General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley "new" image

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:28 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The XR1200 stops on a dime.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fred00
And btw, I totally agree with some other poster in this thread. If a $9k 600cc bike can come with top notch brakes and suspension, then surely Harley can find a way to put it on a $20k bike too. But they are smart, they know people buy the bikes anyway, so why would they care to change anything?
They would change, because their formula won't continue to work. The suggestion that as bikers age, they will go to Harley is absurd. The older folks who like Harley now are either new to bikes, or rode HD when they were younger, back when the HD technology was less dated, or even new.

The kids who grew up with $9k, 600cc, 100hp, 300ilb, stop on a dime bikes, buy sport-tourers when they get older, not Harley.

Imagine if the Nightster has a little technology applied to it stock: 100hp Evo using Buel parts, Brembos, lightweight carbon tins and frame. A 100hp, 400ilb, high-performance Sportster for $11k would steal a lot of the youth market away from the $9k sportsbike market.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

I rode Jap bikes for years. Started with Hondas, the Yamahas, Can Ams, Kawaskis, all great bikes. Always wondered what all the big hoopla was about a Harley. Then I rode one. I was sold and got one for myself. The wife loves riding too. Always went with me on rides, some pretty long ones, all on the Jap road bikes. Very dependable. But she felt like me before and after riding a Harley.

They are a different breed of bike. Anyone who buys one should already know what to expect. They should have done their homework. Its not like they haven't been around for a long. Those of you who don't like your Harley, sell it, give it away or whatever. Get a bike that will keep you from b!tchin and complainin about it all the time. They are what they are, you either like them or you don't. There are many other brands out there, and the reason? Different people like different things.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

For the record, I love my Harley. It has all the stuff I'm bitching about: 100+hp out of the box, Brembos, the weight is still an issue, but I've got it down to under 600ilbs, the suspension is better than most Harleys. I think they hit a home run with the NightRodSpecial, I got mine for 14,600, and they're more now, so they are still not entry level bikes. That's the issue, the VRSC line has shown that HD can to breaks and suspension at little or no additional cost to the consumer if they think the market demands it, since the VRSC line is no more expensive than the upper end Dynas and Softails.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
schumacher
Club Member

I know how to end this argument real quick............

Buells are Harley's, and a lot of those Metric cruisers don't stop all that well themselves.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I know how to end this argument real quick............

Buells are Harley's, and a lot of those Metric cruisers don't stop all that well themselves.
Buell's aren't Harley's, otherwise they wouldn't be called Buell"s. And most hardcore HD guy's don't even consider a VROD to be a Harley.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

Buells are Harley's
That's arguable. The better point would be the VRSC line, that all come with brembos stock, 100+hp out of the box, and say Harley Davidson on the side. But we're talking about the entry level bikes in the sportster price range.

and a lot of those Metric cruisers don't stop all that well themselves.

Yeah, metric cruisers are the worst.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
A 100hp, 400ilb, high-performance Sportster for $11k would steal a lot of the youth market away from the $9k sportsbike market.
That's what the VRod was suppose to do, but then they priced it out of reach of the rocketeers.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:36 PM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by Herr Monk

Yeah, metric cruisers are the worst.
I'm being serious. Friend of mine had a 750 Shadow that I rode a few times.
Had a single disc up front, and drum brakes in back. Didn't stop very well at all.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member

I'm being serious. Friend of mine had a 750 Shadow that I rode a few times.
Had a single disc up front, and drum brakes in back. Didn't stop very well at all.
My mom has one of those. It's a deathtrap, 560 pounds, about 20 rwhp, and worthless brakes... then again, it was only $4000 new from the dealer...

Quick Reply: Harley "new" image