Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Florida license plate law...email the rep who initiated the law

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
I'm glad I will never have to worry about either one of these "laws". but what is the wrong with a verticle mounted license plate? Is it that hard to read when non-horizontal?
The answer wouldn't fall within the difficulty of reading it. It would however downgrade the officers image when he or she got up to your bike to write you a ticket with the remains of a jelly or creme filled donut running down their pant leg from trying to eat said donut while looking sideways to read the plate during consumption of that donut..

Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Grind
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have to ask is, what's so horrible about leaving the plate horizontal, as it was intended? What's so great about mounting the plate vertical?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 AM
rydermike
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's mostly for the new automatic plate scanners law enforcement is using now. That part I have issue with .... just scanning looking for anything with no reasonable doubt , but which way it's mounted on my own bike (or car for that matter) I could care less , always thought the vertical looked ridiculous anyway with letter's/numbers sideways...... just appears like a wrecked bike with a part skewed.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a "right" not worth fighting for. The plates are there for a purpose, and to be effective they must be able to be easily and quickly read. We don't want to dilute the battle for important rights, like abolishing helmet laws, by screwing around with an issue like vertical plates.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 301 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mp
This is a "right" not worth fighting for. The plates are there for a purpose, and to be effective they must be able to be easily and quickly read. We don't want to dilute the battle for important rights, like abolishing helmet laws, by screwing around with an issue like vertical plates.
+1 - IMO, you got to pick your battles, there are more important issues worth fighting for.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:07 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rydermike
I think it's mostly for the new automatic plate scanners law enforcement is using now. That part I have issue with .... just scanning looking for anything with no reasonable doubt , but which way it's mounted on my own bike (or car for that matter) I could care less , always thought the vertical looked ridiculous anyway with letter's/numbers sideways...... just appears like a wrecked bike with a part skewed.
First, this has nothing to do with "rights" and more to do with stupidity. When they make the operation of a motor vehicle a "right" in this country I and others like yourself will probably be long dead. Second, we do have a "right" to privacy and if the "law" in your state allows the use of the local or national license data base to just check you out for the hell of it, I would say you folks have a real problem in Florida because this would be unauthorized access. At present there is an investigation in Tennessee for this very thing where a State Trooper had been checking people out for no reason according to the governor's office.

To me, the plate is no more or less difficult to read in either the vertical or horizontal position. If the law enforcement agencies were having such a hard time reading them why not just go to a speed brake sized plate like those used in Europe. They could read those from the donut shop down the block.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:22 PM
cHarley
Club Member

The automatic scanning of plates in Florida really has nothing to do with the driver/rider or their personal information. The scanned plate number is run against a database of plate numbers that have been flagged as revoked or reported as stolen.

It's nothing more than an efficient way to ID stolen vehicles or plates and vehicles on the road for which the plate has been revoked by the state, ie. no proof of insurance.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM
7/11 The Crapshooter
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
It's nothing more than an efficient way to ID stolen vehicles or plates and vehicles on the road for which the plate has been revoked by the state, ie. no proof of insurance.
So let me get this straight, this electromechanical device that is supposed to be efficient is so inefficient it can't read an alpha numeric text that is vertical as opposed to horizontal? Geez, something the human eye and brain can do that some high dollar machine can't? I love it. Is it color blind too?

Old 02-28-2009, 02:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by 7/11 The Crapshooter
So let me get this straight, this electromechanical device that is supposed to be efficient is so inefficient it can't read an alpha numeric text that is vertical as opposed to horizontal? Geez, something the human eye and brain can do that some high dollar machine can't? I love it. Is it color blind too?
Sorry, I just stated simple fact regarding privacy as mentioned above. Responding to a "know it all" is pointless.

Last edited by cHarley; 02-28-2009 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
BlueT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Uh, do you really think that a Florida lawmaker is going to care what I, in Oklahoma, think? Better rally Floridians to contact their own representatives to put pressure on the author.
Florida does have politions just giving lip service (look at the home and auto insurance rape that is happening). But actually, I think the horizontal tag is a good idea anyway.

But, why would it matter if your in another state?

I mean, Florida is filled with people that don't live here full time or visit for months at a time. The old people that live here are bad enough drivers, then compound that with the VERY BAD DRIVERS that flock here during the winter from the North and Canada and it's an outright a mess ..... and year after year it just gets worse.

Just this week on 3 occasions, I personally seen the first aid lifting a wrecked motorcycle or put the cyclist in an ambulance. I know some of this has nothing to do with a vertical plate, but I'd think any voice would be counted. How could they tell if you don't own a second property to reside in Florida from an email address?

Quick Reply: The Florida license plate law...email the rep who initiated the law