General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike shuts off

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:46 PM
DaBluzDude
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike shuts off

'05 FLSTFSE, about 800 miles, I bought a week ago (had about 600 miles). Took a ride this morning about 40 miles, no problems, turned bike off for about 45 minutes, no problems, ran about another 12 miles, turned off for about thirty minutes, no problem. ran about 5 miles, bike starts to feel like it is missing a bit, I continue on my way then the miss becomes definately distinguishable. stop at stop sign, idle is fine, on my way again start to feel the miss, then bike cuts off completely, dead, no guages, no signals, no nothin'. I grab the clutch and coast off the road to a safe spot (luckily). Turned ignition off, back on, nothing. waited about two minutes, tried again, everything came to life, and made it home without further issue. This afternoon I decided to check it out with another short ride. less than a mile, started to feel the miss, then dead, coasted to a safe spot (my luck is still hanging on). waited a couple of minutes, fired up and back home. Everything I know to look at looks ok. battery has a good full charge, nice tight clean connections, all fuses and relay nicely seated. Any ideas?

thanks,

Pat

Old 04-23-2006, 11:16 PM
rj164
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Bike shuts off

I don't know if it's the same problem I just had, the bike missed and lost power, and if I pull in the cultch the engine would die, hard to start afterward, just got it back for the 2nd time, the believe it was the vacuum valve, dirty in the line cause this problem .
I may have got dirty gas some where they think, so far it's good, I don't know if this will help, good luck

Old 04-23-2006, 11:24 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a main fuse link getting too hot or possibly bad from factory to me. Also check all the battery cable connections and make sure they are tight as well.

Old 04-23-2006, 11:50 PM
DaBluzDude
5th Gear

I agree, these were my first areas of suspect. Battery cables appear to be tight. I can't locate any "main fuse" other than the stuff in the fusebox (fuses and relays in there). Another person suggested looking at the "maxi-fuse", but I don't think this bike has one. At least I can't locate it, and it is not shown in the owners manual. The problem is almost certainly electrical though.

thanks for your help,
Pat

Oh, nice ride you you have there!

Old 04-23-2006, 11:57 PM
Branded
Road Master

Check the wires coming from the voltage regulator where they run back along the frame. The wires are known to rub the frame and wear away the insulation and create a short in the electrical system.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:19 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Do a search on this. I remember reading a thread about an ignition short that was either in the ignition switch wiring or the kill switch wiring.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Branded

Check the wires coming from the voltage regulator where they run back along the frame. The wires are known to rub the frame and wear away the insulation and create a short in the electrical system.
Happened to me.Shorted everything out[:@]

Old 04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
DaBluzDude
5th Gear

Dealer called to say they have it fixed. Loose wire at the main breaker. hmmm...I thought this bike did not have any breakers. I guess it was too much trouble for the MoCo to mention it in the owners manual. Anyway, I won't be able to pick it up until later in the week, so we'll see. Thanks to all that replied.

peace,
pat