to have to punch the holes different for the vertical mounted plates and the whole chad thing would get started all over again.