General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley "new" image

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:32 PM
ctsbob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley "new" image

Looking around, it seems that Harley is really making a reach for younger riders that have the X-games mentality. All new videos and pics showing skateboarders, snowboarders,and other extremes sports. I am glad to see Harley catering to us. I snowboard all winter long and ride the rest. Is Harley successfull at moving away from its core market or is this just a branch out to attract the fringe elements? Or is a skateboarder just turning off the older crowd? And as to the dark custom..BRAVO! but the 2009 streetbob should be removed. The silver motor takes away from the concept of "dark"...even if it has a denim paint job.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 PM
NavyPT
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's not forget their sponsorship in the UFC. I see their logo in the octagon all the time now.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD markets to all age groups, so don't let your young head get too swelled up. ;-)

Old 02-27-2009, 01:07 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Harley is also marketing to women and minorities, but the key focus is on younger riders. You see, Japanese companies have brand recognition with buyers who grew up riding their bikes. Harley does not because they don't offer youth bikes. Harley is working to change the perception younger buyers have toward the HD brand, their products and the stereotypical view of a Harley rider.

Last edited by Geoff; 02-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Big Poppa Pump
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot, I picked up some Bar and Shield adorned Depends from the store earlier this week.

They market to all sorts. I even heard a rumor that they will soon be coming out with a campaign to attract interracial, french speaking, Lesbian hermaphrodites. Should make for an interesting sales brochure.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Cockroach
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being a harley rider, i can say this honestly:
Harley markets to people who want to pay way too much for their bikes. They market the tough guy image to all groups of people.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not exactly sure how to put this in here.
BUT, the fact that the MoCo is/was finally smart enough to catch on, albeit, not ahead of the curve, is a good thing.
They missed out on the rebirth of the chopper craze. BUT they did notice bobbers, were likewise catching on. So they started selling them, right off the showroom floor. And they just happen to be an 'entry' level scoot ($$). Black it out, and how many have sold in their short lifespan?

The down side? Yes, it's geared towards the younger crowd, and that's a good thing. What isn't good, is why are THEY (MoCo) building them, instead of the younger crowd? When a lot of us wanted something sleeker, faster, shinier, what have you, you and a few of your drinkin' buds, put some ideas together in the grudge.
It APPEARS to me, Now it has to be 'instant', or it's not worth it. Jus' my opinion based on what I see and hear.

And before you dismiss the Ol' Fart. I have one of only 6 DeWalt snowboards made. We frequent Spirit Mountain when time and $$ allow. My youngest is a snowboard fanatic. AND he rides, too. No he didn't build it. But he did help build the Cap'n, restore the 78, and a Sporty we did for his buddy.
Have to admit, he was 'rice rocket' crazy in high school. Thumbed his nose at the Cap'n, but thought the 01 Ultra 124" was the 'ticket'.
Well, this critter shows up in the shop, guy needs $$ bad. One ride outside of town on the 2 lane, You know the rest.
Now he's wanting to know if he can 'borrow' the 78 FLH, once in a while.
Amazing how fast that transformation takes place, huh?

Just wisht more guys were DIY. NOT that there are not some GREAT scoots on here, hand built, so to speak, I'm talking majority, NOT totality.
My kid is one, too. Even tho he knows the 'other' side.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Cockroach
Being a harley rider, i can say this honestly:
Harley markets to people who want to pay way too much for their bikes. They market the tough guy image to all groups of people.
That's right. With half the U.S. market and a third of the global one, Harley is the largest manufacturer of cruiser motorcycles marketed to people who want to pay way too much for their bikes.

Old 02-27-2009, 02:53 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only smart business to expand the brand. I support their new marketing efforts. Shakes things up a little too..keeps things fresh. Only the strong will survive in this financial envirnment.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Not exactly sure how to put this in here.
BUT, the fact that the MoCo is/was finally smart enough to catch on, albeit, not ahead of the curve, is a good thing.
They missed out on the rebirth of the chopper craze. BUT they did notice bobbers, were likewise catching on. So they started selling them, right off the showroom floor. And they just happen to be an 'entry' level scoot ($$). Black it out, and how many have sold in their short lifespan?

The down side? Yes, it's geared towards the younger crowd, and that's a good thing. What isn't good, is why are THEY (MoCo) building them, instead of the younger crowd? When a lot of us wanted something sleeker, faster, shinier, what have you, you and a few of your drinkin' buds, put some ideas together in the grudge.
It APPEARS to me, Now it has to be 'instant', or it's not worth it. Jus' my opinion based on what I see and hear.

And before you dismiss the Ol' Fart. I have one of only 6 DeWalt snowboards made. We frequent Spirit Mountain when time and $$ allow. My youngest is a snowboard fanatic. AND he rides, too. No he didn't build it. But he did help build the Cap'n, restore the 78, and a Sporty we did for his buddy.
Have to admit, he was 'rice rocket' crazy in high school. Thumbed his nose at the Cap'n, but thought the 01 Ultra 124" was the 'ticket'.
Well, this critter shows up in the shop, guy needs $$ bad. One ride outside of town on the 2 lane, You know the rest.
Now he's wanting to know if he can 'borrow' the 78 FLH, once in a while.
Amazing how fast that transformation takes place, huh?

Just wisht more guys were DIY. NOT that there are not some GREAT scoots on here, hand built, so to speak, I'm talking majority, NOT totality.
My kid is one, too. Even tho he knows the 'other' side.

Gump, not being mean or nothin', but love the color coordinated shades.

Quick Reply: Harley "new" image