General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley "new" image

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Fred00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think Harley could run into trouble in the future. I don't think todays sportbike riders will be lining up to buy Harleys when they get older. I think most of them will go for a naked/upright sportbike or a sport touring bike. OR, they will stay with their old brand and buy a japanese cruiser.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Squee
Cruiser

Towards the end of 07' I had bought my first Harley, an 08 Nightster. Loved that bike so much it made me hang up my skateboard for that year. My halfpipe has been given no love that year.

However, after that first year I realized that I needed something that gave me room to stretch out. So I traded it in for an 09 Streetbob. (I personally love the look). A few other details that had me sold on trading it in...

This year, I plan on putting the skateboard on the back of the bike and taking a tour of the skateparks in the New England area.

If it wasn't for the Nightster, I would have waited on buying a bike (though it was inevitable for me to get one). I was never a fan of a lot of chrome. So to me it would appear that their marketing scheme is working.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look at my own time with HD. When I graduated from dirt bikes I wanted an HD cause it was what was the cool bike to own. I could not afford one, but I could afford a basket case sporty. That eventually led to a basket case Panhead, which now that I do have that disposable income led to a new Ultra.

But think about it, that Sporty ended up freeing someone else's cash to possibly purchase a larger bike, same with the Panhead. So the great circle of life was in effect.

Now take HD's new marketing and while some of the kids can't afford a new bike now, they might be looking to buy someone olders lightly used bike so that that person can buy a new one. It all works eventually. :-)

Old 03-02-2009, 02:03 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

I'd like to see better value for the price of Harley's. Brakes and suspension to me are big areas needed for improvement. Brembo's, Buell's radial brake and suspension (e.g. Ohlins) would make the bikes handle better. I think ABS is a step in the right direction...although the electronics part of it I'm not to keen on. Harley's ABS demo at the 105th was an eye opener vs. not having them.

I purchased used (only 10,100 miles on a '97 in Nov '04) as I didn't want to pay the new cycle price and then just change things out.

I'm also putting my money where my mouth is: upgrades to the engine, 4-pistion brakes F and R (although only PM and not Brembo - didn't know they had chrome brakes) and Ohlins suspension is coming. I notice a few other shortcomings after riding my Ducati Monster 900 quite a bit this winter...but I also know they are two different bikes and knew going in what each were. The Ducati does not keep up with the Jap crotch rockets of similar size. So be it.

I also identify more with the younger crowd...as I liked to do more of what they do (e.g. snowboard, wakeboard, etc.) than the "older" crowd as I'm more physically active. I feel it is a good idea to market to the younger crowd...eventually they get older and may want more of cruiser-type bike.

Last edited by GREENOHAWK69; 03-02-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GREENOHAWK69
I'd like to see better value for the price of Harley's. Brakes and suspension to me are big areas needed for improvement. Brembo's, Buell's radial brake and suspension (e.g. Ohlins) would make the bikes handle better. I think ABS is a step in the right direction...although the electronics part of it I'm not to keen on. Harley's ABS demo at the 105th was an eye opener vs. not having them.
Yes. They ought to come with it, standard, for the premium you pay. Good brakes are not a "customization", a chrome caliper is a customization, decent brakes ought to standard on a premium product. I couldn't believe how poor the brakes were on my 07 Dyna.

Last edited by Herr Monk; 03-02-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Brakes was spelled wrong.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:54 PM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Herr Monk
Yes. They ought to come with it, standard, for the premium you pay. Good breaks are not a "customization", a chrome caliper is a customization, decent breaks ought to standard on a premium product. I couldn't believe how poor the breaks were on my 07 Dyna.
Correct on that.

Herr...FYI...B-R-A-K-E-S, not breaks. Not trying to be a jackazz. I was hoping you'd see it in my post.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:59 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ctsbob
Looking around, it seems that Harley is really making a reach for younger riders that have the X-games mentality. All new videos and pics showing skateboarders, snowboarders,and other extremes sports. I am glad to see Harley catering to us. I snowboard all winter long and ride the rest. Is Harley successfull at moving away from its core market or is this just a branch out to attract the fringe elements? Or is a skateboarder just turning off the older crowd? And as to the dark custom..BRAVO! but the 2009 streetbob should be removed. The silver motor takes away from the concept of "dark"...even if it has a denim paint job.
They haven't changed, they've always marketed to "knuckle draggers".

Old 03-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Fred00
Road Captain

And btw, I totally agree with some other poster in this thread. If a $9k 600cc bike can come with top notch brakes and suspension, then surely Harley can find a way to put it on a $20k bike too. But they are smart, they know people buy the bikes anyway, so why would they care to change anything?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:22 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fred00
and btw, i totally agree with some other poster in this thread. If a $9k 600cc bike can come with top notch brakes and suspension, then surely harley can find a way to put it on a $20k bike too. But they are smart, they know people buy the bikes anyway, so why would they care to change anything?
bingo!

Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryFXST
Werd. I don't mean anything personal here, but, you (EGlideKid) bought the king of touring bikes yet you're pulling it around on a custom trailer. I mean, damn, dude, what was the point?
ummm - the trailer he is referring to is one he pulls behind the bike.....not one that carries the bike......

Quick Reply: Harley "new" image